What helped you harvest a deer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

Re: What helped you harvest a deer?

Post by Carnivorous »

RexKay wrote:This a question for Jeff for sure since he shot enough animals to fill Noahs Ark!

actually the mature doe I got October 5th was an intense stare down. I did not flinch for 10 minutes as she had 2 younngins in. Not making eye contact. .and not moving for all that time she make a split second head turn and I made my move quick...that was one of the toughest kills I made on a big alert nanny.
Thanks Rex!

2014 was a banner year for sure.

Thinking back here are a few things that come to mind that helped harvest some great animals and great memories.

Matrix 355
NAP FOC HEADS
Zombie arrows made by big JOHN
My boo string

And most important of all some great friends to hunt with and share the good times with! :)

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Blind luck . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
gregs

Post by gregs »

Putting in a lot of time in my Lone Wolf.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Hunting land with lots of deer on it.
20' tall ladder stands.
My 355 with BE arrows and Rocket Hammerheads.
Lots of practice to fine tune bow.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I'm with Griz. Patience. Got a nice buck and two doe this year with my 355. Didn't get my Micro until after the season. Good fawn crops the past three years helped us a lot in the Texas Hill Country. Horns were good too this year. No drought this year or the last. Getting excited already about next year. We saw a butt load of young bucks this year. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
Jerod B.

Post by Jerod B. »

Doe Master wrote:Blind luck . :lol:
That is typically me just seeing deer.

English language hath not the word or phrase for me actually getting a deer within bow range. :mrgreen:

Post by newbie »

I was unsuccessful this year. I can for certain say that tailgates dont help one bit in harvesting a deer. :mrgreen:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

newbie wrote:I was unsuccessful this year. I can for certain say that tailgates dont help one bit in harvesting a deer. :mrgreen:
The idea is to lose the bow after the hunt, not before.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Pydpiper wrote:
newbie wrote:I was unsuccessful this year. I can for certain say that tailgates dont help one bit in harvesting a deer. :mrgreen:
Man, he sure takes all the ribbin' well.
munch

Post by munch »

don not so much equipment this year it was more persistence for me . i shot 1 little buck this year and sat a couple hundred hours easy . i was able to set up 2 buddys in a couple of my stands who both shot bigger deer . also arron in another one of my stands shot low on a 6 point
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook

Post by newbie »

Pydpiper wrote:
It was after an unsuccessful hunt not before.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Although I haven't taken anything, I called in four bucks on November 6th using the Black Rack, and my normal snort wheezing and grunting. The largest was about 135 or so and came in to 18 yards, then stopped broadside and looked around for a good 25-30 seconds. It was a "Gimme" shot with my 380, but having seen a much larger buck a few hours before and many MUCH larger in there over the years, I didn't pick up my bow. In hindsight, probably a mistake, but who knows???

Can't say for sure whether the Black Rack works any better at pulling them in than real antlers, but they are much easier to stow/pack and use than the real thing.
Boo

Post by Boo »

racking up points wrote:big bucks battle almost daily and when they do, it's way louder than what I was able to mimic with rattle bags.
It is amazing just how loud the buck get when they spar or just laying a beating on a tree. The first time I heard 2 bucks going at it, they were out of sight but within 150 yards and it was some loud! :shock: Rattling also brings does and fawns out!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

On that note: Way back in the late 90's when I was pretty green and hunting on the ground, i had gone out to my local public land in Late October and walked into a nice white oak grove that dipped into a creek bottom, evening hunt. When legal quitting time came I was packing up my stool to leave when all hell broke lose down in the bottom! It sounded EXACTLY like two big men hitting baseball bats together as hard as they could. :?: :?

It was surreal for a few seconds because I KNEW that was impossbile. Then, I honestly got goose bumps and that hair raising feeling when I realized just what caliber of bucks it would take to make that sound!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I figured that they were about 150 yards in there through the thick cover on the other side of the creek, because I couldn't hear any leaves thrashing or even the typical fast "rattling" sound, just the smacking of their antlers when they REALY hit hard. Some thrill buddy, let me tell you! :D
Last edited by Lake shooter on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Pretty sure I smell like a doe in heat.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend