obstruction of hunt advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Re: obstruction of hunt advice

Post by one shot scott »

Mace is illegal in this wonderful country of ours (although a theif in my driveway didn't care that what he had was illegal to possess). That's another story tho. Bear spray or dog spray is ok as long as it's under a certain concentration. BUT you could find yourself charges with a concealed weapon if you have that stuff on ya and a Leo doesn't buy your story. That's my understanding of the law but I'm no cop, lawyer or judge.

I still think sweet talk is option 1. Option 2 is airsoft. :mrgreen: it's stings just enough at close range. But that should be used only on the furry canines and not the hairless apes! & Full auto is legal to boot!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

racking up points wrote:I had a similar situation.

The neighbour's were "animal lovers" so they spray-painted my bait piles red! Not sure what that accomplished but they felt good about themselves. They'd let the dogs loose to chase me. They'd ride their ATVs on their land to disrupt the hunt. When that didn't discourage me, they'd trespass and ride in the bush I had permission to hunt in. I mentioned this to the landowner casually, and he spoke with them and called me back a few hours later and he asked me to take my stands down.

If I'd have just kept my mouth shut, I'd still have a place close to home to hunt. :?
Okay, I can't hold it in any more! Derrick, I'm so infuriated reading your post. Someone explain to me why people no longer seem to have a 'set' and will let others dictate what they do?!!! If I'm a landowner and give someone access to my property, any neighbors of mine would have a miserable life if they got out of line with my guests the same as if they got out of line with me. What the h*ll is wrong with people! Derrick, you should have asked your landowner to look in his wife's purse. Maybe he would've found his cahones there. Okay, end of rant. :mrgreen:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
DanO

Post by DanO »

I wouldn't talk to the neighbour unless you're prepared to loose the landowner's permission. As soon as you say anything you can't deal with the dogs. I think you need to make the point that dogs running free are unacceptable. I'm sure if you do some research you could come up with something that would make the point with the AH neighbour. eg. Most dogs like to roll in excrement or rotten fish (I'd provide something they like to roll in) Failing that I'd provide something they'd eat that would make them very sick with no risk of death. I'm not sure what that would be but a little research should come up with something. If you could spot them chasing deer or cattle then the authorities would deal with it and you could remain anonymous.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2012/12/ ... ul-hunters

This is a good read, states the section of the law where it is illegal to interfere. More people should be charged so that awareness to this law becomes ingrained
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

sledhead wrote: Lately he has been letting his dogs roams free and they make their way to under our stands thus ruining the hunt. The guy is an a**hole and we've had a few unpleasant exchanges with him in the past. We've also had theft of trailcams, ladders and damaged stands and highly suspect him but don't have the proof.
I feel sorry for you sledhead. I'm afraid that it is going to be tough to continue hunting the property without a lot of patience. If the guy wants to let his dogs roam free, I'm not sure there is anything you can do without spoiling your permission. If a dog were to come up missing, it is already your fault and your current situation will only get worse. The best you can hope for is that the dogs don't completely ruin the area. That depends a lot on the dogs and the deer.

In the mean time, I would start investigating other places to hunt. It is bad situations like this when we are forced to stumble upon other great opportunities. Good luck.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Waif

Post by Waif »

I don't blame the dogs either though mine are not allowed to run loose unless we are hunting.
Depending on size of dogs I would be tempted to bring them treats. A lower leg bone for smaller ones and deer heads for bigger dogs. Just don't let butthead neighbor find the source!
If they think they are swiping them from you they may bring them home, had that before with different neighbors in different locals, without trying....
Only want so many heads around without tags when the M.N.R. shows up l.o.l..
If not it may keep them, (the dogs) busy instead of running around.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

paulaboutform wrote:
racking up points wrote:I had a similar situation.

The neighbour's were "animal lovers" so they spray-painted my bait piles red! Not sure what that accomplished but they felt good about themselves. They'd let the dogs loose to chase me. They'd ride their ATVs on their land to disrupt the hunt. When that didn't discourage me, they'd trespass and ride in the bush I had permission to hunt in. I mentioned this to the landowner casually, and he spoke with them and called me back a few hours later and he asked me to take my stands down.

If I'd have just kept my mouth shut, I'd still have a place close to home to hunt. :?
Okay, I can't hold it in any more! Derrick, I'm so infuriated reading your post. Someone explain to me why people no longer seem to have a 'set' and will let others dictate what they do?!!! If I'm a landowner and give someone access to my property, any neighbors of mine would have a miserable life if they got out of line with my guests the same as if they got out of line with me. What the h*ll is wrong with people! Derrick, you should have asked your landowner to look in his wife's purse. Maybe he would've found his cahones there. Okay, end of rant. :mrgreen:
I guess I should elaborate a bit. The neighbours had leverage that I did not know about at the time I made a complaint. The landowner is a farmer and he farms the neighbours land. When he called to politely ask that they stop interfering with my hunt, they threatened to pull the land out from underneath him and give the acreage to another farmer, so in the end I don't really blame the farmer, that's his livelihood, he did what he had to do.

I just hate this pervasive attitude that "if I don't like it, than nobody should be able to do it!"

To the OP, IMHO do whatever you have to do, but make sure you know that you'll never be able to change the neighbours' behaviour and you stand to lose more than you stand to gain. Good luck!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

Bring some steak with horse tranquilizers in it...drug the dogs and/or shoot the neighbor :-)
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:Bear spray IS legal in Canada, the small size pepper spray is not. I like the idea of talking to the owner like Anthony said. Eg. I just wanted to make you aware that there are trespassing thieves and vandals around the area so you can keep an eye out for any strange activity or people in the area. If this doesn't seem to take ask if he has any insurance....personally! You know, accidental death, dismemberment, etc.... Sorry, I'm just following Anthony's lead...and I am Sicilian. :shock: I guess old habits die hard. :lol: Good luck with the whole situation friend.

...Paul...I forgot Uncle Vito and Uncle Vinny have family in Canada...they wouldn't even have to travel themselves just call on the other part of "LaFamilia"..... :lol: :lol:...job could be done by the morning hunt! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

I love dogs and I'm not sure I could really harm someone else's dog.
I would try a couple of things and the first would be to tie the dogs up and take them home when the hunt was done. Upon returning the dogs I would be telling the owner that you found them running around and simply brought them home.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The first thing that comes to mind for me is that you have not established a line of communication with the land owner. You may see it as "bugging" him, but I am sure that is not the case. Anyone with an investment like that would likely want to be kept in the loop as to what is happening on his land. You owe it to him to speak at least once a year to confirm your permission.
For example, I have 2 main properties, I make a special trip at least once a month to show my presence and that I am willing to earn my keep on the land. I go to one of them a couple times a week, fetch her mail from the box or just to run her garbage can to of from her house on garbage day. Plenty of other small jobs too, it makes me feel better and I know she appreciates it.
The other is closer to home, my wife makes and brings baked goods on a regular basis, over the years they have done the same. Matter of fact, for almost 10 years we have spent Christmas eve with them, all stemming from a simple request to hunt his land.
Too many people think that asking once means forever permission. I have encountered people hunting on this land that asked permission from the previous owner, 40 years ago.
Ontario trespass to property act is a confusing law, but it does enable a second party to act on behalf of the land owner, in both pressing charges as well as arresting the trespassers. I carry a slip on one land that is signed by the landowner and holds a refrence number from our local police that gives me sole permission as well as property rights for recreational purposes.
Maintaining these relationships is key in a situation like the one you speak of. If you let someone use your car would you rather they show up a couple times a year with a case of beer, or wine, or just hear from them every couple years?
If the guy with the dogs is showing his appreciation to the land owner like I had mentioned, you may be in for a surprise when you show up. If he is wrecking your equipment, rest assured he is wrecking your reputation as well.
As for the dogs, use your best judgement. You have two options, one may keep the dogs off the property, the other will get you put in jail.
Either way, good luck.
If it were me, I would stop at the LCBO and make a trip. Earn your keep.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

spray the dogs with skunk scent wont hurt the dog might bother the owner .. do this a couple times he might get the point
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bob watkins wrote:spray the dogs with skunk scent wont hurt the dog might bother the owner .. do this a couple times he might get the point
Great idea. Like Boo and many others here I love the pups and couldn't harm one for simply wandering around. Skunk cover scent may encourage the AH neighbors to be more responsible with their dogs.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

paulaboutform wrote:
bob watkins wrote:spray the dogs with skunk scent wont hurt the dog might bother the owner .. do this a couple times he might get the point
Great idea. Like Boo and many others here I love the pups and couldn't harm one for simply wandering around. Skunk cover scent may encourage the AH neighbors to be more responsible with their dogs.
Perfect!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Skunk. I was thinking the same thing. Or porcupine. Or some of both. Both are natural problems for dogs, and if a particular area were infested with them, you'd think a dog owner would keep his dogs away from it.
Just don't get caught. Watch where you park your vehicle, as there may be, or get to be, problems with nails on the ground.
The less you say the better.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.