What helped you harvest a deer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

galamb

Re: What helped you harvest a deer?

Post by galamb »

Fourth year in a row that I have used scent sticks (the ones you burn) and the fourth year that Bambi has come right into the source of the smoke.

This year and four years ago it was Estrous scent and the two years in between it was a curiosity (all season) scent stick.

Now, may not have been the reason (because I also bait with grain and pellets) but it certainly didn't scare them away and this years buck was absolutely scenting his way in right to the smoke stick when I popped him.

The sticks I use are by Deer Quest who also licences the formula to Tink's which is more prolifically available.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Getting back to basics > Keeping at it > Trying a new location ... I have to admit I am not as scent conscious as I use to be so making sure the wind is good for my set up is priority .... But I think # 1 is just getting out there. Our areas had limited opportunities this season but couldn't arrow a deer from the couch! :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Well i got my new 405 and i love it. But trying the FOC has been amazing shot out of the 405. Dead deer fast! It's an awesome combo. So for me the 405 combined with the FOC. Simply perfect :D
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Cuban cigars and 16 year old Lagavulin.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
tomasw1

Post by tomasw1 »

I did research and purchased an industrial strength ozone generator. Every evening after a hunt, I put my clothes and gear in my foyer and ran the generator for 30 min. Then before the hunt I would do the same thing. Every time I followed the process, I saw deer. Not once did I get busted. I had deer follow my trail in to the stand 15 min after me. No other cover scents. It could be a coincidence, but I will do it from now on.
Matrix 380 Xtra
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have been using an ozone generator for treating my clothing

Doe bleat helped me twice
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
SEW

Post by SEW »

Talltines wrote:Well i got my new 405 and i love it. But trying the FOC has been amazing shot out of the 405. Dead deer fast! It's an awesome combo. So for me the 405 combined with the FOC. Simply perfect :D
This is how I feel also.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Talltines wrote:Well i got my new 405 and i love it. But trying the FOC has been amazing shot out of the 405. Dead deer fast! It's an awesome combo. So for me the 405 combined with the FOC. Simply perfect :D
This is how I feel also.