What Crossbow to buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: What Crossbow to buy?

Post by xcaliber »

None more powerful! Are there other advantages to other models, yes. If you want pure speed, and power, that is the one.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
njlungbuster

Post by njlungbuster »

I'm fairly new to crossbows but I have seen the 405 and held it. For me, it's friggin huge. I ended up buying the micro four the exact opposite reason. However a man of your stature would probably fare well with it. My buddy is your size and he said my micro felt to small for him. I'd say take a look at the micro because it'll more than handle any animal in north America, but it may be to small "size wise" for you. The 380 is in the middle and probably would feel like the micro does to me. So that's an option too. Good luck and welcome.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

I am 6'5/245 and own both 335 micros and the M/380. I have harvested 5 doe this past season here in NC with the M/380. I do like how compact, light and powerful the micros are and honestly it's a tuff choice to choose which now to hunt with. My advice, own both. :D you can never own to many crossbows.
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum!! With your size go for the 405 beast. the biggest , meanest Excalibur crossbow made. If I could handle it would be my choice...... Good luck.........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I didn't knowed Excal made anything but the 405 ! The rest are jus pups on the Porch n can't run wid the Big Dogs :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

I'm 5'10", 180#,almost 68, own a M380 and a M405. Use C-2 to cock 405 but only take rope for re cocking when hunting. It feels just right size-wise for me. The 405 almost always gets to go hunting. The M335 weighs about the same(why?) but is better balanced. I own and hunt with a M405 because Excal doesn't make a M435. Think BMW does. :D
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I would disregard anything in those comments that did not originate from THIS forum. These guys right here will not guide you in the wrong direction. These folks tell you their honest assessment from real field use. These are for serious HUNTERS, not so much 3D, or target shooters. Can you shoot it 50 - 60 times per outing at the range, yes, do you have to, or want to, IDK.
Read from the guys that actually have one, and trust their reviews!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Waif

Post by Waif »

vixenmaster wrote:I didn't knowed Excal made anything but the 405 ! The rest are jus pups on the Porch n can't run wid the Big Dogs :lol:
:roll: :lol:
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Parwannab wrote:Thanks for the advice. I am especially interested in the comments that say this would be a reason to not buy the 405. I think that is the one, the 405, but so far these would be opposing thoughts.

1) I'm not opposed to saving a few coins.
2) Others are more compact but I can't find the exact widths on the web site. I love compact width but do no want it to be short. Anyone use the extender? I would rate compact width equal with flat shooting.
I would really like to know the width of the 380 vs the 405 cocked and uncocked.
3) just how far do I need the bolt to stick in the ground after passing through game?
4) I was interested in the balance comment. I would have thought balance was similar for all models.
5) i wish the arrow chart included the 405.
6) since Bowtech has entered the picture are we going to see something new soon?

Thanks again for your comments.
OK lets go thru this list. 1st yer a big person so none of the weight of model should be a problem. Width of the 405-380-355 are not 3/4"diff about 26". The 405 is a touch front heavy feelin to me at 5'9" pudgy man, :lol: 355 has nice balance, don't own nor need the 380 wid a 405. My 405 shoots 397 wid an 18" BEE arrow. Bowtech is separate jus the main Parent Company owns both.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

6'5" :shock: I say buy the 405 for hunting and get the Micro to carry in your pocket for snake protection :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

strum wrote:6'5" :shock: I say buy the 405 for hunting and get the Micro to carry in your pocket for snake protection :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hold & shoot as many as you can...they all will kill anything you want. It's just a matter of how far you want to look for your arrow. :mrgreen:
I mostly hunt with my Vixen and never feel " under gunned. "
Keep us posted on your choice and good luck. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"