OFAH

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

buckmark

OFAH

Post by buckmark »

Today I received a letter form "The Onartio Federation Of Anglers and Hunters" asking me to join there membership. I used to be a member but got very tired of recieving mail every other week looking for money in one form or another. I work hard to make end meet and love the idea of supporting any pro hunting/ fishing group but I don't want to be hounded to donate, I have to look after my family first. I guess my question is who are members out there and what are your thoughts of this club. I'm considering menbership again but I just not sure what to do.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me."
Spring

Post by Spring »

Buckmark.

I'm a member and have been for years. My thoughts are twofold.

First. Any group that promotes hunting and fishing, and at the same time counters the antis is OK in my book. Any group that has sufficient membership to have sway with our political masters, (and in Canada we are subservient to our politicians, make no mistake about that) should be supported by all who enjoy the outdoors.

That said, my second thought is that OFAH is way too top heavy in terms of folks who use our hard earned dollars to wine, dine, and look after themselves. Yes they do good work. And yes alot of it is thankless. And yes they are stepping in to do a job that others are either too busy or not inclined to do. But from what I see, I'd be happier if less money was spent on administration and overhead. Not all of us have deep pockets.

I'll continue to support them. I'll also continue to be critical with what they do with the money I send them. Care to join me?

Cheers!
stump

Post by stump »

Well written Spring, my sentiments exactly.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I have been a member for about 6 years.

I truely appreciate the work that they do, and I know most of the work is done by volunteers. I don't know if they are "top heavey", but I will still continue to support them.

The Junk mail is not an issue for me. Have you called them to ask to not receive it? I would not be surprised if they can remove you from that list. It would save them money.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Well said Spring :wink:

I have been a member for years, I am of the opinon that if you are going to use the outdoors for hunting & fishing in Ontario, then you should support the OFAH bt being a member... . Junk mail has not been a problem for me in the past,, but you never know what the furure holds :)
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I am a member. Have been for quite some time. I think they have done a fine job on many issues relating to the outdoors and the preservation of our heritage. Plus they have helped with the reintroduction of turkey and now elk. They may also be helping with the introduction of Nebraska? pheasants to help build a population that can thrive in our province. They also educate, which is probably the most important of all.

Do they spend too much on wining and dining, I really don't know. They only ask for donations when they send out the calander. Other than that the only other times they ask for anything is member renewalship and their annual lottery. As these are donations it is up to you to decide whether or not to write a check.

One for sure bonus is getting Ontario Out Of Doors, a fine magazine dedicated to our province.
Spring

Post by Spring »

Chris 4570

You make some good points with regard to how OFAH fundraises. In terms of calendars and lotteries its strictly voluntary.

No one can deny OFAH does good work. It is fair to say that without OFAH there would not have been a turkey re-introduction program for example. All of that says they should be supported. So I do.

As an aside I can see the day not too far away where turkeys actually become a nuisance in eastern Ontario. In fact I've been told its already started in the Spencerville area.

While the turkey and elk re-introductions to date have been a real success story I hope that through these re-introductions we don't end up in a situation where a good idea turns out to have been a bad idea.

I think we're a long way from that overall, but I think that when we're talking turkeys, elk, pheasants, and who knows what else, what is possible might not be what is prudent.

If the re-introductions have public support and approval everybody wins. Should cars start colliding with elk the way they do moose and deer, and people start getting angry, OFAH may be in abit of a predicament.

Film at 11.

Cheers!
jeff

Post by jeff »

Speaking as a person who spent a short time working for the OFAH back in 1999 I can assure everyone that the organization is definintely far from top-heavy. If anything it's at the other end of the spectrum. There is a small core group of professional. These are the technicians, technologist and biologist etc with various educational backgrounds. The rest of the OFAH is made up of operational and clerical staff. Nothing came for free. I can't speak for everyone there but pay was minimal and only based on a 35 hr week. Most of the staff, if not all, far exceded these hours and any extra time was on the employees part becaused they loved what they did. We even had to pay for your own OFAH memberships which was mandatory to work with them.
Yes they do send out newletters and such to collect money for their various projects but any money forwarded in on a voluntary basis. If you want to join but don't have the money to give above and beyond the membership fees that's fine. Your not treated any different by the organization. It only make the organizations stronger when more members join.
I've been a member since working with them back in 1999 and would not every think of cancelling it. It's organizations like the OFAH, Ducks Unlimited, The Rockey Mountain Elf Foundation, National Wild Turkey Federation etc that we have to thank for the game we put on your tables every year.

later

jeff
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

I am a long standing member, and I think anyone who loves the outdoors for any reason should be a member. They do excellent work.

Just my view
enjoy the woods
Doug
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I am also a member. They fight for our right dude. I'm scared to think what would happen to hunters, fishermen or nature lovers in general if someone like them wasn't around to provide a loud voice.

Yes, the magazines do rock. Lots of stuff about the outdoors, in just Ontario. (No offense to anywhere else, of course) :)

I think you should join, I get donation requests twice a year or so, but nothings obligated.

Jay

Post by Guest »

Hey guys & gals,

My being an OFAH member has SAVED me lotsa money.
It started many years ago when my insurance SPAM! decided they were going to charge me an 'arm n leg' to insure my ATV.

I contacted OFAH and they put me in-touch with their insurance SPAM!, Anglers & Hunters Insurance Brokers.

The insurance SPAM! not only provided me a quote, their insurance policy included liability insurance which is unheard of for ATV's.

Anywho 8 years later, that same ATV plus my SUV, wife's SUV, Boat and Home are all insured by the same OFAH insurance SPAM!.
I figure i'm saving about 400.00 a year with full liability on the ATV/Boat and over 8 years, that's a $ 3200.00 savings.

So, i don't mind their mailers and slipping a donation every once in a while