Importing dreaded "gun parts"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Red Label

Importing dreaded "gun parts"

Post by Red Label »

I can't for the life of me understand what's up with Canada Customs regs.

A few weeks ago I wanted a new scope....can't order from USA

Then I bought some parts from Brownells, cosmetic parts for my rifle, no problem.

I just ordered a stock from Lock Stock and Barrel....can't ship to Canada.
I'm having it drop shipped to USA to a friend who's bringing it up later.

So I can't order scopes because I might look at someone through it and I can't order a stock because I might beat someone with it....I already have the "dangerous" part of the rifle and it's registered for Pete's sake... :?

Post by Guest »

It's a surprise, I know, but this time the problem is arising on the South side of the border.

It's US export regulations that are the problem.

They don't want to supply terrorists with products that might be used against US interests. They went a tad overboard, though. If you get a synthetic stock for your Cooey .22 that oughtn't make you a potential threat. Of course our government won't complain. They have bigger issues with the US, such as BSE and softwood lumber, and besides, our government would be happy to see us starved of firearms related products.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

okay - I understand.

I can see restricting sales of barreled actions or gun kits, but simple optics and synthetic stocks? That boggles my mind.

The most confusing thing is, some vendors say "okay", and some say "no way".

Mike
Spring

Post by Spring »

The story I got has alittle more to it than that. Yes the problem is on the US side but nothing could make the Canuck government happier. No guns, no crime is one thing, but if there were no gun owners things would be alot simpler. So anything the US can do to pi$$ off Canadian gun owners meets with full approval of our government and therefore they are not about to intervene. But that's not what this is really about.

In some cases individual companies on the US side have just stopped shipping to Canada because it was too big a pain in the a$$ trying to figure out what the flavour of the week is and what shipments might get through and which ones would will hung up or returned to them.

Now here's the story behind the story. Take it with however many grains of salt you wish.

Seems there were some surplus Bell helicopters on the US side. The US is pretty particular as to who they sell surplus military equipment to. In this case they sold them to a "Canadian" thinking that was a safe bet only to have them turn up in Ireland, and in the wrong hands.

Also seems that there is a fair trade in surplus equipment turning up in not so nice places, Kosavo among them where that equipment was ostensibly sold to a "Canadian" or a "Canadian" company and intended for use in Canada.

The upshot of it is that the US government it PO'ed at the Canadian government that this has happened. The Canadian government behind the scenes is hugely embarrassed at all of this. It kinda tarnishes their Boy Scout image.

Folks probably didn't notice a couple of years ago when CSIS and the RCMP made a couple of arrests in connection with arms in Ireland. This was the Canadian response to the helicopter thing.

So the American government is PO'ed at the Canadian government and one way they've spanked them is by limiting what arms, components, and supplies are allowed to leave the US for Canada. While its an embarrassment to the Canadian government, the whole thing kinda suits their purpose. And so it goes.

Cheers!
chessy

Post by chessy »

red label i have to disagree with the guest post above ... i contacted candadian customs and they tell me it is part of the gun regesty act any thing firearms related with not be able to be shipped to canada ... range finders and even clothing if it is hunting apparel ....
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I believe Chessy is right. I've wanted to get a barrel from Cabela's for years but they say they cannot ship because of Canadian laws and if I want to I will have to go through some gov't agency in order get it shipped here. Again, no sense is made. A barrel is nothing more than a steel pipe. I bet I could order a pipe from the states.
Don

Post by Don »

Remember some of those terrorists were canadian citizens you know. So you could be one of them buying parts to put a missle launcher together or something.

It's all a load of crap if you ask me.
Bet you can order all the parts from the state to put a bomb together but you can't order the parts to fix up your legal weapons.

Don :cry: :x
Spring

Post by Spring »

Such things as hunting apparel, range finders and gun cases are not part of the Firearms Act, yet they are being restricted. I'm not sure why Customs would say they were. Those folks should know better.

I'd kinda like to get whoever at Customs said that to show me where it says that in the legislation. Somebody is BS-ing somebody.

Cheers!

Post by Guest »

It's a matter of export licencing in the US. For those companies that do little business in Canada, it's not worth the cost of getting a licence and the extra paper work involved in exporting. I just last week bought a hunting scope from the US and when it entered Canada it was inspected by Customs. I have a PAL but no one bothered to ask me about it. I just bought bullets from Lock Stock & Barrel. I think there is a threshold of $100.00 US and if the product is valued at less, most product can be exported without special licencing.

Maybe Canada Customs are also being horses butts, but the problem starts in the US.

Guest Again (my user name doesn't come up and I can't correct the problem)
claude

Post by claude »

I have been stopped twice coming back into canada just before the
border by the U.S AFT and border partol they asked if i had any firearms reloading equipment or firearme related products I didn't , so I asked the guy what would happen if I did he said they would seize them I read a
couple of articles in the access to firearms by people that this happened to
Tom

Post by Tom »

I was told a year or two ago that getting parts for my personal gun across the boarder would not be a problem from them (Canadian Customs), but if I was a retailer, then there would be aprox. a 6 month wait for the parts.

The trouble is, acording to Cdn Customs was that retailers did not want the responsibility of declaring or where it was going to. IF Customs were to find out that they were shipping to retailers, then there could be problems (delays) with all of their shipments across the boarder into Canada. The loss of certain revenue (gun part sales) is weighed with the contunied easy shipments (little delays at boarder) into Canada.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]