New to crossbows and needing guidance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

J-kid

New to crossbows and needing guidance

Post by J-kid »

I have admired the Excalibur recurve design for years and decided to to purchase a Micro as my first crossbow. I'll use it primarily for turkey from a blind (my longbow can be frustrating in a turkey blind). I plan on getting the bow without a scope as I have a Weaver Classic K 1-4x and just don't care for multi-dot scopes. My questions are, will the Weaver work? Will I need to pick one power setting and stay at that setting once sighted in or can I make power changes in the field? I'm planning on going with the quill arrows and bolt cutter broad heads. Any issues with these choices? Any additional advice for a guy that has hunted deer and turkey with a longbow for the past 30 years would be appreciated.
Mo wannabe

Re: New to crossbows and needing guidance

Post by Mo wannabe »

Welcome aboard ! Your choice of models show you have good taste ! :mrgreen:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
bubba

Post by bubba »

Congrats!! on your new bow.. and welcome to the forum..I'm sure you can make that scope work with your bow, at least for one aim point say 30 or 20 yards, as for other settings? I think other members should have the answers, I'm not sure.............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well there ain't no doubt a Micro will kill a gobble bird. Thar be better choices of BH's fer turkeys. Jus make sure you sight yer scope in fer the distance you figure to kill yer bird at. Welcome to the Forum n congrats on yer Micro
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats, welcome, and good advice from those guys. I would sight the scope at 30, and verify POI at 20 which should be about 3" high. Good luck, post pics of your gobbler! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Congrats on your purchase. You'll love that bow in a blind, especially if you're used to skewering gobblers with a longbow!

Re: your question with magnification. I also recommend a 30y zero. Yes you can vary the magnification with no impact on your zero, unless you plan on using the junction of the thin and thick parts of the crosshair for 20 and 40y holdovers, (I don't know what your reticle looks like). Changing magnification would only impact POI for 20y and 40y.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Welcome to the camp!!! Turkey Birds beware!!!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

The variable scopes with fps markings confuse me. So those will set the power to one setting that will correspond to the distance markings in the scope. If using a duplex reticle with single crosshair a change in magnification will not effect that single crosshair poi? That sounds like a good thing then.

Also, what would be a better broad head for turkey then the bolt cutters?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bow. The boltcutter has taken down a bull elephant so there's no doubt it can kill a gobbler but a large cut diameter broadhead is what most will use. You'll need the same weight field points of course. For turkeys I would personally use the largest diameter mechanical I could find. If you're using the stock arrows I would look for a 125 grain broadhead just to give you more choices, something like a rocket hammerhead or comparable. I do prefer a fixed blade broadhead for big game such as deer or larger. Jmo. As for the scope, I would zero in at 20yards and see how much drop you have at 30yards and 40yards. Whatever your estimated shot distance is try to find an acceptable middle ground that will keep you in the kill zone. Example, my M380 is set at 33yards. That puts me at 2"high at 20yards and 2"low at 40yards.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

Thanks for the replies. I'll go with the weaver for now and figure out my yardages. As a traditional longbow hunter shooting instinctively, a crossbow is currently outside my comfort zone and mechanical broadheads are way out there. I'll take the advice to heart as you are the experts and I'm new to this venture. Looking forward to turkey season!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The previous posters are all correct, your poi won't change from 1X to 4x. If your Weaver has a duplex reticule, you can shoot for 3 aim points, top where the retical changes, crosshair, the the bottom change.

On my Leupold 2x7, I'm at 3x for all the ranges to be on.

Here's a pic of a lit reticule, imagine it black. I'd choose a Vari-zone for your Micro............Your crosshair is in the center of the scope, so it doesn't matter which power setting you choose, it's still the same poi, fwiw.

Welcome to the forum!!

"Eze 18:21"
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Deleted, double post.......... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great advice and welcome!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

increasing or decreasing magnification will move the poi . that is all the "speed ring" scopes are is an adjustable magnification scope . increase magnification to raise poi ,decrease to lower . Only first focal plane scopes poi are unaffected by magnification adjustments. an old weaver will not be first focal plane .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

So I should just pick my preferred magnification and leave it there?