When to Buy a New Bow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deerstalker

Re: When to Buy a New Bow?

Post by Deerstalker »

I got an Equinox in 2012 and before I trade it in or get another newer CB I will have to get an answer to these questions.

1. Will the new CB kill a deer better, faster?
2. Will it be more accurate than my current CB?
3. Will it be more reliable than the Equinox?
4. Will it be easier to maintain?

I consider my Equinox to be like my WIN M70 which was introduced in 1936 and still one of the best rifles ever made. I expect the Equinox to last me for many years & I will be 76 on the next BD. I am still able to cock & decock this CB while in a tree stand and it will shoot an arrow all the way through a deer. You could hunt T-Rex with the beast!
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

amythntr wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Not Nesssarily Anthony.
I am American.
I was refering to the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality businesses take on, not a consumer level observation.

....phew :oops:...and I was about to call Paul! :shock: :mrgreen:

....so are the Jones American or Canadian? :lol:

Anthony :)
C'mon Anthony, just cuz I'm Sicilian doesn't mean bruti cosi, I'm all about the love paisan. :lol: .....especially in the deer woods ....I really love how tasty and delicious! :mrgreen:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

vixenmaster wrote:If yer thinkin they will come out with a 355-360 Micro this yr. Its possible but not likely, that would put the poundage to cock at over 300 lbs. Thats C2 time fer most of us on this Forum
more likely just add about an inch or less of draw length and NOT poundage in the limbs
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
coli

Post by coli »

Even though I just bought a 380, I gave into the micro. Which I heard so much about on this forum. And I don't regret buying it at all. Even though I don't need 2 crossbows they sure are sweet. Technology always gets better and more advanced. I dont think there is ever a way to stay ahead of it, even if I wanted to or could afford to.
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Talltines wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:If yer thinkin they will come out with a 355-360 Micro this yr. Its possible but not likely, that would put the poundage to cock at over 300 lbs. Thats C2 time fer most of us on this Forum
more likely just add about an inch or less of draw length and NOT poundage in the limbs
Increasing length of power stroke will cause draw weight to increase........that is what VM is explaining. I can envision a lower draw weight Micro......not a higher draw weight version.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Thanks for the wide variety of responses.

I've had my Exomax for around 8 years so I am definitely not someone who needs to have the newest and best thing out there just for bragging rights. If I were I would have a 405 already.

I like to get the best bang for my buck and resale is one important factor to consider. Since the huge increase in new bows being released the older models have dropped significantly in value over the past year where in past years they kept a high resale value for a few years. If I buy a Micro now and Excalibur releases another one or two improved Micro's in a short time the value of the current Micro's will plummet.

Performance is important to me and I never downgrade any of my toys. I do a lot of stalking in thick cover so the Micro would be nice, but I just can't bring myself to downgrade in the speed department. With so many new models being released I don't know if the Micro will remain the same for a while or if a newer and faster one will be released soon. I'd hate to force myself to buy a slower Micro just to see one in the 350 fps+ range released a month later.

I'm also concerned about quality going down the tubes as the company grows and thing's gradually change. This has me thinking I should hurry up and buy a new model before quality starts to decline. Get one while they're good type thing...
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ch312 wrote:Thanks for the wide variety of responses.

I've had my Exomax for around 8 years so I am definitely not someone who needs to have the newest and best thing out there just for bragging rights. If I were I would have a 405 already.

I like to get the best bang for my buck and resale is one important factor to consider. Since the huge increase in new bows being released the older models have dropped significantly in value over the past year where in past years they kept a high resale value for a few years. If I buy a Micro now and Excalibur releases another one or two improved Micro's in a short time the value of the current Micro's will plummet.

Performance is important to me and I never downgrade any of my toys. I do a lot of stalking in thick cover so the Micro would be nice, but I just can't bring myself to downgrade in the speed department. With so many new models being released I don't know if the Micro will remain the same for a while or if a newer and faster one will be released soon. I'd hate to force myself to buy a slower Micro just to see one in the 350 fps+ range released a month later.

I'm also concerned about quality going down the tubes as the company grows and thing's gradually change. This has me thinking I should hurry up and buy a new model before quality starts to decline. Get one while they're good type thing...
The Micro 335 is a fine model & is much smaller than the Emax. The Matrix 355 & 380 are also small n carry lots power n speed!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:
amythntr wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Not Nesssarily Anthony.
I am American.
I was refering to the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality businesses take on, not a consumer level observation.

....phew :oops:...and I was about to call Paul! :shock: :mrgreen:

....so are the Jones American or Canadian? :lol:

C'mon Anthony, just cuz I'm Sicilian doesn't mean bruti cosi, I'm all about the love paisan. :lol: .....especially in the deer woods ....I really love how tasty and delicious! :mrgreen:

:shock: :shock: :shock: I will have to report back to "La Cosa Nostra" :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

My reply to the original question is quite simple. The answer is...."when the wife ain't looking." Same goes for a new gun, a rod or reel, or a neat Tool I ain't got.
Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Deerstalker wrote:I got an Equinox in 2012 and before I trade it in or get another newer CB I will have to get an answer to these questions.

1. Will the new CB kill a deer better, faster?
2. Will it be more accurate than my current CB?
3. Will it be more reliable than the Equinox?
4. Will it be easier to maintain?

I consider my Equinox to be like my WIN M70 which was introduced in 1936 and still one of the best rifles ever made. I expect the Equinox to last me for many years & I will be 76 on the next BD. I am still able to cock & decock this CB while in a tree stand and it will shoot an arrow all the way through a deer. You could hunt T-Rex with the beast!
I'm w/ you bud! :mrgreen: Had an Emax, settled on an Ecet [Y-25] Happy Happy Happy..........
"Eze 18:21"