Cutting down rail - warranty?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chenessfan

Cutting down rail - warranty?

Post by chenessfan »

Hey guys,
I know several people have cut down their rails to get their perfect bow and I'm toying with the idea to shorten the rail on a Micro to get an even compacter and smoother to cock bow. I'm just wondering, would this void the warranty of the limbs? I'm thinking yes since it's hardly a small change (even though it should actually have a positive effect on limb life). Maybe someone has run into the problem of getting a splintered limb on a modified bow and could tell me his experience dealing with the warranty?
Thanks
Excalibur Micro Nightmare and Excalibur Phoenix

Also lots of swords if the arrow doesn't finish the job :D
colouredchameleon

Re: Cutting down rail - warranty?

Post by colouredchameleon »

I suspect modifcations as such are not the norm for 99% of the crossbows Excalibur sells as well as risky on such a new model design.
Would think your Warranty would be VOID and so it should be.
The liability for Excalibur if a serious mishap occurred as a result of an unauthorized modification(s) and it was determined later that Excalibur hounored a warranty claim at any time in the past contrary to their warranty statement concerning modications would most likely open the door for a successful lawsuit. $$$$$.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I spect you would be on yer own after that mod was done. We use to play swap the rail a month game on the older Exo models.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

It seems like shortening the rail would also make mounting a bow quiver difficult on the micro . already looks pretty close to the riser bolts /stock ,although that is not an issue if you don't use a bow mounted quiver .

if you want an easier to cock bow the vixen II is hard to beat , although it is pretty wide compared to a micro .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
chenessfan

Post by chenessfan »

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I'm thinking it would void the warranty, just wanted to see if maybe some people had experience with it.

Yeah, the bow quiver wouldn't fit but I don't like it anyway. It harms the otherwise lovely balance of the bow IMO.

I don't necessarily want a very easy to cock bow (have a Phoenix also that I can cock all day), I just find the Nightmare a bit uncomfortable to cock, otherwise it's my dream bow, wonderfully handy and a joy to shoot. I wouldn't mind a few fps less so I figure if I cut the rail down to 8.5" I have a bow that has about the same speed as my Phoenix but is a lot nicer to shoot and carry.
Anyway, we'll see. I'm certainly not rushing into anything.

racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I can pretty much guarantee they would still honor your warranty. Their CS is that good. That being said, anyone that drastically modifies their gear shouldn't expect a company to step up and cover it.

The lawsuit comment seems incredibly speculative.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Boo

Post by Boo »

Have you considered the C2 crank?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
cspot

Post by cspot »

If you can cock it ok now, I would just stick with it. Rumor is they will have a lower poundage Micro next year, so you could sell the 335 and buy one of those then and not have to worry about warranty. The other rumor is that they will have a new crank later this year as well so I would wait to see what it is like. If you are having difficulty now I would get the C2 crank.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
chenessfan

Post by chenessfan »

Thanks for your comments, appreciate it.
I've been thinking about getting a C2 crank but they're not cheap (bout 200$ over here) and honestly I'd rather avoid having to lug one around. I prefer keeping things simple.

I can cock it ok but after a few shots it just stops being fun. Maybe I need to man up, might get easier once my body has had time to get used to pulling that weight.

Lower poundage Micro and a new crank? Both sound good!

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Call Danny Miller, talk to him about what you want to do. I know he has had rails cut down for folks in the past. If Danny cut it down, then Danny might be in a better position to warranty it. At least he would tell you up front what would and would not be covered. Just a thought.
chenessfan

Post by chenessfan »

I think I figured out how to cock the bow without throwing my back out. Never noticed how sucky my form was when cocking the Phoenix but the Micro doesn't let you get away with that.

I might still cut down a rail because the idea of an even handier bow just appeals to me a lot but I think for now I'm good. Thanks for your comments!