obstruction of hunt advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sledhead

obstruction of hunt advice

Post by sledhead »

Putting out some feelers as to how other bow hunters see my situation. My hunting partner and i have had permission on the same private property for years now. We don't bother the landowner much, we come and go as we please and say hello if we run into him. Our issue is with a neighbour of his with a small acre property located far from our landowners house but close to where we hunt. Lately he has been letting his dogs roams free and they make their way to under our stands thus ruining the hunt. The guy is an a**hole and we've had a few unpleasant exchanges with him in the past. We've also had theft of trailcams, ladders and damaged stands and highly suspect him but don't have the proof. We don't want to involve our landowner as he may feel its not worth the headaches and revoke our permission (happened to us in a previous property). Any thoughts?
sledhead

Re: obstruction of hunt advice

Post by sledhead »

Owner of our property doesn't really care/want to get involved as the stand location is not visible from his house. We've mentioned the theft issue before and he seemed indifferent to the situation, key point is that we don't want to pressure or inconvenience him. As far as the dogs go, they've been coming in closer to us in the last month and we haven't seen one deer in that time. im sure they're all thru the bush during the week.
strum

Post by strum »

sledhead wrote:Owner of our property doesn't really care/want to get involved as the stand location is not visible from his house. We've mentioned the theft issue before and he seemed indifferent to the situation, key point is that we don't want to pressure or inconvenience him. As far as the dogs go, they've been coming in closer to us in the last month and we haven't seen one deer in that time. im sure they're all thru the bush during the week.
bad situation..i wish I had some good advice for you but your kind of in a pickle there.
some of the same type things were happening at the property where I hunt now a few years ago ..the landowner stopped every one from hunting because of the unwanted headaches. It took a couple of years before she let me hunt it and I am very cautious about bringing any issue to her .
you may have to let this one lay in hopes of out lasting the dog owner.
another thought (slim as it may be ) is try to srike up a relationship with the guy.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That's not a good situation for you my friend. It's really a lose lose situation....for you. The land owner is not a friend but has given you access to hunt his property. He's indifferent to his neighbors dogs being on his property or damage and theft of YOUR property. It sounds to me like he doesn't want to think or know anything about anything. I'm sorry to say, but if I was you I'd be looking for another property to hunt. How does your land owner get along with his A.H. neighbor? Tough spot to be in. I guess it all depends how much bs you're willing to take and what your temperament and breaking point is.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sledhead

Post by sledhead »

My landowner has had troubles with the neighbour in the past but is turning a blind eye now. I'm thinking of contacting local police or the MNR but not sure if they'll deal with me as i'm not the landowner.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Call the MNR the guy can be charged with impeding on your hunt. I have had a similar problem in the past. Have some proof of any compliant you have i.e. take a pic or video from your phone when the dog comes under your stand.

Although this guy is a neighbour to the landowner, are they friends???
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Rarely does a situation like this get better from heated conversation. Talk to the dog owner next time you see him, play it cool. When someone likes you it's harder for them to be a knob. & Don't bother your landowner.

Perhaps take a different way in to the property so he doesn't know your there.

If all else fails, set up a bait trail cam with another hidden one overlooking it and try to catch the bugger that's lifting it. Then the balls in your court.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am in the same deal but its my land. Its the thief's dogs on my place n have ruined over half of my hunting mornings. I love furbabies but its not their fault. Take pic's contact Conservation Officer n talk to him. If you kill them its going to get nasty, & you will feel bad about the dogs. You could live trap them ? Remove from area
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

sledhead wrote:Putting out some feelers as to how other bow hunters see my situation. My hunting partner and i have had permission on the same private property for years now. We don't bother the landowner much, we come and go as we please and say hello if we run into him. Our issue is with a neighbour of his with a small acre property located far from our landowners house but close to where we hunt. Lately he has been letting his dogs roams free and they make their way to under our stands thus ruining the hunt. The guy is an a**hole and we've had a few unpleasant exchanges with him in the past. We've also had theft of trailcams, ladders and damaged stands and highly suspect him but don't have the proof. We don't want to involve our landowner as he may feel its not worth the headaches and revoke our permission (happened to us in a previous property). Any thoughts?

...no problem...give me the address...Uncle Vito "baseball bat" Bonachio and Uncle Vinnie "whatza matta you no look the same" Manzino will take care of it...if you know what I mean.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

...all kidding aside, why not try sugar...ring his door bell, in a friendly manner and ask him if he knows about the dogs, see if he knows anything about things being stolen, very nicely...tell him you have a few camera's in some strategic places that no one would find if some that are clearly visible are removed were removed...in fact the div of wildlife is very much aware of theft in the area, yada, yada, yada...all very friendly and nicey ,nicey...see what happens....

...if nothing positive...there's always Uncle Vito and Vinny...really nice guys when they were young... :shock: :shock: 8) :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

sledhead wrote:My landowner has had troubles with the neighbour in the past but is turning a blind eye now. I'm thinking of contacting local police or the MNR but not sure if they'll deal with me as i'm not the landowner.
what can it hurt to ask them if they can help :?: or maybe even give you ideas of what to do
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I'd take a shovel and a few practice arrows if you get the drift. 8)
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

What dogs.......? We never saw any dogs.....
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

Just shot the dogs, and get it over with.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Bear spray IS legal in Canada, the small size pepper spray is not. I like the idea of talking to the owner like Anthony said. Eg. I just wanted to make you aware that there are trespassing thieves and vandals around the area so you can keep an eye out for any strange activity or people in the area. If this doesn't seem to take ask if he has any insurance....personally! You know, accidental death, dismemberment, etc.... Sorry, I'm just following Anthony's lead...and I am Sicilian. :shock: I guess old habits die hard. :lol: Good luck with the whole situation friend.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I had a similar situation.

The neighbour's were "animal lovers" so they spray-painted my bait piles red! Not sure what that accomplished but they felt good about themselves. They'd let the dogs loose to chase me. They'd ride their ATVs on their land to disrupt the hunt. When that didn't discourage me, they'd trespass and ride in the bush I had permission to hunt in. I mentioned this to the landowner casually, and he spoke with them and called me back a few hours later and he asked me to take my stands down.

If I'd have just kept my mouth shut, I'd still have a place close to home to hunt. :?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits