Long distance low velocity

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

archerytho

Long distance low velocity

Post by archerytho »

I will be getting a vixen 2 soon, using the HHA optimiser.

Because of the low velocity I know with the HHA all the way up I probably wont get much Further than 80 yards, ( I dont intend to use the sight tapes).

later on after some tweaking, I will buy a standard multi reticule scope whilst still using the dial. to achieve maximum distance i will need a scope meant for a low velocity bow, so i can use the main standard reticule and the lowest for long shots.
Do you know of any scopes made for low velocity bows?
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
paulaboutform

Re: Long distance low velocity

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm curious, why wouldn't you use the appropriate tape that comes with the HHA? If you don't plan on using them I'm happy to take them off your hands.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

I hope you are not planning on shooting deer at 80 yards :shock: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

Maybe I didn't explain properly but if i were to use the tapes this whole idea would be point less. ill explain a different way.

Using the vixen 2 say i am shooting about 260fps.

using a multi reticule scope,
I sight in as you normally would with a HHA Dial using the main crosshair.

okay if i fill in the extra space on the tape i can get lets just say 90 yards.

now that I have 90 yards of adjustment and I want more adjustment to shoot further (this is my whole question)

I will use the lowest reticule and drop the speed on the scope, reset the dial to 0 and shoot lets say with the scope on the lowest adjustment and the dial on 0 using the furtherest reticule i can hit 60 yards.

now here is when i will be able to shoot past my previous 90 yards, because i have a handicap of 60 yards by using the "60 yard reticule".

now obviously i know that the maximum distance achievable isn't going to be 90 plus 60, because arrow drop taking over and becoming a rain bow trajectory, but i think that i will be able to shoot a lot further and this is what a I want.

So now, Maybe this is all i should have said but for this idea to work to the best potential, i will need a scope that is designed for low speed bows,

????????????So in short, What is a good scope that can be used for a really low speed bow???????????

And now obviously i wont be shooting animals at this distance not shooting animals.

Thank you for your time
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'd just put a V-zone on it and shoot............. :mrgreen:

I tried to follow your explanation but couldn't, fwiw...... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
galamb

Post by galamb »

Ok, read your post a few times and I kinda/sorta see what you are getting at.

You want to "compound" your aim point using both some sort of ranging adapted scope PLUS the HHA.

So what I did was throw some numbers into my ballistics calculator to see what would happen the further you stretched it out.

Now it wouldn't let me "zero" the range further than 60 yards (gagged trying to calculate a longer zero distance with a crossbow).

But @ a 60 yard zero, shooting a Vix II with the factory string and a 390'ish bolt (which would make somewhere in the 260fps @ the muzzle), you would achieve max height above sight line @ 31 yards (24.98" - so well over 2 feet above your LOS to target).

It would impact at the sight line @ 60 yards.

@ 70 yards it is now down below 230 fps and is 23.49" "below" LOS
@ 80 yards it's at 225 fps and 51.81" below
@ 90 yards it's running 221 fps and 83.43" below (almost 7 feet below your 60 yard zero)

If you could somehow make it to 100 yards @ 217 fps you would be 125.30" (over 10 feet) lower than your 60 yard zero impact point, more than 12 below the high point in the arc of travel.

So first off, I don't know if you could "fill in" enough on the tape to get to 90 yards - it starts dropping off "disproportionately" (non-linear because you are also losing speed in addition to the gravity effects, never mind what the wind is doing to you that far out).

But lets say you could wring out the HHA to maybe 70-something yards and achieve "zero".

The best reticles on any scope are only giving you about 30-something inches of extra "drop" from the center crosshair (if you are following me - getting confused myself :lol: ), so I would suggest you might only "wring" another 10-15 yards out of the (compensation) reticles on the scope if you are already dialed out to the max with the HHA.

AND you would be holding 5-7 feet "high" - but that would allow you to shoot with a crowd standing directly in front of you :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I think I understand what he's talking about. Correct me if I'm mistaken, it's been know to happen now and then. You want to use the hash marks in the scope to dial in out to 50yards or 60yards. Beyond that range you want to mark the blank tapes of the HHA beyond that range as far as you can stretch it. Your Optimizer will be set at zero when you are shooting using the hash marks in the scope, then you want 60,70,80,90,100yards.....etc. marked on the speed dial of the Optimizer and you'll use the bottom hash mark as you dial the HHA. Is that about right? It will work to a point but I'm unsure how far you can stretch it out....and just to clarify, I'm glad to hear this is just for target fun shooting because it's completely unethical and ineffectual to even consider shooting at an animal at those extended ranges. Just an FWI, I'm shooting 367fps with my M380 which is over 100fps faster than your setup and I'm maxed out at 110 yards on my Optimizer. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Wow -galamb - if I ever have a technical question , you are the man! Great explanation and supporting calculations.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

id get a 30-30 why shoot the rainbow?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

nyexhunter wrote:Wow -galamb - if I ever have a technical question , you are the man! Great explanation and supporting calculations.
X2! :mrgreen:
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

Wow i gave up with this thread but thought id just check it again, today i ordered a Axiom. I got a package so i will be using the standard scope for the axiom i will use my idea and should be interesting.

Using firebolts and hopefully a 125gr head, 392 Grains. hopefully i can get somewhere like 290FPS (hopefully my prediction is right again)

Special thanks to galamb, for those calculations, that was an interesting read and what was i looking for.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
tradslam

Post by tradslam »

If ur trying to get bottom holdover to be your floater it works great! I do the same and make my sight tapes using archery TAPES.