Question on new 405 setup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Re: Question on new 405 setup

Post by Species8472 »

bloodtrail wrote: By the way what does FOC stand for?
Freaking Outrageous Cut and coincidentally Front of Centre.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Talltines wrote:
SEW wrote:Brian, please compare the pros and cons of both the M405 and the 165. There's no question the Scorpyd is in a power/speed league all it's own. Thanks.
Sew,

They are very different. The scorpyd is heavy but well balanced which helps do to the RDT design. Cocking is way way WAY easier with the scorpyd and that sled. Very very good trigger and better than my 405. It also has less shock in the hands and is really super duper quiet. The bad, it takes effort to get your arrows to fly at distances past 40/50 yards. Trying to get them to shoot as there is a little bit in the (GRAY) area here. Let me explain.. Getting to shoot is relative here. I mean sub 1". But 2 to 3" groups is not hard but to ME unacceptable. Trying many shafts and vane combos and nocks even made a difference. I got obsessed with extreme accuracy and did find it. Deer at 60+ not even a thought. It's meat !

With this kind of speed even my BH was limited to swhackers and nothing else. If I only shot to 40 yards I could get away with a lot of heads but accuracy to me needed to be sub 1".

My 405 is EASY AS A HOT KNIFE THROUGH BUTTER. Any BH and arrow combo so far have been stellar. I love the simplistic nature of the recurve. I am able to change string and just BH at a whim. It's kind of ... if you only have one crossbow it's the excalibur for sure.
Brian, have you had limb issues with your Scorpyd?
norm
SEW

Post by SEW »

Concerning the question of broadheads: the Swhackers (brass insert) and FOC have the least steering. Lots of people will state that their broadhead is so consistent and hits just the same as a fieldpoint, "all the way out to 40 yards". So? The rubber meets the road from 50-100 yds. What happens then? Broadheads steer. That's just fact. Broadheads are affected by xwinds. Fact also. Which is affected least? Answer, the long defunct Puckett. Blades were totally enclosed. The Swhacker and FOC seem, to me, to have the least protrusion into the airstream and are inline with the flight path, not slightly deflected.
Speed doesn't count w/o accuracy. The 405 has both. Lots of people mention power and state that this or that xbow has enough power to kill T-Rex. Power isn't the primary issue to me, trajectory is. Speed reduces the arc. I coyote hunt nearly as much as deer hunt. Doesn't take much to kill a coyote, power-wise. If they made a M435, I'd use it to coyote hunt.
Let's face it, CF rifles' range has increased over the decades. So have MLers, shotguns, stick bows, compound bows, and yes, xbow's. "Ethical" still means the same, now and 50 years ago, but "ethical range" has increased.
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

Species8472
Thanks for the info.
In that case the Grim Reaper X Bow BHs have awesome FOC
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL THE EXCALIBUR BROTHERS OUT THERE !
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

coolhl wrote:
Talltines wrote:
SEW wrote:Brian, please compare the pros and cons of both the M405 and the 165. There's no question the Scorpyd is in a power/speed league all it's own. Thanks.
Sew,

They are very different. The scorpyd is heavy but well balanced which helps do to the RDT design. Cocking is way way WAY easier with the scorpyd and that sled. Very very good trigger and better than my 405. It also has less shock in the hands and is really super duper quiet. The bad, it takes effort to get your arrows to fly at distances past 40/50 yards. Trying to get them to shoot as there is a little bit in the (GRAY) area here. Let me explain.. Getting to shoot is relative here. I mean sub 1". But 2 to 3" groups is not hard but to ME unacceptable. Trying many shafts and vane combos and nocks even made a difference. I got obsessed with extreme accuracy and did find it. Deer at 60+ not even a thought. It's meat !

With this kind of speed even my BH was limited to swhackers and nothing else. If I only shot to 40 yards I could get away with a lot of heads but accuracy to me needed to be sub 1".

My 405 is EASY AS A HOT KNIFE THROUGH BUTTER. Any BH and arrow combo so far have been stellar. I love the simplistic nature of the recurve. I am able to change string and just BH at a whim. It's kind of ... if you only have one crossbow it's the excalibur for sure.
Brian, have you had limb issues with your Scorpyd?
norm
Not for regular use. Only when I screwed up and dry fired it twice on the same limbs. And even that was a very minor splinter but scorpyd wanted it replaced. Very tuff limbs. For normal use its flawless
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Sew i agree 1000%. With your statement. But I also like the speed for increased penetration on odd angled shots where i drive a BH through both shoulders or a hard quartering away shot where you are literally sneaking that arrow in BEHIND the ribs just in front of the hip and blast through just about the length of the deer and blowing out the off shoulder. It takes power to do this and I won't even risk that I won't get full ppenetration unless I know the bow is up to it and bow of mine are.

I love both my bows but I can see me getting rid of my scorpyd SLP165 in the very near future. Reason would be the weight and size. I am loving how much lighter the 405 is compared. But iwould be replacing it with another scorpyd but a smaller one like the orion. Power but more size efficient.

I can tell you that the 405 is permanently in my stable. I just flat out enjoy shooting it often.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time