Broad heads for turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jcomer

Broad heads for turkey

Post by Jcomer »

Need some suggestions on a broadhead for turkey hunting. I have a micro 335 shooting the quills at 16.5". New to shooting with crossbow so any help would be appreciated ,thank you.
Big D

Re: Broad heads for turkey

Post by Big D »

I have shot six birds with my x-bow over the years. I have used rage, spitfire, spitfire gobbler getters and rage extreme with larger cut. I unfortunately only found two of the six birds. The two I found were quick kills that took only a few steps. The others walked off were blood trailed and never found. After losing two birds last year, I have switched to the magnus bullhead and will NEVER shoot another bird in the body again. Bullheads are made for head and neck shots if you hit the bird he is down miss and know you don't have a wounded bird. You will need arrows that extend pass the stirrup. I use 20" 2219 aluminums out of my 330. Magnus recommends a stiff arrow for these heads. At 15 yards were I usually get birds in decoy range they are plenty accurate. I sighted in the smaller 100grain cut last year; however, I did not get a chance after losing two birds with rage. I am going to try the 3" 3/4 cut 125 this year to see how they fly. If they fly well I will be excited to get a bird in range a little off with that huge cut and he still is dead.

Good luck Big D
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

the FOC for turkey works good . NAP makes them for turkeys. good l :) uck
JLH

Post by JLH »

I've shot 5 birds in the past 2 years, all body shots, 4 with a spitfire max, 1 with a slick trick.
all were dead a few yds from where they were shot...furthest one flopped about 20 yds.

Not saying that I'm better than anyone, but for me, I just perfer to wait for the right shot.
I perfer broadside and I hit them in the wing butt.

For turkeys with my bow I'll have spitfire's on my arrows this season.

And my micro will have 125 spitfire's on the front.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use the same broadhead I use for deer, SlickTricks. But I add a Zwickey grappler to the shaft. The couple extra grains do not change POI enough that I need to change the scooe from season to season.
Grapplers can still get a pass through, but make arrow recovery a bit easier.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Here's what I have used for a # of years. They're getting harder to find now but I've never had a turkey go more that a few feet max. Aftershock Gobbler/Hypershock 125 gr 2.75" cut.

The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Jcomer

Post by Jcomer »

Thanks everyone for the replys.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I hope you have success if you choose a broad head that is used for body shots. Obviously from the two I harvested and success from these gentleman it can be done. Here is a couple topics about turkey hunting and using the bullhead from the forum that have some good feedback thought they might help. One of the gentleman had success with the larger Bullhead.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=53204

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=53254

Good luck Big D
ClintRhodes

Post by ClintRhodes »

Great question.....I'll be going after some birds with my Micro this spring.