Newbie question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dale

Newbie question

Post by Dale »

Well, First year deer hunting ever and with a crossbow. Saw 5 deer this season, only one close enough to get a shot at, But it was still too dark to shoot. With no previous experience,I do not want to wound an animal. At this point, I need to know that I have a good clean shot. Ya I know, the newbie blew it, nice big buck ta boot. But he'll be bigger next year, and I'll be waiting lol. Any way, I am using a Exomax that I bought used this year, Beautiful shape, looks like it's never been used. Should I store it with the bow string off, and if so, do I need to remove the rubber pads in front of the limbs? There are an outer set, and an inner set. Appreciate your help with this. I look after my equipment, and get many years of service as a result. I am very pleased with this crossbow as it is deadly accurate. Was told it would last me a lifetime.
Exomax
Easton 2219 bolts
150 grain Bolt cutters
one shot scott

Re: Newbie question

Post by one shot scott »

If you don't plan to use it then unstringing is not a bad idea, even though many of us don't with no ill effects. Just remove the dissipator pads[(outer)infront]of limbs. I'm thinking that you have a string stopper that you are referring to as the inners. No need to remove those when unstringing.

And it sounds like ya made a good call re: the deer, there's always next time to make a good hit!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Personal choice i guess...have never unstrung mine in the off season, no ill effects. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

If it has the dissipator bars (outer ones = DBs), YES - remove the pads!
I like to remove the string if I'm not going to be shooting within a few weeks. You can shoot it without the DB pads, just don't dry-fire it without them! :shock:

As for not taking the shot, wise move IMO!
He will probably be there again next season and it beats the heck out of wounding one and feeding the scavengers!
wabi
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thanks for the help. I do like the new Matrix series crossbows. but did not have the cash for a new one. Also decided to see if I like it first as well. In all honesty, the size of the Exomax is not an issue where I hunt, Plus it is stupid accurate, and carries more than enough energy for deer hunting. The only issue I have is I am only 5'5" tall, and it is a bit of a stretch for me to cock it. Plus I am not as young as I used to be. My friend has a Matrix 380, and it really is no harder to cock than my Exomax. Having said that, If I was to change at some point (with my wife's grace), my first choice would be the Matrix 355 or 2nd choice the Micro 335.
Exomax
Easton 2219 bolts
150 grain Bolt cutters