Why does the stiff "side" of a bolt prefer up??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jerod B.

Why does the stiff "side" of a bolt prefer up??

Post by Jerod B. »

Just got my shafts from Jerry at South Shore. They have a dot to index the stiff "side" that goes in between the hen vanes, and subsequently up when loading.

On a compound bow, I had a spine tester, and we used it so we could put the stiff "side" down, to contact the rest.

Just wondering why a bolt prefers to be up. Is it that arrow retainer thingee pushing down against it???
Boo

Re: Why does the stiff "side" of a bolt prefer up??

Post by Boo »

In theory, when the arrow is shot with the stiff sided up. The shaft will flex up, leaving the ends in contact with the mainframe. If shot with the stiff side down, the shaft is in contact with the center of the shaft only. Obviously you want the former condition.
With todays BEA, being so stiff and straight, this is pretty much a non issue for hunting purposes. If it were an issue there would be other things at play. However, if one uses crappy shafts, then maybe indexing would be helpful. But they would have to be spine matched and secondary spines would have to considered.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SEW

Post by SEW »

Thanks, Don. Great, reasonable answer. Your thoughts on indexing 18" Zombies : for 380/405 (with 196g total point wt)? Seems to me to possibly not be needed at all.
Boo

Post by Boo »

SEW wrote:Thanks, Don. Great, reasonable answer. Your thoughts on indexing 18" Zombies : for 380/405 (with 196g total point wt)? Seems to me to possibly not be needed at all.
Zombies are 25% stiffer than the Executioners. They are 225 and 300 respectively. I don't want to be responsible for feeding some OCD types but here goes.
To get the most out of arrow shafts you would have to sort a whack of shafts for spine, deflection and location of maximum deflection. Then eliminate shafts with multiple deflection (good luck) or have shafts with minimal secondary spines. Then measure the shafts to locate the area of deflection and orient that area up when located on the mainframe so that the end of the shaft have more contact with the arrow channel.
I think that last part of orienting the shaft is the all important thing to do. There are a few reasons for that. One is the obvious of having a more stable launch (if the arrow sits with most of the contact in the middle of the shaft, the arrow can wobble. Second, IF the shaft flexes, it will cause the bend in the shaft to get worse only.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Ok there is a pic that Jerry at SSA has posted. Might help explain things.
First of all when the arrow is shot it changes and the stiff side is not just a side it is a plane that runs all the way through the shaft . The arrow when shot is going to bent at the neutral plane . If your shooting a recuve or long bow putting the stiff side parallel to the riser is the way to go because the bend of the shaft can help the arrow get around the riser.
With a crossbow when the shaft sets on a rail the rail adds support to the shaft and so the arrow should flex left and right to the rail. It really does not matter if the marked side of the shaft is up or down just so all the arrows are fletched the same.

ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Boo wrote:
SEW wrote:Thanks, Don. Great, reasonable answer. Your thoughts on indexing 18" Zombies : for 380/405 (with 196g total point wt)? Seems to me to possibly not be needed at all.
Zombies are 25% stiffer than the Executioners. They are 225 and 300 respectively. I don't want to be responsible for feeding some OCD types but here goes. To get the most out of arrow shafts you would have to sort a whack of shafts for spine, deflection and location of maximum deflection. Then eliminate shafts with multiple deflection (good luck) or have shafts with minimal secondary spines. Then measure the shafts to locate the area of deflection and orient that area up when located on the mainframe so that the end of the shaft have more contact with the arrow channel.
I think that last part of orienting the shaft is the all important thing to do. There are a few reasons for that. One is the obvious of having a more stable launch (if the arrow sits with most of the contact in the middle of the shaft, the arrow can wobble. Second, IF the shaft flexes, it will cause the bend in the shaft to get worse only.
Too late...
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Boo

Post by Boo »

ehntr wrote:Too late...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

ehntr wrote:
Boo wrote:
Zombies are 25% stiffer than the Executioners. They are 225 and 300 respectively. I don't want to be responsible for feeding some OCD types but here goes. To get the most out of arrow shafts you would have to sort a whack of shafts for spine, deflection and location of maximum deflection. Then eliminate shafts with multiple deflection (good luck) or have shafts with minimal secondary spines. Then measure the shafts to locate the area of deflection and orient that area up when located on the mainframe so that the end of the shaft have more contact with the arrow channel.
Too late...
Are you talkin to ME <in my bad Robert De Niro voice> :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I prefer to call it CDO because then it's in alphabetical order :D
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Jerod B.

Post by Jerod B. »

Thanks Boo et al.

I had them sorted to I think .005 deflection.

Maybe a little over board for hunting applications, however, just right for a piece of mind. :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

Jerod B. wrote:Maybe a little over board for hunting applications, however, just right for a piece of mind. :D
LOL! We have another one! LOL! John, Keith, Paul, take him away! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by newbie »

Me on theses zombies i fletch the cock vane (if i use one gone to solid colors) at the zombies eye. I find he can then use the vane as a sight and are much more accurate :mrgreen:
I dont bother indexing tge zombies especially below 18"
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Mike, (Newbie) I too have quit doing that some time ago, and have noticed no change in my accuracy, especially with Zombies.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Always

Post by Always »

Ok Ok Ok I get static spine and dynamic spine up and down what does " OCD "
I hate acronyms
..........how can a guy learn with you bunch of intellectuals :mrgreen:

A
Always Late
Jerod B.

Post by Jerod B. »

Always wrote:Ok Ok Ok I get static spine and dynamic spine up and down what does " OCD "
I hate acronyms
..........how can a guy learn with you bunch of intellectuals :mrgreen:

A
hint- the D stands for Disorder :mrgreen: