Arrow drop question.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Arrow drop question.

Post by learn2flyfish »

Say hypothetically, that your crossbow is shooting 300 fps with your bolt of choice.

How much drop is built into these reticles?

I understand that the he space between the aim points increases when the power is changed but I'm interested in the minimum and maximum.

Thanks,

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
awshucks

Re: Arrow drop question.

Post by awshucks »

Would depend on the weight of the arrow.........Best bet, just shoot yours and see..... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Way too many variables at play here to give a max and a min.

Here's what I would do. With a 20y zero, and a really tall target, or a few of them stacked up, shoot two arrows at 20, then move to 30y and shoot at the 20y grouping with the 20y x-hair. Record how far off you are from the original 20y impact. Keep doing this, increasing your distance by 10y each time.

This will tell you how much elevation is built into your scope at the magnification, (speed), you're using.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Ok here's what I found. This Vortex has 50 moa at 10x

The Redfield is similar.

I was just trying to understand if I could adapt a current bdc reticle scope I was using on a rifle but all I could get out of it at its lowest magnification is 38.5 MOA and that's at 2x.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I thought for some goofy reason you were talking about a non adj Drop zone scope.

I'm shooting dimes from 20 - 40 yds, 400 gr arrows w/ setting on 3x on my Leupold 2X7x VxII if it will help you any.

Danny Miller had the reticules installed on it and gave the company [not Leupold] the sizes he wanted, fwiw. The name of the company was 'Premier' but they closed down.

Best scope I've ever shot for repeatability..........
"Eze 18:21"
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

awshucks wrote:I thought for some goofy reason you were talking about a non adj Drop zone scope.

I'm shooting dimes from 20 - 40 yds, 400 gr arrows w/ setting on 3x on my Leupold 2X7x VxII if it will help you any.

Danny Miller had the reticules installed on it and gave the company [not Leupold] the sizes he wanted, fwiw. The name of the company was 'Premier' but they closed down.

Best scope I've ever shot for repeatability..........
Which Leupold? A standard VX-II with a rifle reticle?
galamb

Post by galamb »

If you read the rather convoluted instructions on the Redfield you will find that those (settings) are only a loose reference.

They suggest you zero your scope at 20 yards (center cross hairs) and then shoot it at a 60 yard target that is large enough that if you aim at a sport near the top with your 20 yard crosshair, the arrow will stay on the paper.

Then back at your shooting bench you put your 20 yard cross hairs on the "point of aim" and then turn your magnification until the 60 yard hash mark intersects with the arrows in the target. So in effect you have "customized" the scope to your speed/weight/trajectory.

So on the 3-9X scope, for your particular set-up that may be 7X (or whatever).

It is there where you leave the scope and all the other hash marks (for 30, 40 etc) should be "pretty close". And then you "leave it alone". If you touch the zoom you will wipe out your set ranges.

Now, I have the Redfield "rifle version" (Revenge 3-9x42 Accu-Range) on one of my rifles. But if I put it on my crossbow and "sighted it" the same way I don't see why it wouldn't work.

That 38.5 MOA you reference is assuming you are shooting out at 600 yards with a muzzle velocity up near 3K - all that goes out the window when you are shooting 300 fps @ 60 yards. Forget what the manual says that hash mark is at and follow the cross bow instructions for sighting from Leuopold/Redfield.

(if that's your question)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

galamb wrote:

That 38.5 MOA you reference is assuming you are shooting out at 600 yards with a muzzle velocity up near 3K - all that goes out the window when you are shooting 300 fps @ 60 yards. Forget what the manual says that hash mark is at and follow the cross bow instructions for sighting from Leuopold/Redfield.

(if that's your question)
Yeah, I think they will work. My Vortex Viper 2-7x32 Rifle scope has a BDC reticle that has marks at 1.5, 4.5, 7.5 and 11 moa at 7x. At 2x they will be 5.25, 15.75, 26.25 and 38.5 MOA. With a 20 yard zero, the first hash will be between 25 and 30 yards, the second hash at about 35 yards, then about 45 yards and 55 yards. I'd have to shoot to confirm but I'm just looking for a ballpark. I may be able to bump the power up a bit. But I think it's close enough to give it a try.

The only other problem I see is the 100 yard parallax on rifle scope. Most are easily adjusted though.

I'll let everyone know how it comes out.

Paul