Turkey Arrow setup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

No One

Turkey Arrow setup

Post by No One »

New to everything, meaning bow , hunting that kind of thing. I want to hunt turkeys so here goes the question.

How long of a bolt do need to shoot a bullhead style broadhead? Will 18" do the trick or do I need longer arrow?
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
ehntr

Re: Turkey Arrow setup

Post by ehntr »

You need to tell us what bow you have. What "bullhead" broadhead are you contemplating? You have to make sure the diameter of the broadhead will clear the riser/stirrup.

MAGNUS BULLHEAD
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I made a prototype step to lower the stirrup to allow clearance for a turkey guillotine broadhead, but haven't been able to find anywhere to hunt turkeys. I have never had the chance to try it in the field, but cocking my Xbow was just as easy as it was prior to installing it.

Here's a link to the thread.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 40#p496040
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
No One

Post by No One »

Dont have bow yet I am buying as soon as my income taxes come back. I am buying the matrix 380 xtra. I am looking to shoot these heads

http://www.amazon.com/Bullhead-Blade-Br ... broadheads
Black Eagle Executioners
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

I believe your going to need a longer arrow.........one long enough to extend that broadhead past the stirrup...........18 inches won't cut it on a 380. I don't have a 380 to measure but somebody will come up with the measurement from the back of the trigger to the end of the stirrup, in order for you to get the right arrow length.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
No One

Post by No One »

ehntr wrote:I believe your going to need a longer arrow.........one long enough to extend that broadhead past the stirrup...........18 inches won't cut it on a 380. I don't have a 380 to measure but somebody will come up with the measurement from the back of the trigger to the end of the stirrup, in order for you to get the right arrow length.

That just it I am in the process of ordering I was hopeing some already knows the length I need.
Black Eagle Executioners
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

I have a 355 and a 20" arrow is about 1/4" shy of clearing the stirrup. The 380 has about 1" more power stroke so you are looking at 21-1/2" to 22" arrow. Maybe someone with a 380 will chime in.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
No One

Post by No One »

way123hockey wrote:I have a 355 and a 20" arrow is about 1/4" shy of clearing the stirrup. The 380 has about 1" more power stroke so you are looking at 21-1/2" to 22" arrow. Maybe someone with a 380 will chime in.

That would be nice.
Black Eagle Executioners
Big D

Post by Big D »

I use 20" 2219 aluminums out of my 330 it clears stirrup no problem. I would consider the 330 if you are hunting turkeys its a smaller bow for a blind and plenty of power for any size animal. This is my six crossbow and third Excalibur and buy far my favorite. Magnus recommends a stiff arrow for these Bullheads. I sighted in the smaller 100grain cut last year and they seemed to fly well.I am going to try the 3"3/4 cut 125 this year to see how they fly. I recommend you build the pillow target to sight in the arrows that Magnus shows on the video. If you are set on the 380 I would think the 22" should work.

Big D
No One

Post by No One »

Big D

Thank for your info..Yea I am pretty stuck on the 380. :D
Black Eagle Executioners
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

Good luck with the turkey hunting No One and welcome to the forum. I agree with Big D, the 22" arrow should get you over the stirrup on the 380. Don't be surprised after you take off that turkeys head if you don't take out a couple trees also. That Magnus Bullhead looks massive.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
Big D

Post by Big D »

Here is a couple topics about turkey hunting /bullhead from the forum that have some good feedback thought they might help. One of the gentleman had success with the larger Bullhead.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=53204

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=53254
No One

Post by No One »

taz3

I seen that mod you did. Great job by the way. Since I work in a metal shop this wont be very hard for me to do. I will consider it closely.

Big D

Interesting Reads!! I dont like what I hear about most of the mech. broadheads, opening early. Thats why I have chossen Grim Reapers for deer(spring loaded type).

I am also worried about the bullheads because the fact that any birds head move quickly.

I would like to add that I have no crossbow experience. But I have shot vertical bow and guns never for hunting just for fun. I can hit a dime at 60 yards with vertical bow I have won competitions with the hunters out on the range. I also have no hunting experience either. But this wont stop me!! I am motivated since my wife had to quit working due to back injury. With only one pay check coming in I have to do something to cut the food bill as much as possible. Thats why I came here to excalibur to get people's insight and after researching xbows this is the only bow that made sense to me. I dont know why others spend money on compound xbow unless you have money to spend maintaining them. Thats something I dont have is money. This is my reason for buy a excal low maintance and low returns on damaged bow(bullet proof). I dont know why I added this info if only to give you insight on me and my situation.

This what I think about hunting. Being prepared and practice = success.
Black Eagle Executioners
Big D

Post by Big D »

No one I will keep your wife and her back injury in my prayers. As far as mech. I have been shooting the rage for years now and never had one open in flight. I have shot dozens of deer with rage out of a equinox, ibex, and now a 330 matrix. I believe some have had problems by not checking to see if blades were locked in o ring. The new crossbow rage has retention clips to secure them even more.
I have also been told by many that a turkeys head and neck is moving to much to hit; however, in my experience the strutting Toms that come to my decoys have there heads locked with little to no movement at all.
I hope GOD blesses you in your hunting experience and you can feed you and your family some healthy organic meat.

Big D
No One

Post by No One »

Thanks Big D we could use the prayers.

I can say for sure if mech open early or not but youtube is a wild place. Most are warning about high power xbow causing the opening of them. Is this old info and I shouldnt worry about them. If so let me know. :D
Black Eagle Executioners