What have you done to your Crossbow?Crankaroo Cheek Rest Fix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XcaliburFX

What have you done to your Crossbow?Crankaroo Cheek Rest Fix

Post by XcaliburFX »

Well it looks as if I have been sold a Crankaroo instead of a C2 Crank, thus it not fitting the cheek rests correctly. Oh well ... Live and Learn! So, I know it will work with the Axiom, Eclipse Xt and the Matrix 355 without the Cheek Rests on. And the pin was just a tad tight (few thousands) on the Nightmare. So, still usable with what I have now. just wished I could remember if it was a forum member I bought it from or if I ordered it. I know my Tac-Pacs all came from a forum member, oh well my fault for not being sure. sorry folks.

Just what the title says.

Here's what I did last night.

Matrix 355:
Added the Guardian Anti-Dry Fire
Replaced the Tact-Zone with a Twilight DLX
Had already added the Tac-Pac to it last deer season.

Nightmare 335:
Added the Tact-Zone from the Matrix
Added a Tac-Pac

Insert Crankaroo everywhere I wrote C2, as I found out all this time I had a Crankaroo instead of the C2 ... :oops:

Also, On the Nightmare 335, the hole in the back of the stock for the C2 Crank was a tad off and would not accept the crank at all (this is with the cheek rest off btw), so I bored the hole it just a smidgen more (few thousandths). The C2 Crank will now go on, the locking pin is still very tight screwing in, but I did not want to make the hole any bigger, so hopefully time will wear it in so it works slicker. :) Works fine on the Matrix 355, not modification need. :)

Part two of the C2 Crank issues, with the Cheek Rest on the Nightmare 335 the C2 Crank would not fit onto the stock at all. So, once again I went to modifying. Looking at how the Cheek Rest was curved slightly near the top, I was pretty sure it would fit the rounded end of my belt sander just about perfectly.

So, to the basement I went or the mad scientist/fabrication lab, which ever sounds more appealing to ya lol. At any rate, I carefully positioned the curved section to the belt sander, I had to be careful here as to much material off and it would be ruined. and took off about 3/16 of an inch of the Cheek Rest at the curve only. I then sanded with 400 grit the edges, front side and back side, to match the original shape of the rest. You have to look close or you can't see the small extra bit of curve on the Cheek Rest. I re-installed the Cheek Rest and attached the C2 Crank to it and it was just perfect, about 1/16 of an inch gap between the cheek Rest and the C2 Crank when attached. Looks dang good to if I do say so myself. :)

Still need's a tiny bit of finish sanding to even everything out, but not bad at all. I'm a bit OCD about things like that lol.

BTW, The C2 Crank also would not work with my Axiom and Eclipse XT with the Cheek Rest on, so I assume it would be the same for the Matrix 355. At any rate just in case I am not the only one with this issue, there's your fix.

Caution: Be very careful that you do not ruin the Cheek Rest. If you do not feel comfortable doing what I did with the belt sander or whatever your using, get someone who is good at using these tools to help you.

I do this all the time, as I modify computer cases (known as Modding) into custom cases and custom builds. So, I am always cutting, grinding, fiber-glassing or whatever it takes to get the desired look I want. lol

Any way, that is what I did last night. Now, to sight the scopes in and have fun. :)
Last edited by XcaliburFX on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
XcaliburFX

Re: What have you done to your Crossbow? C2-Crank Cheek Rest

Post by XcaliburFX »

Just an after thought ... I had thought about trading the Twilight DLX for a smaller scope like the Tact-Zone, but since it was new in the box and the only scope I had, oh well. LOL
Assassin 360 Strata
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Glad to hear you were able to modify fer yer tastes. I hope they come out with a better crank fer the Micro owners. I haven't done anything to much to my Matrix models. Kong came wid everything. Marie i put the ADF n Millers buggy bumpers on. Kong wears a Redfield Crossbow Revenge scope. Marie wears a 1x Hawke that has the red/gn illumination feature. I took the cheek rest off of Kong, didn't even try the C2 wid it on him
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Added the pic of the Cheek Rest with the C2 Crank attached to the stock.
vixenmaster wrote:Glad to hear you were able to modify fer yer tastes. I hope they come out with a better crank fer the Micro owners. I haven't done anything to much to my Matrix models. Kong came wid everything. Marie i put the ADF n Millers buggy bumpers on. Kong wears a Redfield Crossbow Revenge scope. Marie wears a 1x Hawke that has the red/gn illumination feature. I took the cheek rest off of Kong, didn't even try the C2 wid it on him
I prefer the lighted reticles, is why I stuck with the DLX, if I had of had another Tact-Zone I would have put it on, as I have had no issues with them. Might be interesting to know if your Cheek rest and C2 Crank would play nice together.
Assassin 360 Strata
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I get a chance this evenin i will hook both of them n let cha knowed. I am takin a rest break been splittin firewood
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Sounds good Mike, just take your time bro and don't be over doing it. :)

Just remember if you try this, make sure to test that the color is the same all the way through.
Last edited by XcaliburFX on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assassin 360 Strata
huntinwi

Post by huntinwi »

Just got my c2 crank today and no mods necessary on my nightmare 335
crank is 5/8 inch away from cheek rest
COb

Post by COb »

Looks like ther may be more than one C2 crank. Mine works on the micro335. It is different than yours. See where "Excalibur" is written and the height difference where the hooks are sitting .....
Smoke 1 --}}}}---------->

Micro 335 Real Tree
16.5 quills
8ptbuk Flemish string
Xcalibur Flemish string
C2 crank - old guy uses it all the time, in free wheel mode
Varizone scope.... For now
Broad Heads - I better get some

Doing whatever I want
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

COb wrote:Looks like ther may be more than one C2 crank. Mine works on the micro335. It is different than yours. See where "Excalibur" is written and the height difference where the hooks are sitting .....
Fx has the original Crankaroo,not the C2 crank.
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

XcaliburFX--- are you sure that is a new C2 and not the old Crankaroo??--- I have in my hands what I believe to be the older Crankaroo and it looks the same -- mine will not fit my Matrix --- actually am going to sell it and get the newer C2
COb

Post by COb »

The micro needs Excalibur model 2199.

Here's part of the description....
"Please note that this Cranking aid is for use with Excalibur's thumbhole or 2008 and newer traditional stocks identified by five diagonal slash marks located on the forend on either side of the trigger."

Just saw Walmart has them on line for $125
Smoke 1 --}}}}---------->

Micro 335 Real Tree
16.5 quills
8ptbuk Flemish string
Xcalibur Flemish string
C2 crank - old guy uses it all the time, in free wheel mode
Varizone scope.... For now
Broad Heads - I better get some

Doing whatever I want
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

hmmm, I am not so sure now. I think I bought it from a forum member here and it was supposed to be the latest model, or was that the Tac-Pac from Matt. That was in 2012 I think. It works fine with all the bows I mentioned except for the Cheek rest and the exception of the Micro locking pin hole. Maybe it is the older crankaroo. I'll see if I can't find the post about it.
Last edited by XcaliburFX on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assassin 360 Strata
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

Its definetly the Crankaroo.
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Well it fit all my other newer excals perfect except for the cheek rest. Well fooled me I guess. Guess I will change the title. LOL
Assassin 360 Strata
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

woodmnctry wrote:XcaliburFX--- are you sure that is a new C2 and not the old Crankaroo??--- I have in my hands what I believe to be the older Crankaroo and it looks the same -- mine will not fit my Matrix --- actually am going to sell it and get the newer C2
Mine fit everything I have had up until the Nightmare, and even then the hole was only a few thousandths off. Not wobbly or anything on my Axiom, Eclipse or 355, fit flush and fine, just would not clear the Cheek rest. I found the post where I had found out that I needed a C2 Crank for my Axiom.

I appreciate you folks pointing that out to me.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 23#p447623

Just can't remember where I got it ( I have bought way too much Excalibur stuff the last 3-4 years lol), from a forum member or ordered online. But I knew before hand it was supposed to be a C2, And I am pretty sure I still have the box that had it wrote on it. Will try to find it.

No use anyway now I suppose, I have used it successfully on 3 Excalibur Crossbows and now it works great on the Nightmare. Just hate getting duped and making a fool out of myself. lol :shock: :oops: :lol:
Assassin 360 Strata