Any 3D Shooters On Here? I Have A Few Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

StormDragon

Any 3D Shooters On Here? I Have A Few Questions

Post by StormDragon »

I just saw that the local shop near me not only has 3d shoots but crossbows are "allowed".

I was wondering if anyone on here does them and if so, would my Micro be ok for them.

According to the IBO Rules if I read correctly, the only thing I would have to do is get a slightly heavier arrow since my current ones are 421Gr and the IBO calls for 425Gr for a crossbow shooting 300-325FPS (I would just need to add another 4Gr.

Also, are lighted nocks allowed? Or would I just have to take the light stick out of my Ignitors?

I think my Hawke XB30 Pro scope would be ok since although it has the range reticals, I dont have to adjust anything.

Alot of questions I know but Im also trying to make sure Im interpretting things correctly to.

Thanks in advance
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
vixenmaster

Re: Any 3D Shooters On Here? I Have A Few Questions

Post by vixenmaster »

Micro is a crossbow so its allowed. Jus make sure yer arrows weighs enuff to slow it down to their max speed allowed. I find it odd they put a fps speed limit on the crossbow. Must be usin less than good quality targets
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

vixenmaster wrote:Micro is a crossbow so its allowed. Jus make sure yer arrows weighs enuff to slow it down to their max speed allowed. I find it odd they put a fps speed limit on the crossbow. Must be usin less than good quality targets
Oddly enough the FPS things is straight out of the IBO rule book and not from the shop.

And its not a max speed, its a min Grains per arrow rule depending what speed you are shooting with you particular bow.

Heres the rules for every bow/class etc : http://www.ibo.net/pdf/2014/IBO%20RULES%202014.pdf
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
bikerbob24

Post by bikerbob24 »

Wish I could shoot some 3-D competition here. Local archery club will not allow crossbows.... we have to stick to shooting 3-D at a friends farm... :?
Micro 335
Nightmare 335
Matrix 330
Axiom
Vixenmaster Flemish Strings
K-9 handler and trainer , K-9 Baily my partner for 7 years, we are now retired , spending our time hunting & fishing or just enjoying life.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Unless it's a sanctioned I.B.O. shoot you don't need to worry about it. Most clubs in my area have a 350 fps max that they don't enforce anyway. If it's a local club and it's a fun shoot, go shoot and have fun. 3D shooting is a great time and can really improve your shooting ability. Check with the club regarding the use of binos and rangefinders. Binos are usually okay but rangefinders usually aren't.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

3D can be a ton of fun!

I personally wouldn't shoot a lighted nock (it gives others a sweet aim point!) I prefer a black nock for 3D. 8)

Binos are handy for checking out the rings on the different targets, you may also want to carry a Danny Miller arrow puller, some lube for the first inch of our arrows, and a card or set of cards showing different 3D targets indicating where the vitals are located for different presentations.

Have an awesome time!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

What paulaboutform has said x 2

I have been shooting my crossbow at 3Ds, indoor and outdoor, for years. Club shoots usually don’t care about speed. IBO or up here provincial or national 3D shoots do care about speed and equipment used. Unless shooting K50, rangefinders are not allowed. Binoculars are allowed and their magnification may or may not be an issue.

As for lighted nocks, not a clue. I have seen them used at club shoots. Gives competitors shooting after you a great marker on the target. Good chance someone will hit the lighted nock sometime during a shoot, so bring a bunch of them with you….
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Very interesting reading about your rules.
We have a different nest of snakes over here.
300fps.
You can't alter your scope once you've started a competition.
No cocking aids.
No binoculars.
Cards are allowed..
Lighted nocks are allowed but no one uses them.
No rangefinders
Scopes with mil dots etc are allowed,as is lighted reticule.
We had a big kerfuffle at last years agm trying to get binoculars accepted.
We will be having another go this year.
There is a faction in our society that think having them to spot where the sweet spot for maximum score is would be unsporting.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

X2 on what Ellis said about lighted nocks. I wouldn't even just take out the battery as you'll inevitably end up with broken nocks and that can get very expensive. I'd get some plastic nocks and epoxy some little set screws to the inside to get the same weight as your lighted nocks to maintain your poi.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

StormDragon wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:Micro is a crossbow so its allowed. Jus make sure yer arrows weighs enuff to slow it down to their max speed allowed. I find it odd they put a fps speed limit on the crossbow. Must be usin less than good quality targets
Oddly enough the FPS things is straight out of the IBO rule book and not from the shop.

And its not a max speed, its a min Grains per arrow rule depending what speed you are shooting with you particular bow.

Heres the rules for every bow/class etc : http://www.ibo.net/pdf/2014/IBO%20RULES%202014.pdf
He George...let me know when there is a shoot...i would live to take a trip down and shoot....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I know some guys that would enjoy smashing your lighted nocks after you shot.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....excellent thread...Storm Dragon PM'd me with the South Jersey Specifics....Hey other Jerseyans maybe we can pick a shoot at this club and meetup...who knows it might become a foundation for "Boofest Lite" in the northeast....I would be up for any of the shoots from May on....any other NJ interest?

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:I know some guys that would enjoy smashing your lighted nocks after you shot.
Yup - it becomes part of the game - especially if your lit nock is in the 12 ring! :mrgreen:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.