leupold vxr 3 to 9 by 40

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

leupold vxr 3 to 9 by 40

Post by dutchhunter »

hey folks I went to are local dealer all set to buy this scope .but when I got it in my hands It did not live up to what I had n my mind. my problem was with the on off switch ,it did not have a positive feel to it at all .I felt really let down .anyway I did not buy it today .To all the guys that have the scope how do you find this switch over all ,was I just expecting to much for a scope that cost more the 500$ .any other scope I should be looking at .really need some help here ,thanks Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
paulaboutform

Re: leupold vxr 3 to 9 by 40

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Dutch, I've had the Leupold VX-R with the ballistic firedot reticle for over a year now and absolutely love it. Yes, you have to hold the button down for five seconds to turn it off but it hasn't been an issue for me at all. Also, if you forget to turn it off it automatically shuts off after five minutes of no movement but comes back on as soon as there is movement. This is a great feature when you're in a stand or blind and have your bow hanging or leaning in the blind....and you can make the firedot brighter or dimmer by pressing and releasing the button. I've really had no issues at all and really love the scope. Maybe Normous or Racking Up Points will chime in. They've got the 2-7×33 in the same scope. If you end up getting it, or any Leupold, I highly recommend buying the alumicap scope covers. They're ridiculously expensive but once you have them on you'll forget the stupid amount of money they cost and will never look back. Good luck.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
galamb

Post by galamb »

dutchhunter wrote:was I just expecting to much for a scope that cost more the 500$ .any other scope I should be looking at .really need some help here ,thanks Dutch
You are looking at a scope that is made in the US. That adds a ton of labour costs to the pricetag.

Leupold also owns Redfield which they have assembled in the Philippines (along with most of the offerings from Nikon nowadays as well). That results in a scope with similar features, glass etc for close to half the price.

I use a red dot on my crossbow but have quite a few scoped rifles and I am absolutely not brand loyal when it comes to my riflescopes.

Pick something you like, feels right and will serve your needs. I look at it like this. If the MFG ships all the components over to China or the Philippines to have the thing put together because the worker there will do it for 200 bucks a month and that means I get what I want to a price I'm willing to pay, then I'm happy.

I don't mind paying a little premium for domestically made, but if the price is double I expect significantly more quality and it absolutely better "fit my need" exactly.

Bushnell makes a whole line of lighted reticles (a few reticle options) that may suit your ergonomic requirements better - worth a look - even if they are somewhat "cheaper" in price.

I never buy what "everyone else" says is the thing to have - maybe I'm just "anti-social" :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have two firedots in 1.5-4x and I love them. To me, the Firedot is not the downside, it's the upside. It may not have a dial that clicks, but that is purpose driven, it saves weight.

Maybe the one you handled had a weak battery or something because there should be issue with the on-off and brightness adjustment.

Re: Redfield, they are not basically the same scope. They weigh more. Compare a crossbones in 2-7x and a redfield revenge in 2-7x and you'll see what I mean. It's only a few ounces, but I understand that the extra weight is due to the use of lesser quality, heavier glass; that's how it was explained to me by a Leupold rep. It's like saying a Honda and an Acura are the same because they have the same parent company.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

thanks guys I made a offer for a vxr 3to 9 by 40 on a nother fourm so we will see ,Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Boo

Post by Boo »

Considering that the light is an auto off and auto on, I wonder how long the batteries would last if you left it on all the time?
I have the 1.5X4 VXR Hog scope and the 2X7 VXR and I think they are the best scopes I've ever owned.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I have a vxr 2x7 balistic firedot and the crossbones , love them both ! To each his own when it comes to scopes :wink:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
racking up points

Mo wannabe wrote:I have a vxr 2x7 balistic firedot and the crossbones , love them both ! To each his own when it comes to scopes :wink:
Yessir! And not a single one is absolutely perfect, there's a ton of weighing pros and cons, and making of compromises, especially when topping off a crossbow.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

racking up points wrote:I have two firedots in 1.5-4x and I love them. To me, the Firedot is not the downside, it's the upside. It may not have a dial that clicks, but that is purpose driven, it saves weight.

Maybe the one you handled had a weak battery or something because there should be issue with the on-off and brightness adjustment.

Re: Redfield, they are not basically the same scope. They weigh more. Compare a crossbones in 2-7x and a redfield revenge in 2-7x and you'll see what I mean. It's only a few ounces, but I understand that the extra weight is due to the use of lesser quality, heavier glass; that's how it was explained to me by a Leupold rep. It's like saying a Honda and an Acura are the same because they have the same parent company.
The Redfield Rvolution scopes, not the Revenge line, are basically the same as the Leupold Rifleman series. Same size, same weight etc.Pull up the specs, they are identical. Leupold introduced the Revolution series short weeks after aquiring the Redfield name. Not enough time to do R&D on a new line.
racking up points

flightattendant100 wrote:
racking up points wrote:I have two firedots in 1.5-4x and I love them. To me, the Firedot is not the downside, it's the upside. It may not have a dial that clicks, but that is purpose driven, it saves weight.

The Redfield Rvolution scopes, not the Revenge line, are basically the same as the Leupold Rifleman series. Same size, same weight etc.Pull up the specs, they are identical. Leupold introduced the Revolution series short weeks after aquiring the Redfield name. Not enough time to do R&D on a new line.
I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I want to clarify.

Yes, those two, the Redfield revolution and Leupold rifleman have the same specs. But the Rifleman series and the Crossbones are obviously not the same.

If you compare one crossbow scope, (redfield revenge), versus the other, (leupold crossbones), that's where there are bigger differences. Especially in weight, the Redfield is almost 4oz heavier and I was told that difference can largely be accounted for in the glass.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

I have Zeiss Duralyt lighted 2-8 scopes on each of my Matrix(380&405) xbows. I recommended a VXR2-7 for a friend of mine. We've compared the low light abilities of both scopes: Zeiss is marginally better. Zeiss costs more than marginally more (normally). The VXR is a tremendous value for the money. It may well be the best valued scope available.
I have the Zeiss scopes because of the excellent deals I got and because I wanted the ultimate xbow accuracy-wise, range-wise and optically. The Leupold certainly, at normal prices, is very cost effective.
flightattendant100

SEW wrote:I have Zeiss Duralyt lighted 2-8 scopes on each of my Matrix(380&405) xbows. I recommended a VXR2-7 for a friend of mine. We've compared the low light abilities of both scopes: Zeiss is marginally better. Zeiss costs more than marginally more (normally). The VXR is a tremendous value for the money. It may well be the best valued scope available.
I have the Zeiss scopes because of the excellent deals I got and because I wanted the ultimate xbow accuracy-wise, range-wise and optically. The Leupold certainly, at normal prices, is very cost effective.
I've said for years that Leupolds optics beat everybodys until you get into the expensive European scope manufacturers. I am not talking about the european scope companys "American" lines ( Zeiss Conquest, Swaravski AV) but their top of the line scopes that cost two to three times what a Leupold scope cost. I think this just helps prove what a great value a Leupold is.
flightattendant100

racking up points wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote:

I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I want to clarify.

Yes, those two, the Redfield revolution and Leupold rifleman have the same specs. But the Rifleman series and the Crossbones are obviously not the same.

If you compare one crossbow scope, (redfield revenge), versus the other, (leupold crossbones), that's where there are bigger differences. Especially in weight, the Redfield is almost 4oz heavier and I was told that difference can largely be accounted for in the glass.
Was just pointing out what Redfield and what Leupold scopes were the same.

Post by newbie »

galamb wrote: You are looking at a scope that is made in the US. That adds a ton of labour costs to the pricetag.

Leupold also owns Redfield which they have assembled in the Philippines (along with most of the offerings from Nikon nowadays as well). That results in a scope with similar features, glass etc for close to half the price.
Not entirely true, the Revolution line is made and assembled in Oregon. I have a 3x9x40 sitting on a rifle. Unless they changed things since i purchased mine, i bought it when they first released that line.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Dutch, the VX-R model you tried may have had a weak battery which made the Firedot on/off switch finicky. I find only a light touch is required to turn the VX-R on and lightly press to go thru the intensity settings.

The VX-R will go into hibernation (battery saving) after 10 minutes of non movement and turn on again at the slightest and I mean slightest movement.
A full 5 second press will shut the VX-R Firedot off.
Also, if the Firedot flashes your battery is in decline and should be replaced.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family