Late Season Deer Movement

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Late Season Deer Movement

Post by BryanOney »

Normally in northern Ohio this time of year we are below freezing most nights. Under these conditions the deer move at night and are in the woods and bedded by the time the sun rises. For this reason it has been my experience that bowhunting in the morning is not very productive. We have had some warm weather the last few days. I have had to do some early traveling on these warm days. I have seen deer out feeding in picked corn fields half an hour after daylight in 2 of the last 3 days. At first glance it seems the deer are staying out feeding later on these warm nights. Makes me think I should bow hunt on warm mornings. Anyone else ever experience this type of deer movement on warm mornings.
xcaliber

Re: Late Season Deer Movement

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, the weather has thrown them into an unusual pattern. One cold snap should put them back in their normal winter behavior i think. I'm very fortunate to live in an area that is loaded with deer, but it is illegal to hunt them here. I get to see relaxed deer behavior, and it is somewhat connected to deer that are moderately pressured too. Heavily pressured deer behave in a totally different manner this late in the season, and I have found that to hold true in many geographical locations over the years. Late afternoon still hits the best hunting time on my watch though. I hunt the morning too, but I'm usually trying to find transition areas that are between water / food / and cover in the morning, and food trails that display heavy travel patterns, i get about 100 yards off the food trying to get the deer staging up for supper! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I favor hunting the evenings myself , simply because I can't force myself out of a warm bed at 4 am. :D
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

And then there is that too! :lol:
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

I have found a similar pattern. You are right xcaliber they are feeding nocturnal and then bedding down. I also think the pressure of the hunting season keeps them on the down low for now. Last week I have counted as many as 15 doe in our backyard at night anywhere from 5:30 to 9:30 -10pm and later. More than half were too young to harvest. They bed down in a ridge about 40 yards out from me then return in the middle of the night to graze. Yet I am headed out this morning :D as tomorrow the season ends here in Western NC. :(
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

xcaliber wrote:And then there is that too! :lol:
Good luck this morning Xcaliber!
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
SEW

Post by SEW »

Here in AR , a final 3 days of gun season(ML/shotgun). Going AM & PM as there is better chance at getting a final deer out hunting than being inside the house. Agree, PM, near dark, is better.
Good luck all.
TYE

Post by TYE »

This weather here back and forth has been messing with me all season. Can't pattern the deer to save my life because one day it's warm the next it's freezing. Most of the deer movement on my cameras have been at night. Mostly a hour before sunrise and a hour after sunset therefore no good for me. As well as a lot of activity around midnight.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My buddy has a huge 12 pointer on trail cam shots since early October. This hog has double drop tines, and both brow tines are split. He has hunted this area hard all season with zero sightings in legal hours. The weather has a big effect too, and this buck is on a private chunk of land with minimal pressure.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Food! I've found evenings best.