Looking for Ontario Bear Outfitter Recommendations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

automated11

Looking for Ontario Bear Outfitter Recommendations

Post by automated11 »

Hey guys and girls I am in need of a Bear outfitter for an Ontario bear hunt for 2015 or 2016. Could anyone provide any personal experiences or recommendations? I will say my first hunt was with Northern Wilderness Bear Outfitters was less than ideal but it was free.

I won the hunt last year with Michigan Xbow Federation. Anyway Ron was a very nice guy, promised alot and gave little. I think the guy meant well and it was his first year on his own but I think he took too many guys on and spread himself too thin. He offered me a free hunt again this year but I couldnt afford the time off. That being said I would like to find another guide in the $1500 or less area. I can provide more info on my hunt if anyone is interested. I had a good time but if everything that was promised would have happened (not even getting a bear) I would have been a much happier camper.

Thanks,

Jason
Super Vixen - AKA Matrix 355 with Vixen II Stock
Buggy Bumpers
Gold Tip Laser 4 Arrows with Swhacker 125 Heads
Miller Quiver Mount
Leupold Shotgun Scope (Miller)
Flemish String

Micro 355 Tact-zone Package, soon to be modded.
Species8472

Re: Looking for Ontario Bear Outfitter Recommendations

Post by Species8472 »

Assume it is Xbow but just in case are looking for vertical bow, rifle or Xbow? Method will affect your choice as not all outfitters offer all options.

Have heard good things about these guys:

http://www.northriveroutfitters.com

I have no direct experience with them so my opinion is not first hand.

They are right in the price range you mention
Last edited by Species8472 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
automated11

Post by automated11 »

I am kind of up in the air. I was thinking about taking both rifle and crossbow and determine which I would use based off of the bait sites they provide. After hunting White River Ontario I know that I shouldnt really take my climbing treestand to that area. Darn trees start getting small that far north!
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

foofoo

Post by foofoo »

sorry your hunt didnt go well.ive been on several outfitted bear hunts/ things that are mostly included and what i expect are an active bait, place to stay,shower, and with or without meals depending on price.i prefer to drive myself and re-bait my sites when possible. what did they promise and didnt do. bear hunts can get pricey.its my experience success rates vary but even on good years the places ive hunted Ontario are 40-60% of the hunters score. a paid hunt isint guaranteed.from my searchng there are places with higher success rates and can back it up but you will pay more than double what youve paid. the outfitter offered you a free return hunt.i dont see that happen too often. sounds like he tried.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Check out Kap River Outfitters - Peter Martin - I've hunted wolves with Pete many times. Great guy, runs a good outfit and his area is huge with little pressure and some whopper bears. Tell him Dave from London sent you and he will take good care of you.
automated11

Post by automated11 »

foofoo wrote:sorry your hunt didnt go well.ive been on several outfitted bear hunts/ things that are mostly included and what i expect are an active bait, place to stay,shower, and with or without meals depending on price.i prefer to drive myself and re-bait my sites when possible. what did they promise and didnt do. bear hunts can get pricey.its my experience success rates vary but even on good years the places ive hunted Ontario are 40-60% of the hunters score. a paid hunt isint guaranteed.from my searchng there are places with higher success rates and can back it up but you will pay more than double what youve paid. the outfitter offered you a free return hunt.i dont see that happen too often. sounds like he tried.
foofoo,

Tell you the truth I didnt know what to expect when I went but I like to hold people to their word. Things didnt start off well. We had very good contact with our guide even while on the road. We told him we would be at the meeting point at 11am, fair enough he said he would be there or have someone there to meet me. Well with no cell signal and no one showing up till 5pm we were very upset and wondering if I got duped... We arrived early so we could set up camp and tents, well we ended up setting tents up in the dark getting eaten by mosquitos. Then he said since we were far in the bush that he had radios that could reach town so if anyone in our camping area would get a bear we could contact him, well we never saw a radio... Pre trip we talked about fishing and bringing our boat, he said no need he had quite a few small john boats and 5hp motors to let us use and he would have one there for us. Well needless to say we never saw a boat until we were leaving and he had to sign a liscense at his house... Then the bait situation, he said he would have bait every other morning by 8am so we could set our spots since some of the bears were hitting the baits early and others were hitting at night. We never saw bait till 1-2pm most of the days sometimes later... I was camping with some other people that have been on hunts similiar and they were also very dissapointed with the service. Hope this explains everything well. I wasnt even that dissapointed in not getting a bear, hey thats hunting not killing but I hate when people tell you one thing then they never come through.
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Some years back I hunted with Mark Hennegar and his mom at Buck Lake outfitters . They are located in Huntsville Ontario . Pete Allen was my go to guy there . You stayed in new cottages and did your own cooking . I hunted bear with Pete 3 or 4 times was always enjoyed my time there .

bucklakeoutfiiters.com
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Hunt it wrote:Check out Kap River Outfitters - Peter Martin - I've hunted wolves with Pete many times. Great guy, runs a good outfit and his area is huge with little pressure and some whopper bears. Tell him Dave from London sent you and he will take good care of you.
Thanks Dave!

I contacted him and he is getting me out some info. He was very prompt with emailing me back.
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

automated11

Post by automated11 »

Farmer wrote:Some years back I hunted with Mark Hennegar and his mom at Buck Lake outfitters . They are located in Huntsville Ontario . Pete Allen was my go to guy there . You stayed in new cottages and did your own cooking . I hunted bear with Pete 3 or 4 times was always enjoyed my time there .

bucklakeoutfiiters.com
I will give them a call also thx!
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Peter at Kap is well known, all the big TV - US Hunting show guys have hunted with him. His success rate on timber wolves is outstanding and matched by only a few. People come from all over the world to hunt with him. Bear hunting is a newer venue for Pete in last 5 yrs but he is the hardest working guy you'll ever meet as an Outfitter. I have sent many guys his way and have never heard a single complaint. He also trains field trial retrievers ( he hosted the 2014 Field Trial Nationals in Kapuskasing this past summer) and guides for ducks as well. Peter and his wife Terry are two of the finest folks I've ever met. The pictures I've seen of his bears, confirm there is an abundance of big bears in his area.
unclefester

Post by unclefester »

Jason,

PM sent.

Ken.
On staff at Crossbow Magazine.
Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

DO NOT go with Opimika Camp in eastern North Bay. Totally a waste of time. The guy running it has no control of his BMA. People going on atv's trying to hunt grouse. Dickheads running amok with a promise from native Indians to get a Moose.

His name is Mike Shepard. His lodgings are total garbage. He is a nosy dude as well. Comes right into your cabin unannounced like it's o.k. and you do not deserve any privacy.

Regards, H.P.D.
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Thanks for the heads up!
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

Outback

Post by Outback »

Take a look at Rock's Hunt Camp in Hornepayne Ont. The owner Nick is a first class top notch guy. What he say's he will do for you gets done. Very clean efficient and smooth run operation. I've hunted and fished with Nick many times over the years going back before he opened his hunt camp. He runs a very successful bear and moose hunt every season with some access to a few great fishing holes as well.

Last March I was up for a few days wolf hunting and while we did have wolves come around I didn't have the perfect kill shot so never pulled the trigger. I will be trying to get up for a wolf hunt and ice fishing this March as well.

Can't hurt to give him a call, get more info and then make your choice. Call Nick @ Rock's Hunt Camp 1-807-868-2085 or website and e-mail [email protected].

outback
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Thanks for the reply I'll look into Rock's also.
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String