New Exomax Help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grouperdawg

New Exomax Help

Post by Grouperdawg »

Hi...I just bought an Exomax on Amazon Lightning deal on a whim. It was around $360 with tax and everything, not sure if that is a good deal I didn't realize it was a retired model but I knew Excalibur was a good brand.

I mostly bow hunt but I had bought my kids a barnett jackel xbow last year and they popped a few deer with it. I was looking for something better for them, it just doesn't seem super accurate to me and then I saw the Exomax which was about what I paid for the barnett.

Couple questions, when did they stop making the Exomax, how long has it been around. Came today, it looks big, is it worth keeping or should I save up and buy a better model?

Also, I put the hha mount on the barnett and was planning on moving that to the Exomax but it looks like it doesn't have the weaver style scope base or does it? Anyone know if the hha mount will work?

Any bolt recommendations?
Species8472

Re: New Exomax Help

Post by Species8472 »

The Exomax was stopped about 2 years ago.

Nothing wrong with it all. It is a bomb proof design that was at the top of Excalibur line in terms of performance for many years. It is about on par with the Matrix 355 performance wise and has enough power to tackle any game in the world.

The reason it was stopped is because the Matrix line was released and they are a more compact crossbow with a few models that have a bit more power but also a few models that are less powerful.

As far as accuracy goes it's a winner. I had an exomax for years (actually still have one as a backup bow) and killed dozens of deer with it. Target shooting I could keep 1 inch groups at 40 yards all day long.

At the time I was using firebolts with Montec G5s

Also $360 is a very good deal. They were close to a $1000 back in the day.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

At $360.00 for an Exomax you should wear a mask! They are GREAT bows, just not the "cutting edge" anymore. Super accurate and kill anything anywhere! You got a heck of a deal. Congrats and you will be amazed at what that bow can do.The newer bows arent any better. They are smaller, but no better. Exomax was my first Excal and I still have it.Awsome! Did it come with the scope mount? If not they are available most places and the HHA will mount to them,
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

X3.. Isn't that what Bill T took the elephant with?? 360 steal!. :D
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

Make sure to watch the instructional vids on the website re: setting brace height etc.. A search of this forum will yield the answer to any questions that arise. It is unsafe to shoot these bows with an improper brace height, so make sure you confident that you can set that properly.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

RexKay wrote:X3.. Isn't that what Bill T took the elephant with?? 360 steal!. :D
Yep!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey GDawg, welcome to the forum. Agreed on what the fellas have said already. You've got a powerhouse of a bow and it's do superior to the jackal you've got you shouldn't even mention them in the same sentence. :shock: I've got the HHA Optimizer on my M380 and will be adding one to my Exomax. For arrows I recommend Black Eagle Arrows. Either the Executioners or Zombie Slayers. 20" is standard for the bow but I'm curious to try 22". I recommend 92gr or 110gr brass inserts for 100gr points or 150gr points or heavier with aluminum inserts. 2" Blazer Veins and plastic nocks or Luminoks. If you're in the U.S. contact Danny Miller, he's the crossbow guru and can fix you up or guide you through anything you need to know. Good luck.....make sure you get a stringing aid. This is different than the cocking aid but is a MUST HAVE. very important. Danny Miller has great prices on everything. I'm sure someone will post his number for you.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Grouperdawg

Post by Grouperdawg »

Thanks a ton for the replies, really appreciate that, lots of good info & I am really excited to go try out the bow now this afternoon & hopefully be hunting with the boys tonight if all goes well.

That is pretty cool with the bow string and being able to change it.

Is there a generic scope mount for crossbows or do I need an excalibur model? I could not find one on Bass Pro made by Excalibur, there is a BPS close by and also a Gander Mountain, Academy Sports. I am checking to see if any of the archery shops deal Excalibur. THX!!!!!!!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Grouperdawg wrote:Thanks a ton for the replies, really appreciate that, lots of good info & I am really excited to go try out the bow now this afternoon & hopefully be hunting with the boys tonight if all goes well.

That is pretty cool with the bow string and being able to change it.

Is there a generic scope mount for crossbows or do I need an excalibur model? I could not find one on Bass Pro made by Excalibur, there is a BPS close by and also a Gander Mountain, Academy Sports. I am checking to see if any of the archery shops deal Excalibur. THX!!!!!!!
It's great to have something close and convenient but seriously call Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery. He's in Sardis, Ohio. His prices and knowledge won't be touched by the big box stores.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Grouperdawg

Post by Grouperdawg »

Disregard the last question, I talked to an xbow dealer & they have the excalibur scope mount so I am in business : )

I will say that the assembly was super easy & it just feels like it is built like a tank. It definitely just feel like a quality product.

Last question; the little thing on top that holds or guides the bolt down; does it need to be perfectly in the middle? It is a little to the right of center, not sure that matters or not

And thx for the info on Danny; I will look into that next week & hopefully hook me up with some bolts
Waif

Post by Waif »

Exomax a great bow. Still tweaking one while hunting with an Axiom.
Adding a rangefinder to bracket above scope.
Good price on yours too.
Arrow retention spring should be centered and hold arrow secure yet not touch deck without an arrow in place.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
strum

Post by strum »

Grouperdawg wrote:Disregard the last question, I talked to an xbow dealer & they have the excalibur scope mount so I am in business : )

I will say that the assembly was super easy & it just feels like it is built like a tank. It definitely just feel like a quality product.

Last question; the little thing on top that holds or guides the bolt down; does it need to be perfectly in the middle? It is a little to the right of center, not sure that matters or not

And thx for the info on Danny; I will look into that next week & hopefully hook me up with some bolts
Gdawg ..I had a max for a few years ..it was like you said a tank.
I agree about the BE arrows already suggested.
you didnt go wrong at all . if you buy a scope mount from Danny you may consider the anti dry fire one..
the arrow retainer is suppose to be in the middle. if you can post a pic im sure someone can help you with that.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Waif

Post by Waif »

Waif wrote:Exomax a great bow. Still tweaking one while hunting with an Axiom.
Adding a rangefinder to bracket above scope.
Good price on yours too.
Arrow retention spring should be centered and hold arrow secure yet not touch deck without an arrow in place.
About a quarter inch between end of spring and deck when unloaded.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Grouperdawg wrote: Last question; the little thing on top that holds or guides the bolt down; does it need to be perfectly in the middle? It is a little to the right of center, not sure that matters or not
Loosen the 2 screws that hold the arrow retainer to the trigger unit. Push down on the forward end of the retainer into the arrow channel to center the arm and tighten the screws. You may want to use a touch of blue loctite or at least clear nail polish on the screws.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bubba

Post by bubba »

You really got a great deal... that bow is a little bigger than the newer matrix series bows but it will sure holds it's own on speed and knock down power. not even close to the jackel 100% improvement . I'm sure you'll agree after only a few shots. Congrats on your new Excalibur......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)