Ibex bolts and knocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Iamarealtree

Ibex bolts and knocks

Post by Iamarealtree »

Gidday all,
I've just unpacked and put together my new ibex and I've got to say, I'm really impressed - the whole package, info DVD, the bow itself and all the components are impressive, top notch items ! I am very happy with my choice, I think mr. Troubridge and the Excalibur team should be very proud of the product.

So I'm off to the mainland Australia this weekend from my island home, for birthday, picking up my kids for school holidays and some last minute shopping all lined up... I think some bolt cutters will be on the shopping list and at least a couple of spare bolts.

I have seen plenty of carbon arrows with hard plastic half-moon or V knocks, are these durable enough for my ibex ? In W M Hovey Smith's book, Crossbow Hunting, he says the half-moon or V can be filed down, what are your thoughts on this ?

I' may get some decent quality easton bolts but was curious about the knock issue...

Next project is to build some targets and sight in, and make a carbon bipod of sorts... Keen to shoot and thinking it would be good to make some kangaroo biltong with the first kill...

Az.
Kangaroo Island, Australia
Excalibur Ibex - Flemish string
GoPro scope mounted
Firebolts / Boltcutters
paulaboutform

Re: Ibex bolts and knocks

Post by paulaboutform »

Howdy neighborino from across the pond. :D As for nocks, DO NOT use anything other than flat nocks. That's what these bows were designed to shoot. With the other nocks you'll run a greater risk of not seating the arrow properly against the string or having a partial dry fire. As far as making a target, if you can get a feed sack or burlap sack (or something like that) stuffing it with old clothes cut into strips works great. Just make sure you remove buttons and zippers. Easy two finger arrow removal from even the most powerful bows, and it's hard to beat the price. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Iamarealtree

Post by Iamarealtree »

I guess the question is do I stay with alloy flat backs or are flat plastic knocks on high velocity carbon bolts okay ?
Cheers !
Aaron
GoPro scope mounted
Firebolts / Boltcutters
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

Lots of people use flat plastic nocks with no problems. I have shot both and have not noticed any difference.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
Iamarealtree

Post by Iamarealtree »

Cheers ! Thanks for the info
GoPro scope mounted
Firebolts / Boltcutters
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Plastic nocks both flat and moons will work BUT, after having a bow blow up in my hands from a failed plastic nock, I use nothing but aluminum flat nocks in my Excal. Flat nocks have proven to be more accurate, for me, than moons.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
cb175

Post by cb175 »

Hi Aaron,

If you are coming up to southern Adelaide, drop in to Archery Mart on South Rd (just google it for opening times) and get some GoldTip Laser II carbon shafts. They come with flat nocks and brass inserts and are 20" long. Add some 125gn points and you have excellent bolts. All I have ever shot out of my Ibex.

They are really good value if you are able to fletch them yourself - either 2" or 1 1/2" Blazers work great - or still pretty reasonable if you buy them made up from James.

I was told to use ONLY flat nocks with the Ibex.
Iamarealtree

Post by Iamarealtree »

Thanks cb175 I'll check them out next trip to the North Island, I just blew one of my Easton bloodlines into 4 pieces with an errant shot zeroing the scope... It might be handy to have a few spares !

Cheers.
Aaron
GoPro scope mounted
Firebolts / Boltcutters
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Find witch arrow shoots the best with your set up and use it only to sight in your scope . you will find it works the best for sighting in. and a lot easier on the other arrows. good luck with your new toy. you will have lots of fun with it.
W.M. :) :) :)
galamb

Post by galamb »

Without starting an argument I will relay "my experience".

I shoot a Vixen II - have done so for five or six years now. As long as I shot it with the factory Excel string it shot flat nocks, either plastic or metal without incident.

Once I switched to the Excal Flemish string I started getting dry/partial fires.

Now maybe it was a combination of the geometry of my particular bow using the somewhat smaller diameter string or whatever that caused the issue but since I switched to using PLASTIC HALF MOON nocks I have NEVER had another dry fire, partial fire/misfire of any description.

And I shoot my bow A LOT. I have a range in my back yard and it's not uncommon to pull the trigger 200 or 300 times a week (when the weather is co-operating).

So "my experience" is, at least on my bow (Vix II), using a flemish string, that moon nocks are not only safe to shoot, they are "superior" to either aluminum or plastic flat nocks.

Yes, just "opinion", but supported by a few thousand shots without incident.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
cb175

Post by cb175 »

Has anybody else had Graham's experience? I had a couple of partial dry fires on just one day when I reckon the serving was wearing down on one of my Flemish strings. I keep an eye on it now and switch strings if it looks like the serving is flattening a bit. Interesting that the half moon nocks solved the problem.

I shoot strings made by xcaliber (from this forum) and shoot FITA field so shoot up to 150 bolts per week (including practice).

The problem has never recurred - just happened 2 or 3 times on one day.
Iamarealtree

Post by Iamarealtree »

So, guys I'm back on this topic looking for advice on bolts. As post script to my earlier question, half moons have worked beautifully in my ibex with the excell and Flemish strings.

I'm now looking at the flight of my bolts, my Firebolts / Easton bloodlines have a notable dip in trajectory at the end of their flight when shooting at 40 & 50 yards.

The field points and the boltcutters are 150 grn, the bolts are a total of 415 grn with a foc at about 19%... What are your thoughts on this ?

I have been shooting some red zone carbons with (I think) 100 grn points, with flatter trajectory and good penetration, so I'm thinking of going to a 100 grn grizz trick on the Firebolts which will give me a total weight of 365 grn, but a lesser foc.

I was also looking at getting some lumenoks, but that will pull the foc even further back.

Looking for experiences with others who shoot ibex, axiom or vixen for their wisdom... My ibex is set up with the Flemish dyna string so should be in the order of 300 fps.

Cheers !
Aaron
GoPro scope mounted
Firebolts / Boltcutters
bubba

Post by bubba »

I shoot a Ibex. And have very good performance with slick tricks and viper tricks 100 to 125 grain. Out to fifty yards, using the stock fire bolts 3 to 4" in the groups. And I feel real confident out to 40 yards. Also have used both plastic and alu nocks flat, without any problems, total arrow at 392 grain. I think those gizz trick 100 grain will work just fine for you....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Iamarealtree

Post by Iamarealtree »

So, maybe I just had an inconsistent Easton Bloodline bolt, I'm still not convinced there's not some anomaly with this one bolt, but changed field points and all and got it grouping, but all said and done, I've had my faith restored in the Firebolts - sighted in and pulling the closest groups I ever have :D
GoPro scope mounted
Firebolts / Boltcutters