Painting an Exocet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

buttnbuck

Painting an Exocet

Post by buttnbuck »

Hey fella's, just purchased an older exocet, has the older kinda greenish camo on it right now.I would like to clean it up and repaint the stock and limbs. Been looking at Krylon paints and was thinking about going black since the rail is silver, thought it would look kinda cool.Should i use a clear coat afterwards? and would it crack especially on the limbs?
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Painting an Exocet

Post by Hunt it »

I would not use krypton paint myself and don't paint rail surface ( top of rail). I would consider buying a camo paint kit from your local hunting store ( HS Camo is brand I think) snip off few cedar bows and find a few oak leaves to use as stencil for camo pattern. One of those kits has plastic leaves with it. A good camo job will look much better than solid krypton type paint. Your rail is pewter grey colour not silver I'd think. This is an anodized finish that is very durable. Just my opinion of course. You could look at having it dipped as an alternative, your local gun store will most likely have a source for commercial dip coatings. I do believe some offer the carbon fibre look as a dip option if this is what your seeking.
greybuff

Post by greybuff »

I would look at black Plastidip for the stock and maybe try the new rustolem ruberized for the limbs. You could even sprinkle sand on the butt pad surface on the wet 1st coat and then put another coat over the sand. Makes for a real secure shoulder to butt weld for offhand and even bench shooting.leave the limb tips unpainted where the string goes.
MICRO 335 CAMO
Nikon Bolt
2Stage TT
FOR THE LITTLE LADY:
VIXEN from an EXOCET (VIXOCET)
Varizone
BOO STRING
Homemade Bumpers
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive used Duracoat matte black but its 30$ a can. ive read where people use flat black automotive bumper paint.i wouldnt use any clear coat on a black finish unless you were looking for a gloss finish. dip finish is nice but pricey.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Rustoleum is a very durable enamel,,I would send them an e-mail addressing your concerns,,most all enamels are the same,,the difference is some are more durable than others for example sign painters use an enamel that is called 1-SHOT,,,certain additives to the paint make it stand up to the weather better,,,worth considering,,,good luck in your project and post a picture when your done :wink:
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

On the limbs, use a paint with a flex agent in it. Otherwise it can peel and crack.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

You might do a search, Normous has some posts and Boo also on this. Norm used a paint with a flex agent ( I don't remember brand of paint but color was landau black) Boo used a self etching primer( acid bases ) both had good luck and their bows looked really nice.
westcoastruss

Post by westcoastruss »

I second Plasti-dip. It is tough and flexible. I did my Jeep rims and they held up through all hunting season.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Big John Zombie Slayers
Toxic broadheads
Red & White Xcaliber strings - Oh Canada!
"Y" Munch Mount
Trigger Tech trigger
ds762

Post by ds762 »

I vote for Krylon .. cause I'm "that guy"!! :mrgreen:
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....speaking of painting or dipping....would this process work if I wanted to do it to my Micro 335 which is dying to become a Nightmare 335...might be a cheaper route than selling the Micro 335 at a loss to buy the Nightmare...any ideas?

....also where and what might you think it would cost?

....thanks...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

you can go to a auto store and get any color you want and they will add a flex agent to the paint . but it will be expensive so you will be better off with a rattle can enamel . use a primer . and brush for a stencil . I painted a bow pink for my daughter [pink] and I used my air brush. good luck :)
W.M.
flightattendant100

W.Miguire wrote:you can go to a auto store and get any color you want and they will add a flex agent to the paint . but it will be expensive so you will be better off with a rattle can enamel . use a primer . and brush for a stencil . I painted a bow pink for my daughter [pink] and I used my air brush. good luck :)
W.M.
I looked it up. SEM 150 Landau Black is the paint "Normous" used to paint a bow that has a flex agent in it allready. Looked great and was durable. It comes in rattle can as well.
flightattendant100

amythntr wrote:....speaking of painting or dipping....would this process work if I wanted to do it to my Micro 335 which is dying to become a Nightmare 335...might be a cheaper route than selling the Micro 335 at a loss to buy the Nightmare...any ideas?

....also where and what might you think it would cost?

....thanks...

Anthony :)
Anthony, Have you seen any of the HD bikes in a sort of Flat black? Its called "Denim Black" or "Black Denim". Its flat but not 100% flat.It looks like it has a texture but feels smooth to the touch.Its a kick butt color. It screams paint a bow with me... But being an HD paint its 38.00 for a rattle can!!!! Just a thought. If I win the lotto I'm going to paint something with it! :lol:
buttnbuck

Post by buttnbuck »

Thanks guys for all the info.....will post pics when the Exocet is reborn :wink:
Normous

Post by Normous »

flightattendant100 wrote:
W.Miguire wrote:you can go to a auto store and get any color you want and they will add a flex agent to the paint . but it will be expensive so you will be better off with a rattle can enamel . use a primer . and brush for a stencil . I painted a bow pink for my daughter [pink] and I used my air brush. good luck :)
W.M.
I looked it up. SEM 150 Landau Black is the paint "Normous" used to paint a bow that has a flex agent in it allready. Looked great and was durable. It comes in rattle can as well.
A paint with a flex agent is required to paint Excalibur limbs. SEM Landau Black has held up extremely well with two thin coats.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family