LONGER ARROWS? ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

LONGER ARROWS? ???

Post by paulaboutform »

I've been reading some threads about shorter arrows recently. Has anyone tried longer arrows? I'm thinking 20"-22" from my M380. My theory is that at LOOONGER range the longer arrows would be more stable and I'm guessing would penetrate better. I realize they may stick out beyond the stirrup but I'm not concerned with that at this point. Has anyone tried super long range with longer arrows? Say 80yards +.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: LONGER ARROWS? ???

Post by Hunt it »

It's been tried, no need to try re inventing the wheel. If longer arrows shot better they would have come with your bow. Bill designed the Excalibur based on accuracy as he was a big target shooter back in his days. Play if you wish but you will not find anything new I'm afraid.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hunt it wrote:It's been tried, no need to try re inventing the wheel. If longer arrows shot better they would have come with your bow. Bill designed the Excalibur based on accuracy as he was a big target shooter back in his days. Play if you wish but you will not find anything new I'm afraid.
Not looking to reinvent the wheel, asking a legitimate question. Not saying this is an archery epiphany, just thought I'd save myself some time if it's been done with no apparent benefit or maybe there was a benefit but nobody liked the arrow sticking out past the rail.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Hi Paul,
I shoot 20" and like them for hunting . I don't care how fast they shoot but how accurate they are. have shot them out to 40yds. only with good results . just as good as 18' if not better for me . sorry I can't say for 80yds. :)
W.M.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I don,t have a matrix line but others like nox an down to 10 inch stroke bow an have shot many shots out to 80 yds.shooting 22-12 inch arrows an from my shooting short arrows are fine for most deer ranges .but lots more crudical the shorter they are an less forgiving. I can see in flight the shorter arrows wobble a little in flight if you don,t have a perfect launch compared to longer ones.for long range accuracy even in my 10 inch stroker it,s 20 inches for my best accuracy with fletching or without. Give me a 20 inch black eagle ,92 or110 brass insert in all my bows an no need for any other JMO
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

paulaboutform wrote:I've been reading some threads about shorter arrows recently. Has anyone tried longer arrows? I'm thinking 20"-22" from my M380. My theory is that at LOOONGER range the longer arrows would be more stable and I'm guessing would penetrate better. I realize they may stick out beyond the stirrup but I'm not concerned with that at this point. Has anyone tried super long range with longer arrows? Say 80yards +.
Longer arrows are closer to the target! :lol: :lol: i.e. a 720 " arrow at 20 yrds = bullseye every shot! :mrgreen:
galamb

Post by galamb »

I disagree as to why they don't package the offerings with longer arrows, but that's not the question.

I have tried a lot of things - I get bored easy and have a fair bit of time :lol:

I got a 6 pack of 22" Gold Tip Laser II's (I normally shoot the 20" in my Vix II) for next to nothing (bargain table at local archery shop) "just to see".

So they added 2" and 14'ish grains to my normal set-up and shot them at my 25 yard target.

Noticed "no" difference.

Grouped so close to "typical" that it would fall into any margin of error stats you would keep.

Didn't penetrate any deeper that I could detect (but to be fair, only talking 14.6 grains on an arrow that already has a ridiculously high FOC with a 100 grain head - not even 4% heavier than my normal combo but reduced the FOC because that "extra" 14 grains was "back near the nock").

(side note - never thought to add 10 or 20 grains to the front insert to bring the FOC back up past 22% where I like to shoot - that may have resulted in a measurable difference in penetration - have to wait until spring to try that)

And they did hang over the rail - no big deal, and actually would be a benefit if shooting NAP Bloodrunner II's which momentarily deploy on firing - this gets them past the stirrup so you won't get a deflection if the blade drags (launched a couple into outerspace before I realized what was happening with 20" bolts)

I "think", even if I went with a really heavy shaft 10/11 grains per inch, while it may increase the slug force/momentum "a little" I don't think it would be sufficient enough to cause me to change all my bolts.

Now, if I was replacing my bolts (for whatever reason) and my go to supplier (Lancaster) has some super deal on 22" bolts I wouldn't hesitate to kit out that way.

There might be more of a measurable difference if you say went from 18" to 22" but think you could achieve the same results, at least penetration wise, by adding 10 or 20 grain inserts at either end of the shaft.

I also suspect that the shorter arrow, with extreme FOC would be somewhat less effected by crosswinds than a longer arrow which would likewise "often" require longer fletching to achieve full stabilization.

Sorry, kinda thinking out loud a little, but I do horse around a lot "just to see what changes/happens if"...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

I shoot 20" Black Eagle Zombie Slayers out of my Matrix 355 ... dead accurate and still very fast. I like them, but to each his own.
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I had great success with 22 inch w/ brass inserts with blazers on them out of a phoenix

Try them you will like them
Tenpoint Matrix