obstruction of hunt advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the elf

Re: obstruction of hunt advice

Post by the elf »

What a friend of mine did was---bought 2 cans of spray paint ! One white and one black !
He caught the dogs and--the light coloured dogs he sprayed a bullseye with black paint;
and the dark coloured ones with a white bullseye---then he turned them loose.
Well; the dog owner[s] put in a complaint with both the police and the Game warden
and were told very politely that they had just received a very polite warning to keep their dogs at home. Most complied. The rest ?
Nothing more was mentioned about the dog problem.
bubba

Post by bubba »

You know I had a similar problem hunting up in Kentucky. Use to hunt there every year. last week of bow season and into the first week of modern gun..Had a few different farms to with permission to hunt.. and on this one farm had a dog mess up three hunts... And for some reason never had a problem after that...The old compound day's when I could pull back my Mathews 73# bow with 100 grain muzzys. Also use to carry an old trenching tool... I mean ya never know when one might come in handy??
I guess I just got lucky....... Hope you and your problem get's better.............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Killing, injuring, harasing, painting, and wounding dogs..
No wonder some of you have so much time to spend on the Internet.
The dogs in this situation, have no idea what they are doing, they are following orders of a person. Leave the dogs alone and address the problem.
Pathetic.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntman

Post by huntman »

Pydpiper wrote:Killing, injuring, harasing, painting, and wounding dogs..
No wonder some of you have so much time to spend on the Internet.
The dogs in this situation, have no idea what they are doing, they are following orders of a person. Leave the dogs alone and address the problem.
Pathetic.
Very well said!!!!
sledhead

Post by sledhead »

Thanks for all the replies. Taking pics or video would be my first step in case i get the police or MNR involved. Failing that, pepper spray and leaving my gut pile close to where they enter the property would be my next steps. I've had the dogs come after me on the ground and I believe I have the right to defend myself. Shooting or poisoning would probably be the end of my hunting on that property, not that I haven't thought of it. Talking to the offender would end up in a shouting match and end up in damage to our stands, etc. If this gets resolved I will post the results.
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

It's not a good predicament to be in. The best of luck to you.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I would nock on the guys door & say hello!! "I see you have some very nice dog's that I have seen running around off the property & I am concerned for their safety". He will ask "why". Tell him "one property over has coyote traps & you would not want anything to happen to his dogs because you had a dog once & it was badly injured in a trap & you had to put it down".

If he a has a brain in his head he will keep his dogs in check. If not then well!!

As others have said don't mention a thing to the land owner becuase it's getting really hard to get permission these days & don't ruin it for yourself...

:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

If a dog is trying to attack you, bear spray is a reasonable and non lethal defense of course. As I stated before, I love dogs and couldn't harm one in any way just because they have an irresponsible jerk owner. I'm glad you're not going to hurt the furbabies. I DON'T think poisoning or shooting or randomly bear spraying dogs for being dogs is okay.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
turbo

Post by turbo »

I to would not harm a dog for just running around.Start by becoming a friend of the land owner which you have permisson,get to have a relatioship with him so he knows the person you are.Once that is established then confront to AH neighbour,let him know the troubles you are having with your equipment and ask if he is also having problems.Tell him you have cameras out to try to catch the thief in action and if he would like one also to help him if he says he is having problems(whether lying or not).Dont come across as you are mad at him as nothing good will come.As for the dogs,if you have cameras out and catch them chasing deer call ministry,and use skunk spray(bottles of it)
Hope it works out for ya :)
LIVING THE DREAM
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Many pounds ago when I was an avid cyclist I got into the habit of carrying a spare water bottle full of vinegar - it was a good form of protection against free running farm dogs that loved to chase cyclists. A little negative reinforcement. 8)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

VixChix wrote:Many pounds ago when I was an avid cyclist I got into the habit of carrying a spare water bottle full of vinegar - it was a good form of protection against free running farm dogs that loved to chase cyclists. A little negative reinforcement. 8)

...."many pounds ago" :lol: :lol: :lol: I love that! :D :D ....I used to be an avid cyclist also!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings