Dissipater bar question?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerslayr

Dissipater bar question?

Post by deerslayr »

I was checking things out today on my Exomag, making sure all the screws were still tight, after shooting about a hundred arrows on Sunday. When I turned the screws holding the dissipater bars on, I noticed that all four were lose. Is this normal and if not how tight should they be? I looked through all of the documentations that came with it and could not find anything.

One last question.

WILL DEER SEASON EVER GET HERE????!!!!! :cry:
If you can't take a good shot, don't take a shot.

Dan R.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Deerslayer, this is a normal reaction to the vibrations of firing shot after shot, this has hapened to most of us. If you use a sparing amount of blue Loc-tite that will take care of of the bolts loosening up.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BUCKSHOT

What I Do

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I have changed many sets of db bars since I got interested in crossbows!
I would suggest that if you have blue loctite (thread locker) to use it, on the same token I would also suggest that before you loctite your bolts on the dissipator bars, make sure that all the spacing is as even as you can get it. When I assemble a crossbow and install the dissipator bars I always use a set Vernier Micrometers to ensure the spacing is even on all four points of the hold down bars!
I first tighten a set of bolts to the point where the piece of rubber, between the limbs and the db, is slightly compressed, then I measure the two spaces and make them even!
Then I take the same dimension and make the other set of bars tight to the same!
This has always worked well, I highly recommend getting the spacing on the hold downs as close as possible! :wink:
P.S I learned this from a good guy, that knows a lot about the crossbow!
Happy Maint.!
Enjoy the Harvest!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Deerslayer, that was excellent advise from Buckshot. Due to my neglegence, I had to send my exomag in for a new magtip. Of course it was disassembled when I sent it off and was returned disassembled. When I put it back together, I used the blue locktite on every bolt. But I still check them occasionally. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray

Re: Dissipater bar question?

Post by Guest »

deerslayr wrote:One last question.

WILL DEER SEASON EVER GET HERE????!!!!! :cry:
It's almost OVER!! :wink:

Well....here in Victoria, Australia it is. The red deer season runs from 1st June to 31st July.

I haven't bothered going this year because I'm not ready to hunt yet. Bought the crossbow late April, am yet to fire it. Also I don't have any como or the money to buy camo.

Cheers,
Wombat.
deerslayr

Post by deerslayr »

Thanks for the info Buckshot, let me repeat it back to make sure I am on the right track. Don’t tighten them down completely just tighten them until they start to squeeze the rubber spacers. Then evenly space them away from the limbs and secure them with loctite. Is red loctite ok?

Hey Wombat you just gave me a great idea. When I win the lottery I can spend my time traveling around the world going from deer season to deer season. When I can’t find a deer season I guess I will have to fish! :wink: I was down in Perth a few years back in February and it was hot but I really enjoyed the ocean. I never been to Victoria but I did grow fond of Victoria bitters. One day this guy saw me drinking a bottle and told me I shouldn’t drink it. He said you got to support your state mate. I told him my state was Iowa and I’d drink what ever I wanted. He just walked away. Anyway loved your country I hope to get back someday. No worries. :P
If you can't take a good shot, don't take a shot.

Dan R.

Post by Guest »

deerslayr wrote:Hey Wombat you just gave me a great idea. When I win the lottery I can spend my time traveling around the world going from deer season to deer season. When I can’t find a deer season I guess I will have to fish! :wink: I was down in Perth a few years back in February and it was hot but I really enjoyed the ocean. I never been to Victoria but I did grow fond of Victoria bitters. One day this guy saw me drinking a bottle and told me I shouldn’t drink it. He said you got to support your state mate. I told him my state was Iowa and I’d drink what ever I wanted. He just walked away. Anyway loved your country I hope to get back someday. No worries. :P
Not sure about the other states but the deer hunting laws are slack in Victoria compared to the US and Canada. No bag limit on red deer during the hunting season, and some breads of deer can be hunted all year round. On the down side, Crossbow laws are tougher and you couldn't handle our strict gun laws.

Cheers,
Wombat.
BUCKSHOT

No Red!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I wouldn't recommend the use of red loctite on any of the bolts on your dissipator pads. On the small bolts it is too easy to strip the head out if you have to take the bars or your limbs apart!
The blue loctite will work just fine, just put a bab on each bolt as you are assembling your dissipators, it takes the blue stuff quite a while to set up and you will have plenty of time to do your job!
Yes, just try to tighten the hold downs just tight enough to squeeze the rubber, over tightening will cause the little bars which hold the bolts too bend. Remember to make them as even as possible, for spacing at all four points!
Have fun!
Enjoy the Harvest!