New Setup reccomendations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

New CB hunter

New Setup reccomendations

Post by New CB hunter »

Hey fellas, I'm a longtime bowhunter but medically have to use a crossbow know. I dont know if I am going to enjoy it so I dont want to get to heavily invested in a crossbow.

1) I was thinking of the Barnett Quad 400 package, is that a decent bow?

2) can you use the same type of broadheads on a CB that you do with a compound? (may be a stupid question)

3) How can I "bore sight" a multi-reticle scope to get on the paper before I start wizzing bolts down range? I can see you guys have a wealth of info. and I hope to hear from someone!

Thanks
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Hi and welcome,

1.) most of us on here shoot Excalibur recurves. The simplicity of design, ruggedness and out-of-the-box accuracy is hard to beat. They are as fast as a compound bow (or faster) without all the inherent problems mechanical bows have.

2.) broadheads usually want to be short in crossbow shooting to prevent wind planing. The guys on here like SlickTricks and Wasp Boss or Wasp SST generally. There are several other brands that guys are using successfully, but these three are receiving good reviews on here.

3.) You can't "bore sight" to the best of my knowledge. Just start at real close range (10 yards) and make sure you're on the bag before you start moving out to the longer ranges.

Mike
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Wecome, I was in your shoes a year and a half ago. I purchased an exomag because of it's simplicity. No wheels or cams to keep in time ect...
Excalibur crossbows are virtually maintenance free. If you have to change a string in the field, it's simple with the excalibur, however a compound would require a trip to your local proshop. I shoot gold tip Lazer 2 bolts with 100 grain slick tricks, and the results are extreme accuracy.
Warning: DO NOT SHOOT AT THE SAME BULLSEYE TWICE or you'll be working overtime to pay for the bolts that you'll destroy. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

New CB hunter,

We may be biased with our admiration for Excaliber crossbows but there is a reason. They are awesome! Accurate beyond belief. Simple to restring. Very little maintance, other then deck wax for the serving, and an occasional oiling of the trigger assembly.

If you do go with an Excaliber, heed the words of Ray, don't shoot more than one bolt per bullseye. With a scope, as I found out this weekend, if you do your part you can put the bolts in the same hole, and that's with broadheads!
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

CB, I have a Quad 300. I found that the scope mounts had a pronounced effect on zeroing my Quad. I do not remember which way I mounted them to my Quad right now but I had to turn the around 180 degrees to get on the target even at 10 yards. After that, it was solid, even at 50 yards. I've also found that the target tip shoot albut 1" high but the 125 grain hunting tip I have are right on from 10 to 50 yards.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
New CBhunter

Thanks

Post by New CBhunter »

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the info. But how do you get the scope on paper before you starting letting bolts fly. I trying to minimize lost bolts if possilbe.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Shoot at a large target at close range (10 yds). When I purchased my exomag, my outfitter stood behind me, looked over my should and guided me through the process. I'd say that if your scope is installed correctley, you should hit the paper at 10yds, then get to twenty and zero the crosshairs at that distance. If youv'e ever had someone look over your shoulder to assure you wouldn't crash their chornograph, it's kinda the same. Hope this helps, but theres alot more experience out there than me.
:wink: Good luck.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray