Can't Keep My Head Down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Can't Keep My Head Down

Post by DanO »

Many of you folks have been shooting much longer than I have been so I need a suggestion. I've shot my Excal for 8 years. My problem is simple. I tend to look up as soon as I launch the bolt when I'm shooting at a deer. I don't do it when I practice (twice a week). Recently I shot high over a deer and I know I looked up as the bolt was leaving the bow. It's a result of "buck" fever I know but I'm at a loss as to how to solve my bad habit.

I think I may go to lite nocks to encourage me to keep my eye on the scope.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Dan O. :roll:
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
monstermash

Re: Can't Keep My Head Down

Post by monstermash »

I used to do that when shooting my rifles. You're not alone. I think it's mostly concentration but not on the right things. When you're shooting don't try and anticipate the shot. Just focus on the target and squeeze the trigger slowly when you're satisfied with the position and think of nothing else except the area you're aiming at. Then without really knowing when the shot will be fired, it's gone. You have to keep FOCUSING on the target and forget about anticipating the actual shot. After praticing this you should be a better shooter and will no longer be trying to "look" at your shot. After all, it's where the shot ends up, not how it got there.
That being said, I just realized that you only do this when shooting at game. I guess the same applies. What is your percentage of kills versus chances? If it is indeed buck fever, you'll only get over it by keep hunting and try and settle down, try and think of the game as a simple target, picture a bullseye on the poi as soon as you see the game, look for the bullseye and concentrate on it only.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by monstermash on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Mega 405
Waif

Post by Waif »

You are "peeking" after the shot it sounds like. Try to focus on follow through. Keeping your cheek welded to the stock and watching your target through your scope until you see arrow hit,or deer react. Plenty of time to peek after!
With shot dead on by following through ,even if deer disappears you'll have sign to follow, in theory but still better than a poor hit or miss.
Now, how did I shoot low on a buck? l.o.l...
Last edited by Waif on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
cspot

Post by cspot »

Lighted nocks will help as you can see the arrow if you keep your head in the scope.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Sounds like you understand your problem and it's just a matter of changing your habit. Make a conscience decision before pulling the trigger to follow thru.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've seen people struggle with this at 3D. No quick fix except practice practice practice. .....

It help might help if while you're target shooting that you try to follow the flight of the arrow through the scope and then keep looking through the scope to see where the arrow hit your target.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Dan. The 'buck fever' that you're referring to is in reality a form of target panic. There are many forms of this and many different techniques to 'reprogram' your brain but I'll just address what you're referring to. The peek a boo that you've described is your anticipating the shot and your desire to watch the arrow hit your target. You need to lay out your shot process and writing it down really helps. Eg. Step 1 - cock bow
Step 2 - load arrow
Step 3 - target acquisition
Step 4 - aim aim aim
Step 5 - aim SHOT GOES OFF (surprise)
Step 6 - arrow hits target (audible)
Step 7 - see arrow in target through scope
Step 8 - lower bow. ....end shot sequence.

I know this may sound crazy but this is a legitimate technique to retrain your brain. You shouldn't stop aiming or looking through your scope until you hear your arrow hit the target and see it through your scope in the target. This needs to be engrained into your subconscious mind and can only be done through a great deal of repetition. I've got some extensive experience and training in this. If I can help you further I'd be happy to. Flip me a pm and we can talk.
Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Well said Paul!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Shoot 3D. A lot! It will become automatic when the real thing shows up.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

cspot wrote:Lighted nocks will help as you can see the arrow if you keep your head in the scope.

...wear a chin strap on hat buckled underneath the stock!.. :shock: :shock:

....be hard to lift your head then!

...I do believe the lighted nocks would help!...I is almost like you are mesmerized by the flight of the lighted arrow and keep your head in the scope...!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Grow some facial hair and a little two sided carpet tape on the cheek piece should solve your problem. 8)
DanO

Post by DanO »

Great advice folks, as usual. All the suggestions are doable and I will follow-up. Paul I know that writing down process sounds odd but I'm a biology person so I understand retraining the brain. More "deliberate" practice is what I need. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I do have a beard so the double face tape might be an option is all else fails. :lol:
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

We have a lot suffer this over here,target panic.
paul is spot on about re-training the brain.
One technique we use is to shoot at a blank target.
There are other techniques as well.
One of the things we did find was that sufferers sometimes were concentrating on the sight pin more than the target.
Just a thought.
Hope you get it sorted.
Tom

Post by Tom »

paulaboutform wrote:Hi Dan. The 'buck fever' that you're referring to is in reality a form of target panic. There are many forms of this and many different techniques to 'reprogram' your brain but I'll just address what you're referring to. The peek a boo that you've described is your anticipating the shot and your desire to watch the arrow hit your target. You need to lay out your shot process and writing it down really helps. Eg. Step 1 - cock bow
Step 2 - load arrow
Step 4 - aim aim aim

I know this may sound crazy but this is a legitimate technique to retrain your brain. You shouldn't stop aiming or looking through your scope until you hear your arrow hit the target and see it through your scope in the target. This needs to be engrained into your subconscious mind and can only be done through a great deal of repetition. I've got some extensive experience and training in this. If I can help you further I'd be happy to. Flip me a pm and we can talk.
Paul
As Paul suggested, you need to retrain your shooting tech. Many years ago I was taught to make my shooting routine as well as ALWAYS WATCH THROUGH the scope for the tell tail of the hit.

Everytime I go to shoot, I go through the steps.
Shoulder weapon of choice
Get good sight of crosshairs on target
SLOWLY SQUEEZE TRIGGER
Look for hit on target through scope.

If it is live game I am choosing to shoot, I add just one more step.
Is this an animal which I want to shoot.
Then I get into the routine for my shooting.

I know my method sounds mechanical, but it takes out the emotional aspect which helps eliminate buck fever. Just like VixCix said... practice, practice & practice. Just how much practice you need to do will just depend on how set your current habbits are.

If I was to give just one piece of advice, it would be to get used to looking through the scope for the result of the shot.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Waif

Post by Waif »

Tom wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:Hi Dan. The 'buck fever' that you're referring to is in reality a form of target panic. There are many forms of this and many different techniques to 'reprogram' your brain but I'll just address what you're referring to. The peek a boo that you've described is your anticipating the shot and your desire to watch the arrow hit your target. You need to lay out your shot process and writing it down really helps. Eg. Step 1 - cock bow
Step 2 - load arrow
Step 4 - aim aim aim
And if you are like me, add a step to remove the safety.... :oops:
quite another surprise when trigger squeeze produces no shot..
Paul
As Paul suggested, you need to retrain your shooting tech. Many years ago I was taught to make my shooting routine as well as ALWAYS WATCH THROUGH the scope for the tell tail of the hit.

Everytime I go to shoot, I go through the steps.
Shoulder weapon of choice
Get good sight of crosshairs on target
SLOWLY SQUEEZE TRIGGER
Look for hit on target through scope.

If it is live game I am choosing to shoot, I add just one more step.
Is this an animal which I want to shoot.
Then I get into the routine for my shooting.

I know my method sounds mechanical, but it takes out the emotional aspect which helps eliminate buck fever. Just like VixCix said... practice, practice & practice. Just how much practice you need to do will just depend on how set your current habbits are.

If I was to give just one piece of advice, it would be to get used to looking through the scope for the result of the shot.

Tom
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.