Matrix Mega 405 limbs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Matrix Mega 405 limbs

Post by mchurch »

I just saw another splinter on the left limb of my matrix Mega 405. Hopefully I am not doing something wrong. My arrows are around 400 grains. For those that own one, how are your limbs holding up? How often do you shoot yours?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
ComfyBear

Re: Matrix Mega 405 limbs

Post by ComfyBear »

The Mega 405 is a beast of a bow. After only a few months, mine also developed a splinter on one of the limbs. I also found it placed a lot of stress on all the parts in general. So several months ago I swapped it for a M380 on the straight trade. Although I took a loss, I find I now have a smoother and gentler shooting bow, and don't have to deal with loose screws.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Have you had any more limb splinters?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

No it was the only one.

What's interesting is that starting with the Wolverine, I've owned Excalibur crossbows since 1989, and I've owned several different Exo-series models since from Vixen to Exomax and I still do.

It wasn't until I acquired the Matrix Mega 405 that I encountered issues.

It started with the trigger, mine was the one that was responsible for the massive trigger recall. Not long after replacing the trigger, my right limb developed a splinter. It was minor so I snapped it off and sanded it down. All seemed fine, until about a month later I noticed some vibration coming from the fore-end, and noticed the screws were loose. When I went to tighten them up, the one by the trigger snugged up fine, but the front one just spun since the hole in the rail was stripped. That's when I decided I wanted to "down-grade" to a Matrix 380.

I don't know, perhaps my 405, being one of the early ones produced, was just a defective one that slipped through the cracks.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Had mine since June 2014. About 100 shots on it. No issues. Killed 5 deer with it this season.

After purchasing and before shooting I completely disassembled it and replaced the trigger with a trigger tech, stock with a walnut thumbhole, scope with a Vortex XBR and string with a Boo. When reassembling I applied lock-tite to every screw and bolt. The scope and stock are heavier than the factory offerings and combined with the bolts I shoot (490 grains) I am sure it is quieter with significantly less vibration.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

I LOVE my 405 as its a beast of a bow and puts a whoop on them deer for sure. Not one problem with mine at all (knock on Wood). I have had it for about 3 months and shot it about 300 to 400 times. Heck I get home from work in the morning and just shoot it in my garage at like 10 feet just for the pure enjoyment of it. It's just cool.

I am usually the one like you where i would be asking everyone if you had problems and everyone say nope its great with no problems and I would be.the one that had an issue.

Call excalibur and if your season is over for you send it in And they will take care of you I am sure.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have had mine for 4 months couple hundred shots on it, no trouble at all. Currently its unstrung hangin from it pegs in my cabin. I love mine & if'en sumpin happens i will let the warranty take care of it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I've had issues with my limbs with my 405 and so has my buddy with his 405 too. Excalibur's CS is over helpful and understanding and willing to do whatever it takes to make it right. I may not have faith in my 405 limbs but I sure do in their CS..

hope you get squared away very soon.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
SEW

Post by SEW »

When I was trying to decide on a M380 or a M405 , I called Danny M. And asked his opinion. He stated the obvious: the more stress on a crossbow, the higher percentage of problems will occur. IE, M405 will have more problems than M380 than M355 than M330 than M310. Excalibur now has 2 very high performance xbows: M405 and Mini335. When I shoot a friend's Equinox, I can easily tell the greater stress levels of the 380 & 405.
I have over 1,000 shots thru my 380 and 400-500 thru my 405. No problems.
As the speed/performance levels reach compound levels, and especially as width goes down, stress problems will inevitably increase. That's why I have 2 identically set up Excals. If I had a Vortex, I wouldn't feel the need to have a backup, nor a M330; but with a 405 or a 335, I would. We all need an excuse to own more than 1 Excal .
Last edited by SEW on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

SEW wrote:When I was trying to decide on a M380 or a M405 , I called Danny M. And asked his opinion. He stated the obvious: the more stress on a crossbow, the higher percentage of problems will occur. IE, M405 will have more problems than M380 than M355 than M330 than M310. Excalibur now has 2 very high performance xbows: M380 and Mini335. When I shoot a friend's Equinox, I can easily tell the greater stress levels of the 380 & 405.
I have over 1,000 shots thru my 380 and 400-500 thru my 405. No problems.
As the speed/performance levels reach compound levels, and especially as width goes down, stress problems will inevitably increase. That's why I have 2 identically set up Excals. If I had a Vortex, I wouldn't feel the need to have a backup, nor a M330; but with a 405 or a 335, I would. We all need an excuse to own more than 1 Excal .
fortunately no one yet, to my knowledge, has complained on this forum of any functional noncosmetic problems with their Micro limbs. From what I read on other forums most major brand have had occasional limb issues with their high FPS/poundage limbs including Scorpyd.

the flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long....(Lao Tzu)

norm
SEW

Post by SEW »

coolhl wrote:

the flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long....(Lao Tzu)

norm
Oregon Black Knight

220 Swift
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I don't think its a specific 405 problem. I went upnorth for the last three days of Michigan bow season. First day I walk about 1/2 mile to my blind start to cock my 380 and just before I reach full draw hear a loud crunching noise.Thought it was just the ice and snow under my boot,continued the last inch or so and secured the string. I reach for an arrow and as I am placing it on the rail I see something odd on my left limb face. Numerous 6 inch long splinters protruding out from my left limb. A couple of them were about an 1/8 inch thick. End of season for me. Drove 200 miles back home. Limbs were sent in for warranty. I figure maybe total 40 shots on the bow. I think these are very good limbs but you can get a bad one on just about any of these bows. I have no doubt that good set of limbs will last most of us a lifetime even the 405.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Boo

Post by Boo »

Mine clocked over 1800 shots with no issues. At Boofest, I let a couple of guys take it away to shoot. When I picked it up, I saw a splinter and 2 of my arrows with the plastic nocks were mushroomed where they meet the shaft. Upon closer inspection, 3 of the arrows were split at the rear. Logic tells me the guys had a coupletter of semi-dry fires.
I can't say what happened to anyone else's limbs but I know what happened to mine!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Michiganhunter wrote:I don't think its a specific 405 problem. I went upnorth for the last three days of Michigan bow season. First day I walk about 1/2 mile to my blind start to cock my 380 and just before I reach full draw hear a loud crunching noise.Thought it was just the ice and snow under my boot,continued the last inch or so and secured the string. I reach for an arrow and as I am placing it on the rail I see something odd on my left limb face. Numerous 6 inch long splinters protruding out from my left limb. A couple of them were about an 1/8 inch thick. End of season for me. Drove 200 miles back home. Limbs were sent in for warranty. I figure maybe total 40 shots on the bow. I think these are very good limbs but you can get a bad one on just about any of these bows. I have no doubt that good set of limbs will last most of us a lifetime even the 405.
You need to get a backup bow. :wink:
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I owned an Exomax for several, years with no dry fires or semi dry fires and this 380 has never had one either I am positive of that. I am very anal when it comes to my bows and rifles.
Yes a backup Excalibur would be nice. However when I ordered this Matrix 380. I realized after it arrived that my wife had intercepted the bill and paid for it out of her pocket as gift to me...I think this will be my one and only "special" crossbow..lol, at least for now.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger