I've fallen and I can't get up!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

I've fallen and I can't get up!

Post by Species8472 »

So I went up to the camp for the first time since New Year's today. Snow was anywhere from 20-24 inches in the bush and quite soft. Put on my snowshoes and decided to break a trail down to the river (about a mile) and than set up at one of the food plots and try to call in some coyotes.

Well all was going smoothly until I lost my balance about 3/4 of a mile in and wiped out. Pack went flying, rifle buried in the snow and me on my back admiring the sky with my legs askew. I am sure I was quite the sight. :lol: :lol:

My trail breaking boats (snowshoes) are great but are something of a pain to take off/on when you are all geared up. So I tried (unsuccessfully) to get back on my feet without taking them off - not gonna happen with the parka and snow pants on as there was nothing to push off of. My hands were just disappearing into the snow with no ground to be found. Being the stubborn person I am I swam over to the nearest tree (about 10 feet) and used it to pull my self up.

At this point I was laughing at myself pretty hard and decided to just dump my gear and snowshoe around for a few hours as there was literally no coyote tracks anywhere. Saw 18 deer (group of 6 and a group of 12). They looked to be in very good shape. There was also more deer sign than I have ever seen at this time of year. Also saw a group of 20-30 turkeys (not sure how many as they took running and flying) and tons of snowshoe hare sign. One of the hare runs was wide enough and packed hard enough I am pretty sure I could have walked on it without snowshoes.

All and all a fun way to spend a cold afternoon.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
georgiaboy

Re: I've fallen and I can't get up!

Post by georgiaboy »

Would have loved a video of that one!! :lol: :lol:
Glad your ok. :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X2! We all have our moments! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

I'm sure that was a Kodak moment. Sounds like a nice camp.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

to funny. I want to be young again. Actually I could do that on grass. :shock:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I could jus picture a pillsbury Doughboy flounderin around in the soft snow like it were cool whip :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
No One

Post by No One »

Its never funny till hind side kicks in. :lol:
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I can laugh because I have been there . Mine was walking past a small evergreen when I went over against the tree . Here I am floundering around trying desperately to even get horizontal with snowshoes still on . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

:lol: :lol: use to hunt them white bunnies on snow shoes and ended up that way a few times and back then every thing was leather and buckles. There are so few bunnies around now day's it's now worth going out to look for them.
Have a blessed day
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

agingcrossbower wrote:to funny. I want to be young again. Actually I could do that on grass. :shock:
That's funny stuff there Aging :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Good story, glad it had a happy ending and you could laugh about it! I've got my feet tangled up in roots, briars and vines more times than I can count :oops: :oops: :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers