Aluminum vs carbon

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Duker

Aluminum vs carbon

Post by Duker »

Hello one and all !! I am the proud owner of a new Matrix-330. Can someone please tell me if I can shoot aluminum arrows or do I have to stay with the Diablo carbon ones, included in the package ?? They are 18inches w/o any broad-heads of field tips. If aluminum is possible, what weight or code from Easton ( I believe ) would I need ?? Thanks in advance to all with any info. Duker. :) :)
ehntr

Re: Aluminum vs carbon

Post by ehntr »

2216 or the stiffer 2219.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
bikerbob24

Post by bikerbob24 »

I like the 2219 Easton , shoot them all the time out of all my bows.
Micro 335
Nightmare 335
Matrix 330
Axiom
Vixenmaster Flemish Strings
K-9 handler and trainer , K-9 Baily my partner for 7 years, we are now retired , spending our time hunting & fishing or just enjoying life.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

If you go aluminum get an arrow puller or be careful pulling them from a foam target as they will bend
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

I have always shot alu. but this year for some unknow reason I shot carbon. bee spynal tap .So far I like them and may stay with them.
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
fredd

Post by fredd »

2219's
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Carbon is more forgiving, I made the switch a long time ago, and just stayed with them.
Good Luck on your decision
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

I shot 2216 from my exomax with no issues.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

2219's for me as they group the best when straight. As said though, they are easy to bend, so buy an arrow puller. Check for straightness frequently and when you see groups "mysteriously" open up.
Main advantage of Carbon is it's durability over Aluminum.
Main advantage of Aluminum is it's straightness for dollar over Carbon.

I personally prefer Aluminum because I put them through a deer and pick up another for <$5 just about anywhere and of course they weigh the same. So I have a never ending replacement option when I do bend/lose one.

Carbon, is tough to find the exact same arrow with that type of nock components etc and you had...so usually most guys just factor it in and order a dozen or 1/2dz at a time.

IME - they cost the same in the long run...but it's easier to replace that 1 at a time that you lose or/break off in deer than to hide $50 -$100 on your CC bill from the wife:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
leonk

Post by leonk »

Check for straightness frequently
how do you check that?

EDIT: I just noticed I have been a member for 10 years (next month)! Time to celebrate :
and I am asking newb questions :roll:
I was a member before that too, but something happened and I had to re-register. It was around the time Red Label passed away, if anyone remembers that :(
Duker

Post by Duker »

A big Thank-you to all my Excalibur x-bow "brothers " for your info regarding aluminum vs carbon . Not only am I new to this forum , but new to x-bows as well. I will certainly seek more info from all you " veterans " of this wonderful Forum in the near future . Good shooting/ hunting to all. Duker !
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

leonk wrote:
how do you check that?

EDIT: I just noticed I have been a member for 10 years (next month)! Time to celebrate :
I was a member before that too, but something happened and I had to re-register. It was around the time Red Label passed away, if anyone remembers that :(
You can buy an arrow spinner.......just google it. Or you can make your own using crossed finishing nails and a 2X4 or you can just take a couple coffee mugs out of your cupboard and...

E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

When I first started in archery aluminum was the best option we had over fiberglass and graphite. I don't want to offend the aluminum arrow users but it simply isn't the best option today, in my opinion. It can be less expensive up front but ultimately ends up costing you more because we all know what aluminum does best, it bends. I suggest you give Jerry at South Shore Archery a call. I read here yesterday that he's selling B.E. arrows for $31.00/dozen. You won't buy aluminum arrows for that price and the carbons will outlast them tenfold. My opinion.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
strum

Post by strum »

ehntr wrote:
leonk wrote:
how do you check that?

You can buy an arrow spinner.......just google it. Or you can make your own using crossed finishing nails and a 2X4 or you can just take a couple coffee mugs out of your cupboard and...

that's the best arrow spinner if seen yet..thanks !!!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
leonk

Post by leonk »

Indeed, thanks for the mug idea, always learn something here.
There was another argument against fg/carbon, they used to shatter occasionally at the moment of release , I have no idea if it is still a concern, but some people were badly injured in the past.