My first day as an X-bowman

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerslayr

My first day as an X-bowman

Post by deerslayr »

I took my new Exomag out for the first time to day to get the Varizone scope I put on it sighted in. All I can say is that this is the most AWSOME weapon I have ever used! Bill Troubgidge you are truly a genius :wink: and your crossbow is magnificent! It is so simple, so accurate and so incredibly powerful.

It was almost dead on at 10 yards right out of the box. A couple clicks and I drilling bulls-eyes at 20 yards! I want to thank Red Label for his advice on adjusting my varizone, it work just like you said. I put six in the bulls-eye at forty yards. Then we brought the target back to 30 and put six more in the center with no more than a finger width apart. I moved it back to twenty yards and I shot three bolts and my nephew’s son shot three and all six were practically touching and buried almost to the fletching in my block target. I didn’t think we were ever going to get them out! I put a bolt puller on my wish list.

I did have three bad things happen and two were very weird.
First I had a dry fire and I knew exactly what I did by the sound when I pulled the trigger. :x I looked very closely and could not find any damage except that one dbar seems farther out than the other. Now for the weird ones.
I put the padded sling on and I pulled it tight since I wasn’t going to need it today. Apparently it became entangled somehow and when I fire the bolt it yanked the strap forward so hard that it bent the metal buckle in half. My bolt still made it forty yards but dropped about a foot and a half and went through the heavy plastic trashcan my target was sitting on and ripped the fletching off. :shock: Lastly and truly freaky is when I fired one bolt it sounded a little different and I felt an extremely sharp slap on my thumb wrapped around the forearm. I looked up just in time to see my string falling to the ground about 10 feet in front of me. :shock: At first I thought I snapped the string and I was glad I bought two extra. But when I picked it up it was fine, completely intact, so I put it back on and fired at least 30 more times. All I could think of, is that I had tighten the string about five shots be for that one and didn’t get it restrung properly. I did hit the bulls-eye but it tore a nice chunk out of the back of the aluminum insert at the back of the bolt.

Any way that was my first day as an xbowman, it was incredible. :D
If you can't take a good shot, don't take a shot.

Dan R.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Glad the sighting in worked out.

Sounds like you at least have a bent Db Bar. Take it all apart and straighten it on a solid surface with a plastic mallet or wooden block.

Make sure everything is good and tight before you start shooting again.
You need to watch the brace height closely when breaking in a new string.

Man - that's two dry fires in two days posted one here!
Last edited by Red Label on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
claude

Post by claude »

I wouldn't stand for that you better get rid of that thing
A.W

Post by A.W »

The main thing is that you still have both thumbs. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.