VIXEN SPEED

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

VIXEN SPEED

Post by confederate »

What is the speed of the Vixen when shot with the arrows that come in the Kit? The web site says 285 fps. Is this accurate? My mathews doesnt shoot that fast and it is plenty for any Big game animal. The reason I am asking is that I see where some say on the Forums that the vixen is good for certain game at certain yardage. What would be the difference between a crossbow versus a Compound if they shoot the same speed? Is noise the factor that makes the Crossbow less effective at the same ranges?
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340

Post by Guest »

Have you seen this page? The vixen is plenty for deer, check out the recommendations at the bottom of the page...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/choose.html
Digger

Post by Digger »

285 fps,That is the average speed for bolts of 350 gr. You may coax another 5 or 10 fps out of a 325 gr bolt that can be used.

Digger.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Deadeye

here's what I think

Post by Deadeye »

I totally disagree with Bstout, and that's the my freedom..but, noise is diffinately an issue with the crossbow.

I own a Exomag and love to use it. This is what I know I hope it helps ya.
I have killed deer even at close range that have string jump on me with both weapons. The crossbow makes noise and vibration like a cannon combared to my conventional bow, but the speed of my crossbow is a real inprovement to my convt bow in certain hunting applications.

Most of the animals I have shot with the crossbow never new where the shot came from even though it was loud, they just reacted to the noise. The bolt was throught there hide and traveling on to the next county when they were on to the next step and then they where being field dressed before they knew it.
The thing is that you gain some things like: speed, ground hunting ability, less movement, more knock down power , and accuracy with the crossbow. You loose some things like: The ability to shoot behind yourself in a climbing stand, it's a heavier weapon to haul in the thick woods, You get one shot only( it makes enough noise to wake the dead) in the woods, after it's cocked if you don't shoot, you got to fire it into something or use a rope to de-cock. All in all the crossbow can be used in many hunting situations to out preform a cont bow, but in many situations the convt bow beats the x-bow. I like them both and hunt them equally as viable archery hunting weapons and just love to hunt. There both good respectable archery methods that bring me pleasure.

I prefer the more powerful x-bow models rather than the lower power ones due to the fact that I now can pull a convt bow and when I use a crossbow I use it for it's hunting specific applications when it is more advantageous.

I find alot of these guys who use vixens are very defensive about the lower powered x-bows, and that's fine, because it will definitely kill deer just fine, but so can I can pull back my Bowtech conventional bow and do mostly what there vixen can do.
I however cannot do anything whatsoever like the ExoMag or Exomax can, There in a league of ther OWN! Excalibur rocks!

Deadeye

Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!

Post by Guest »

"but, noise is diffinately an issue with the crossbow. " but only too you :wink: Your cheeck is against the stock when you shoot, the noise is perceived by YOU as loud. Enough said about the noise of a x-bow as it has been covered many, many times.
BUCKSHOT

Vixen Deluxe

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Out of the box with 2213 Alluminum, 281 Fps
Upgrade to Laser 2 Graphite, 293 Fps out of my Vixen!
You can tweak more speed under the right conditions! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
confederate

Post by confederate »

What is the speed with the carbons that come with the kit? I would really rather have the Vixen because of being able to cock it easier but I dont want to make that decision if the exocet would be better. Its hard to get the right answer on the forums because I know everyone has there favorites. If we were talking about a Compound like my Mathews I would not even question the speed. My mathews is only Shooting 270 fps . I dont know if I mentioned it but the reason I am considering a Crossbow is that I have been fighting Target Panic for over a year and am now ready to give up. All my years in archery I have shot the best quality equipment so thats why I am going with Excalibur. I know I dont want anything bigger than the exocet though.
Last edited by confederate on Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

With Excalibur you get what's advertised....no BS, no false promises.

With Laser II carbons at 20" (standard in "the kit") you will get (at least) 285 fps for the Vixen, 310 fps with the Exocet, 330 fps Exomag and 350+ fps with the Exomax. I have a carved tip (vintage) Vixen with Dacron string and 2213's and it shoots 272 fps. Going to carbons, modern Magtips and hence fastflite string easily gets you to 285fps.

The Vixen bolts can be shortened to 18" as previously mentioned for a small gain. All the "kits" come with 20" bolts though.
Red Label

Re: VIXEN SPEED

Post by Red Label »

confederate wrote: What would be the difference between a crossbow versus a Compound if they shoot the same speed?
Believe it or not, the crossbow bolt might launch at the same speed, but it slows down and drops faster than the compound arrow. It has to do with the bolt's comparatively fat, short profile and poorer drag characteristics.

IMHO - go with the most powerful bow you can comfortably cock and shoot repetitively. The Vixen is all you need for deer, but more speed is never a bad thing if your body can handle the cocking effort required.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Charles,
I started out with a Vixen (mag tip limbs in the black finish) when the minimum arrow weight was still 350 grains. The best velocity I got out of it was in the low 270s. I hunted with it one season and killed the 2 deer limit with ease. I stepped up to an Exocet, and hunted last year with 2216s weighing 400 grains total. Velocity was 293-294 fps, and the difference was noticable on deer. I was tagged out before the first month of season was over. I'm now shooting goldtip carbons and getting 309.6 to 309.8 fps. The Exocet is a great crossbow, but I'm thinking of going back to a Vixen simply because it's easier to cock, hence more enjoyable to shoot a lot! I'll probably go ahead and hunt with the Exocet this fall, but come spring I may just order a new Vixen and some custom carbons to see how much velocity I can tweek out of it.
I guess my advice is buy whichever one you prefer, they're both great for deer!
wabi
confederate

Post by confederate »

I can cock the exocet but I wouldnt call it a snap by any means. I am also thinking that since I aint getting any younger I dont figure cocking it is gonna get any easier either. The pro shop here doesnt have a Vixen in stock so if I get one they will have to order it. I havent made my decision yet thats why I like all the imput I can get from yall on this Forum.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Do you use a cocking aid? With the cocking aid I can't notice the difference between the Exocet and the Vixen. I cut my bolts down to 18" and so I guess my Vixen is shooting around 290fps.

The only reason I would go with an Exocet is if I thought I may go after moose or bear or something larger then a deer. If this is the case the extra pop you would get from the Exocet is worth the price you pay in cocking.
confederate

Post by confederate »

Shakky, is the problem penetration with the Vixen vs the Exocet ? Or is the problem that a Crossbow makes so much noise you need as much speed as possible to keep the animal from dropping. The reason I ask is the statement you made about what animal I would be hunting. I will be hunting Deer and Wild Hogs but I am curious as to why you wouldnt hunt Elk with a Vixen? It shoots faster than My Mathews and I would go after Elk with the Mathews. I know Yall can tell how new I am at this Crossbow Hunting, thats why I am asking before I make my purchase. It is sounding like I need to go with the Exocet.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

To me if Bill T. puts on his web-site that the Vixen is questionable for moose then thats good enough for me. I assume that's what the ? means on the chart. The thing to remember about the Exocet is you can move up to a heavier bolt and increase you KE and still maintain a good speed. As you said it will improve the penetration.
Gary in Ohio

Post by Gary in Ohio »

Anonymous wrote:"but, noise is diffinately an issue with the crossbow. " but only too you :wink: Your cheeck is against the stock when you shoot, the noise is perceived by YOU as loud. Enough said about the noise of a x-bow as it has been covered many, many times.
I've shot my crossbow off the hip to test this theory. It was a only a little bit quieter. Comparing the noise of a compound to a crossbow is like comparing apples to pumkins.