Excalibur vixen cocking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

HIM_Darling

Excalibur vixen cocking

Post by HIM_Darling »

So I took my new vixen out to the archery range today to practice using it and I have a horrible problem. I can't cock it. My boyfriend was with me so he was able to cock it for me at the range, but obviously that won't work for hunting. I'm only 5'1", I tried shortening the rope cocker but when I shortened it to as far as I could pull the string with one hand(which isn't far), I still can't cock the crossbow. Obviously I need to hit the gym but in the meantime does anyone have any advice? I've looked into the crank device but $130 is a bit out of my range when I just paid $700 for the crossbow. Thanks.

Just trying to cock the thing today has my arms, shoulders, and back sore.
:( :( :(
I was really looking forward to getting to play with my crossbow after work this week.
awshucks

Re: Excalibur vixen cocking

Post by awshucks »

Try it 10 times in the am and 10 more in the p.m and in no time it will work for you.

My kid had the same problem [and solution] took him 3 days. Don't over do it, just pull til it starts to hurt and go for another one.....
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Anudder thing to try is sit down an use yer leg to cock the vixen. Bend yer knee put foot in stirrup n push hard let yer leg do it. I do that all the time wid me Marie Laveau :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Kathy can,t cock hers either and has the crank also but does not like it! :lol: So when we are shooting i cock it for her as long as she wants to shoot :lol: She has tried every method and nothing works! Hopefully when the crank comes out for the Micro she will be able to do that bow! :lol:
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Based on the information that you provided, you are in need of a crank type cocker if you are going to be able continue forward in using your Xbow when you are alone.

Please be careful of any advice that would have you do repititions until you begin to get sore - this type of thing may send you down the path to rotator cuff or back issues.

Spend the $130 (or find a used one if you can for less). Your health is far more valuable than that; although the short term view, which is the way most of us like to look at things, is to take our chances and not spend the money now and then deal with a lifetime of soreness and pain, which will cost a lot more than $130 in doctor appointments and rehab down the line.

Sorry to sound like a broken record on this issue, however, I will do what I can to save someone else from wrecking their shoulder as I have done.
Tom

Post by Tom »

HIM_Darling wrote:..................
Just trying to cock the thing today has my arms, shoulders, and back sore.
:( :( :(
I was really looking forward to getting to play with my crossbow after work this week.
To me, this statement, tells me that you are not cocking the bow with proper technique. Today, with the rope cockers, crankaroo, acrudraw, ect, most shooters count on them and not learn the proper method.

As vixenmaster said, use your legs more. Keep your back straight, step into the stirup, bend your knees (remember, back straight) grip rope cocker then stand up straight. You should only use your arms at the very top of the draw. Practice will make it better, but the smoother you become in this action, the easier it will be.

Your short stature (5'1") will make it more dificult then someone which is taller (longer legs) but a proper method will help make it easier.

Hope this helps you.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome, No worries, cocking a crossbow it is a learned movement and will just take some practice time. It is more about technique than strength the way I see it

I watched Patti my wife have her moments of frustration and at the beginning and recently watched a female friend who is 5'1" and 100 pounds go through the same thing with her Matrix 330, now she cocks it easily. Once you teach the necessary muscles to work together it will seem easy. If you get frustrated just stop and take a break and come back at a later time and try again.

Another thing I suggest is wearing a solid boot instead of running shoes.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
chenessfan

Post by chenessfan »

I just had exactly your problem, had real trouble cocking my Micro repeatedly. Listen to Norman and Tom, they have it right. Doing it their way I can cock my Micro without fear of hurting my back. Never noticed my lack of form when cocking my Phoenix.

Do it this way:
Put your (right) foot solidly in the stirrup, go down in the knees like when you pick something up from the ground, keep your back ABSOLUTELY straight and stand up.
Excalibur Micro Nightmare and Excalibur Phoenix

Also lots of swords if the arrow doesn't finish the job :D
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I always hear folks say to put your right foot in the stirrup but for some reason it feels easier using my left foot. I'm right-handed but do some things better lefty style so you might try it too with one smooth push up with your legs into a final little tug with your upper body.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
galamb

Post by galamb »

My buddy is about 5'1" and shoots an Axiom and had similar issues - arms just weren't long enough so was running out of "leverage".

So while I don't think it's recommended at all (but being an Excal it's tough enough) he doesn't put his foot in the stirrup (which he removed), he stands on the limbs with his feet sucked up tight against either side of the rail. That gains him a couple of inches which is just enough that he can get the string locked in.

Again, maybe not how I would do it, but I'm 6'1" with long arms - he does what he needs to...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Please be careful of any advice that would have you do repititions until you begin to get sore - this type of thing may send you down the path to rotator cuff or back issues.
My kids health is just fine. Actually, shortly after he mastered the cocking of the Vixen, I switched the rail to a Phoenix. He never noticed the diff, lol.

Of course you are using muscles not used before. I'd forgotten about the chair trick, good one!

Git-R-Done.... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I am not questioning the health of your kid. Young people generally are more flexible and bounce back faster than those that are older; been there and done that, so I know that I am not nearly as flexible or able to bounce back as fast as before.

I can remember many years ago, someone on an archery site telling people to build up their strength by pulling back their hatchet cammed 50% let off bow and then letting it down numerous times. A sure fire way to completely wreck a shoulder.

Again - I will caution anyone that will listen, against the no pain no gain advice to obtain strength with a bow of any kind.

Go ahead and do it if you want, I wish you the best.