O/TO/T O/T NO HUNTING!! NEED ARROW HELP

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bubba

O/TO/T O/T NO HUNTING!! NEED ARROW HELP

Post by bubba »

hope I've covered my bases...I received a grain scale for Christmas and of course I've been weighing ever thing broad heads field points my arrows...And that is where I am hung up. Now I have a Ibex and I shoot the fire bolts that came with my bow,of course I purchased a doz, more. Anyway with the stock arrow I shoot a 100 grain slick trick,ok I weigh the arrow complete with broad head is 374 grains.....I don't have a chrony and have no idea what my speed is..But after harvesting four deer these past few months I'm happy with what I've got and don't want to change a thing. And next year I'm planning for a new bow.My question is Excaliber says i'll get 305 f.p.s. with a 350 grain arrow. I thought that was what I had? Not 374..How did they get 305 with my set up? I know this probably sounds trivial but hey I admit it I'm still learning....What do you think I'm getting speed wise? What arrow does Excaliber use that's 350 grain? how much does the glue weigh on a finished arrow? Any help would be appreciated .......I hope no one gets PEED off...............
Last edited by bubba on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Re: O/TO/T O/T NO HUNTING!! NEED ARROW HELP

Post by xcaliber »

That weight sounds about right. If you're using a Flemish string, I would guess around 290. I got 304 with my Ibex using 360 grains.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

I knew you would be the first to respond thanks. how much glue weight for a common arrow? and I am using a boo force ten Flemish string.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Never really checked that! :? That material is what I was using when I had my Ibex, should be getting great speeds with Boo string. I would guess glue weight to be less than 3 grains.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Bubba,
The "Exo Series" bows have shown over time to lose 1fps for every 5 grains above 350. So at 374gr (round to 375) you are 25 grains above 350. Divide that by 5 and you get 5fps slower. So my guess is you are somewhere in the 300fps +/- 2fps range.

I don't have any stock Firebolts anymore as I've refletched them all with feathers, but I did weigh one of mine and got 243.8gr. Then I weighed 3 feathers versus 3, 3" plastic vanes and got a 26.2 gr difference. So roughly speaking a stock firebolt is 270gr. If they have 4" fletchings, maybe just slightly more. So your numbers are right on.

If you want to get to ~~350gr, just refletch them with some 2" Rayzr feathers from Gateway. You'll pick up some FOC as well. Personally, for deer I'd stick with what you got or even go to 125gr heads. Still be above 290fps and at 400gr (my personal min. for "deer arrow" weight.)
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've found that I get roughly about 6 to 7 fps decrease in speed for every 25 grains of increased arrow weight from 350 to 400 grains, then the amount of speed loss seems to taper off as arrow weight increases above 400 gr. I have not shot over 425 grains total weight, but it seems to hold true with both my bows--an Exomag and a M380, and that was with several different strings. Say with your Boo string your bow shot exactly the spec 305 with 350 grains, you should be somewhere around 297ish with 374 grains using the same string. A chrony is an indispensable tool when doing this kind of experimenting :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

305 fps is attained using 350 gr arrow and Danny Millers factory Flemish string , And Danny's string are light ! Light = fast ! Lot easier to pick up speed with less arrow weight than a string ! JMO ! :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
galamb

Post by galamb »

To get more specifically to your question - they got 305 fps by not shooting it with the accessories/string that they packaged it with for retail purposes.

I see it kinda like the MPG advertisements of a car. Yes, if you run it on a treadmill @ 40 mph in a climate controlled environment @ sea level with 30% humidity it will get/is capable of getting 30 mpg - but that isn't reality.

Likewise, your bow is "capable" of 305 fps, but in reality, rigged for hunting (where whether it's making 305 or 285 fps is really of little consequence), it's not shooting as fast as it "could". It's "actual" speed is somewhat reduced by turning it into something that will kill a game animal instead of a chronograph.

Key words are "capable" and "actual".
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
greentag

Post by greentag »

I think galamb makes a good point there...
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
bubba

Post by bubba »

Thanks, agreed you do make a good point. Its just I have a need to know all the technology stuff.. Which I know can be boring to some.....I'm just a southern redneck smile.............
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Kegbelly wrote:I've found that I get roughly about 6 to 7 fps decrease in speed for every 25 grains of increased arrow weight from 350 to 400 grains, then the amount of speed loss seems to taper off as arrow weight increases above 400 gr. I have not shot over 425 grains total weight, but it seems to hold true with both my bows--an Exomag and a M380, and that was with several different strings. Say with your Boo string your bow shot exactly the spec 305 with 350 grains, you should be somewhere around 297ish with 374 grains using the same string. A chrony is an indispensable tool when doing this kind of experimenting :D
I measured my buffalo arrows once. They were about 526gr and was getting 290 on the chrony out of my Vortex. That equates to 4.4fps/gr so you may be right that it tapers off. Seems like a good off season experiment to me!! Of course vane type and arrow length play a role in it all.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
greentag

Post by greentag »

bubba wrote:Thanks, agreed you do make a good point. Its just I have a need to know all the technology stuff.. Which I know can be boring to some.....I'm just a southern redneck smile.............
im a sothern hillbilly from the appalacian hills and mountains of kentucky myself,aint nothin wrong with that :D these here computers still blow my mind in the technology department,and im 36 and to this day still have never owned a cell phone.. :oops:
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)