Twisted limb ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Twisted limb ???

Post by SEW »

On my M380, the string seems centered on the left limb (uncocked, at brace height) but on the right limb it seems to be 40/60 above and below the limb.
I think I may change strings to see if changes occur; however, I'm in the middle of varmint hunting and don't want to rock the boat any. 405 riser is at agingcrossboyer's :D so, I'm down to 1 xbow.
Thoughts?
cjonesth

Re: Twisted limb ???

Post by cjonesth »

SEW wrote:On my M380, the string seems centered on the left limb (uncocked, at brace height) but on the right limb it seems to be 40/60 above and below the limb.
I think I may change strings to see if changes occur; however, I'm in the middle of varmint hunting and don't want to rock the boat any. 405 riser is at agingcrossboyer's :D so, I'm down to 1 xbow.
Thoughts?
You can try flipping the string 180 to see if it follows?
Matrix 405, Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie arrows, NAP FOC
Bulldog 400 Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie Arrows
Bulldog 330 Hawke Pro SR IR, Zombie Arrows
Matrix 355, Twilight DLX, Zombie Arrows
Micro Max Nightmare, Hawke XB30 Pro, TTT, Zombie arrows,
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Does everything look straight when looking at the limbs from the stirrup end--- do the limbs appear to be set evenly in the 'pockets' on the front of the riser and is the spacing the same between the metal stop bars (I forget the technical name for them) on both limbs? I don't know how much room for error there is but my first thought was maybe one limb is set a hair crooked. On my 380 the string looks to be centered about 60 above/40 below on both limbs, which I guess creates the downforce to keep the string against the rail.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
GGC

Post by GGC »

Sew, I would rock the boat a little. Pull the string and check the limb tips, some have gotten loose, cracked and flew off limbs. Look at the groove where the string sits, are both the same? Also check limb bolts and those metal things, they are just called limb straps. There is enough room and the limbs can be set differently. You can lube, wax the string loops and see if they show the same wear.
Don't be afraid to change a string. If they weigh about the same, 10-15 grains + or - and the brace is the same, you will shoot the same. If your arrows chrony the same you will not see a difference either. At least not enough to stop hunting.
That's not to say, a limb may have an issue.
Take a look at the riser and rail and make sure the two are even and square.
Check the bolts here also.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Steve, remove your limbs and place them belly (forward face) down. That will tell you if it is twisted. Twisted limbs are rare.
I've had that before and I just removed and reinstalled the limbs and all was good.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SEW

Post by SEW »

Problem has been resolved. :D
GGC

Post by GGC »

So Sew
What was it? The solution that is.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Removed string, loosened the 2 bolts on the front of each limb, re tightened . I had previously checked the tightness of each bolt, looked at the rear(shooters side) of the limb as it goes against the riser(or as close as I could see), and all looked good. Of course, there is the slight upward stress on the string as it rides on the riser. However, the slight unequalness should be the same on both sides. I just love my Excal xbows!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Swamp Donky wrote:Most excellent!!! Who'd have thunk it...
Boo wrote:Steve, remove your limbs and place them belly (forward face) down. That will tell you if it is twisted. Twisted limbs are rare.
I've had that before and I just removed and reinstalled the limbs and all was good.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Swamp Donky wrote:No argument on the limbs shifting in the pockets. What if sew had a hairline cracked limb between the limb bolt hole and the recoil plates? This condition could cause the limbs to twist @ pre-load and would be very hard to see while @ rest belly forward, face down, IMO... :idea:
Perhaps you should reread what I posted with less hate in your mind Gus.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Swamp Donky wrote:Hate is a strong word, Don! Sew started this thread to get some info and failed to share the solution with the good folks of the E/C/F after he found a fix... I just find this odd?
Hate is how you feel Gus, judging from your post at Crossbow Predators about me. Just to let you know, the feeling is not mutual. I would help you at a drop of a hat if needed.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Swamp Donky wrote:I don't hate you, Don! And this is not the C/N, C/P or C/T. :wink:
Sorry Gus, I'm going by what you posted at Crossbow Predators and your PMs that said GFY and other things. I suppose everyone can change :wink: Anyhow, I'm going to leave this one alone.
Peace
Boo

Post by Boo »

Swamp Donky wrote:Yup! Robert's a drunk, Raymond's a pot head, Mike makes sheety strings, Derrick's a snake in the grass, Dan's a turd and I am a liar... Did I miss anything, bro... :oops:
Gus, please. I apologize for getting you upset.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

:roll: UNBELIEVABLE! :? ....Sew, I'm very glad your problem was resolved. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

paulaboutform wrote::roll: UNBELIEVABLE! :? ....Sew, I'm very glad your problem was resolved. :wink:
Thank you. I had thought I'd posted the problem/fix but lost Internet connection and lost the post. So I'm posting it now. I had 1 limb bolt not release do I couldn't take both limbs off, but did one and was able to wiggle the other. Tightened it all back down and it seems even now. There is the enevitable slight string tension upward from the rail, bilateral, which is to be expected.
Previously, I'd quickly posted that it was fixed and had to see an emergency patient so didn't have time to go into detail.
Thanks to all. Stay cool. Don't get concerned with the little things. Most things are just little things.