Making flemish string

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tripNchip

Making flemish string

Post by tripNchip »

I am looking at the plans for a Flemish string jig and it says the longest point to point length between nails equals, (finished string length divided by 2).
This is the type jig with 2 rows of nails on one end and just one nail on the other end.
In measuring the length of 2 used strings that come on the bow I get 31 1/4 inches on stretcher.
Do you not have to add to this length to allow for the making of the loops? If so, how much to you add?
This is for a matrix 330.
Thanks for your help.
Have a blessed day
nchunterkw

Re: Making flemish string

Post by nchunterkw »

I start a Flemish string for a Matrix bow at 48". I measure in 8.5" from the ends to start the loops. Use 12 or 13 strands of D97 material for each bundle, depending on if you want a 24 or 26 strand count string.

My jig is basically just 2 nails X distance apart. I think what you are looking at is to have tapered ends. You can do that but I think most on here that make strings use same length bundles and just have small tag ends (kind of like built in whiskers) sticking out of the string when finished.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

Thanks a bunch for the info. I was looking at the tapered ends but like the idea of the whiskered ends to. Now to watch some of the great clips on u-tube and play with making out of cheap string until I feel II have it good enough to invest in real string.
Have a blessed day
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've mastered making Flemish strings for my crossbow. My technique is second to none and my results are truly nothing shy of masterful! I always start out the same way. I always reference my phone and hit #6 on my speed dial and follow up with, "Don, I need a string please." :shock: Be very polite and mindful of tone because you don't want to upset your custom string builder...and they can be fickle. :mrgreen: The end results are perfect and I'm always satisfied with my finished product. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

paulaboutform wrote:I've mastered making Flemish strings for my crossbow. My technique is second to none and my results are truly nothing shy of masterful! I always start out the same way. I always reference my phone and hit #6 on my speed dial and follow up with, "Don, I need a string please." :shock: Be very polite and mindful of tone because you don't want to upset your custom string builder...and they can be fickle. :mrgreen: The end results are perfect and I'm always satisfied with my finished product. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed, If you have never ordered a Custom String before, I would recommend calling your stringmaker first. He may ask you a lot of important questions that you may not have thought of, may not understand or may not know the answer to. Trust me on this. Talk to your string maker first!
Check out: boocustomstrings.com
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

tripNchip wrote:Thanks a bunch for the info. I was looking at the tapered ends but like the idea of the whiskered ends to. Now to watch some of the great clips on u-tube and play with making out of cheap string until I feel II have it good enough to invest in real string.
That's no fun! Take the plunge!! All that $$ will motivate you to become a good string maker. :mrgreen:

Seriously, there is a good deal of satisfaction that comes from being able to make a string like this, and harvest game with your "Me Made" stuff.

Good luck and WHEN you have questions, please post or PM. Many on here can and will help.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X2!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Normous wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:I've mastered making Flemish strings for my crossbow. My technique is second to none and my results are truly nothing shy of masterful! I always start out the same way. I always reference my phone and hit #6 on my speed dial and follow up with, "Don, I need a string please." :shock: Be very polite and mindful of tone because you don't want to upset your custom string builder...and they can be fickle. :mrgreen: The end results are perfect and I'm always satisfied with my finished product. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed, If you have never ordered a Custom String before, I would recommend calling your stringmaker first. He may ask you a lot of important questions that you may not have thought of, may not understand or may not know the answer to. Trust me on this. Talk to your string maker first!
Check out: boocustomstrings.com[ Great advice on both parties :wink:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

X3. There are things I can do and things I need to let others do. I've seen cabinets that homeowners built themselves :o
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

The only thing that surpasses Don's string building is his generosity !!! :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

8ptbuk wrote:The only thing that surpasses Don's string building is his generosity !!! :D
Amen!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... :lol: :lol: :lol: ....Too funny....but too truthful also.... :D

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Talk w/ Don [aka Boo here] or call Danny Miller. I've watched both twist up FFF's. They don't use a jig, but rather a short chunk of arrow shaft for the loops for length.

Obviously, [to me] the length of the strands is important w/ this method but they've done gazillions of them.
"Eze 18:21"
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you want to give it a go, PM me. I have a little material I could send you to tinker with, and I'm sure there are a few guys here that would share some tips. You know I'm only sending you the Ugly Colors though! :lol: :lol:

I applaud your efforts, and willingness to try. :wink:

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

xcalibur pm sent
Have a blessed day