20 year old Excalibur 165 Exocet still deadly on 14 point

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: 20 year old Excalibur 165 Exocet still deadly on 14 poi

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on the buck, and the old hammer too! :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Looper21

Post by Looper21 »

PS I just swapped out the scope a month ago and needed new screws the Fine people at Excalibur rushed them to me at no cost . I owe them huge !!! :D That my friends is service
Looper21

Post by Looper21 »

Got him scored officially at 159 3/8
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Waif wrote:Kinda hard to argue with success.
Congrats!
...true that!....true that!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Congrats on your success .... How does a person get 5 yards from a 10 pt?.... Share your secrets .... PLEASE ... :shock:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Looper21

Post by Looper21 »

He was actually a 14 point . I have shot 2 tens and this 14 all within 5 yards. I hunt from a 15 foot single man portable ladder stand. I ser out my cameras in May and leave them run until January. I don't worry about scent like most guys I leave my clothes in the garage but wear rubber boots. This buck shows up on my cam 30 minutes before I shot him walking down the same trail I walked in on about 15 minutes before he shows up. I placed my stand on the downwind side of trails. I turned down about 5 does and only hunt bucks. This year I spent a lot of time in my stand usually getting there in the morning about 45 minutes before hunting time and stay till 830 ish < I come home from work and go to the stand at 430 and stay until last legal light, I use bait piles and hang 3 cams and check them a couple times a week. This particular deer never appeared on cam until 2 days before I shot him and both those pics were at 3 in the morning. Pure luck I guess is how I get them . I turn down does and small bucks all the time. So maybe that makes them more comfortable to travel in the area. I'm not sure. I have had 18 and 10 points with in 5 yards every year for the last 10
years. I make big bait piles of apples , pears or carrots and that draws a lot of deer. I used to store all my clothes in bins with evergreen bows and did all the scent control crap Then one day I wore my duck hunting stuff and had a deer walk right up to me and never paid attention. I honestly keep them in my shop with a wood stove and my dog often stays in there . I had another 12 at 15 yards who walked by following a doe. He didn't give me a shot and he never paid any attention to me. So you got me. I do sit extremely still for the entire time I'm on the stand I think movement is a big factor That's how I seem to spot deer in the heavy cover I hunt. Again I still figure a lot of it is Luck
swiftfox

Post by swiftfox »

I bought my vixen in 1990. That is when they were still camo, original when you bought them. Still shoot old 226 arrows with a varizone scope. use 125 gr slick trick and I have shot more deer with my bow than with my shotgun or rifle. every one of my neighbours laughs at a old grey hair lady going out to the woods and trying to hunt a deer. they don't laugh when I invite them over for venison stew. Have a great neighbour, when I call and say I need a lift, all he ask is what farm are you in and do I need to bring help. This year I said yes as I had some health issues and it took me longer to get my deer with my bow. Hooked on bow hunting.
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

swiftfox wrote:I bought my vixen in 1990. That is when they were still camo, original when you bought them. Still shoot old 226 arrows with a varizone scope. use 125 gr slick trick and I have shot more deer with my bow than with my shotgun or rifle. every one of my neighbours laughs at a old grey hair lady going out to the woods and trying to hunt a deer. they don't laugh when I invite them over for venison stew. Have a great neighbour, when I call and say I need a lift, all he ask is what farm are you in and do I need to bring help. This year I said yes as I had some health issues and it took me longer to get my deer with my bow. Hooked on bow hunting.
This is a wonderful thing! You made me smile by reading this. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
joel0711

Post by joel0711 »

Congrats,,, great buck!!
Using an exocet myself. Got the grandson an equinox, great bow, but the exocet was my first crossbow and it "fits me to a T"... Thought several times of upgrading but keep asking myself---WHY--- so far cant find a good reason to change... The exocet will probably out last me..
Looper21

Post by Looper21 »

I'm in the same boat I love the idea of a new micro, But then think this bow is still in good shape , still accurate , has killed a number of deer . So is it worth spending 800 or keep goin ole Skool