Stirrup Dampening???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shoebuck

Stirrup Dampening???

Post by Shoebuck »

Has anyone tried to put a thin piece of gasket material between the body and the stirrup to help stop the tuning fork affect of the shot on the stirrup?
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
Kegbelly

Re: Stirrup Dampening???

Post by Kegbelly »

I did. Honestly I couldn't tell much difference in a before-and-after comparison using only a rubber gasket, but wrapping the stirrup itself makes a much more noticeable difference. So I ended up doing both... wrapped the stirrup and used a gasket between the stirrup and the rail.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

Now you've got me curious. Forgive my ignorance on the tuning fork effect of the stirrup. Are you saying that the shot produces an unwanted "noise" from the stirrup?
Matrix Mega 405
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Kegbelly wrote:I did. Honestly I couldn't tell much difference in a before-and-after comparison using only a rubber gasket, but wrapping the stirrup itself makes a much more noticeable difference. So I ended up doing both... wrapped the stirrup and used a gasket between the stirrup and the rail.

What did u wrap it with?--- I have heard of wrapping with 1/4" Para cord and also have heard of dipping it in that rubberized paint like is used for tool handles
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I used electric splicing tape, it's a thick black rubber tape. Then went over that with cloth camo tape. There are a bunch of different ideas out there on what to use, that's just what I went with. Don't use real thick stuff, it could interfere with the vanes as they pass the end of the stirrup.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

monstermash wrote:Now you've got me curious. Forgive my ignorance on the tuning fork effect of the stirrup. Are you saying that the shot produces an unwanted "noise" from the stirrup?
Exactly. Thump it with a fingernail and it will sort of ring like a tuning fork...
Matrix 380
Exomag
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I used Lizard Skins bat wrap on mine.. The material is thick and rubbery. It does deaden the sound a little.

http://lizardskinsbaseball.com/
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

I am new to the Horizontal Scene so any and all advise is gladly excepted. I purchased my first Crossbow ( Excalibur Micro 335) and I really like it but after shooting bows for the past 50 years, it does make a lot of noise to my ears. Anyone that might have other ways to deaden the sound, please speak up.
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Shoebuck - the Micro is by far the quietest crossbow I have shot. I'm not sure how much more noise you could get out, and if you do you will only be costing yourself speed to gain nothing. However....I have found that a heavier arrow does the most to reduce noise/vibration. And although that costs you some speed, you gain momentum which helps terminal performance. So that to me is a win-win.

But it ain't never gonna be as quiet as a vert bow.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I cut and drilled a piece of rubber hose to put between the stirrup and the bow. I also had my stirrup sprayed with the rhino lining material that the bed of a pickup is sprayed with. I think it just changes the tone rather than quietens but the perception is that of being quieter. Ultimately, it's to make shooting more enjoyable for the shooter, I don't think it makes a difference when hunting.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I did a fancy paracord braid to cover mine. Then I checked for vane clearance as the arrow passed the stirrup and took the paracord off. :oops: :roll: :lol:

If you put something on it keep it thin and check clearance when you're finished. :wink:
wabi
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I grinded my stirrup down by rounding all the edges and drilled some holes to lighten it up a touch...thanks for the suggestion normous.

Then, I plasti-dipped mine in black. Two-coats. Just follow directions. It's a tough, durable yet easily removable material. I don't recommend mixing in pumice grit to plasti-dip your stirrup. As Drew showed in a previous thread, the added pumice grit is great for the butt-stock, but not so much for the stirrup.

I did two stirrups and two butt-stocks with one can and I have a decent amount left-over.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
bubba

Post by bubba »

For sure what ever you do check your clearance for the vanes as Wabi, has said!! he said take your point off your arrow load it back wards spin your arrow to see if the vanes touch.. I've had mine wrapped in 350 paracord since I first got it and never gave it much thought and I would once in awhile get an arrow that just didn't fly right...So off came the paracord... For sure i'll look for some thing else. Thanks again Wabi...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I use cork/rubber gasket material between stirrup and riser - cuts noise and vibration. Just check screws a little more often once you do this.