Quill insert issue...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

globemountain

Quill insert issue...

Post by globemountain »

I just received my new Micro 335 package. On the very first shot the insert came out of the Quill arrow and stayed inside my Morrell bag target. That's rather disappointing. Is this common?
drkeenan

Re: Quill insert issue...

Post by drkeenan »

Same happened to me. My first upgrade was buying new quills from Jerry at South Shore.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

drkeenan wrote:Same happened to me. My first upgrade was buying new quills from Jerry at South Shore.
Quality Control 101.....hmmm...why shoould we have to do this??????? :( :(

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

Why?? Come on. Can you really hold Excalibur Crossbows up for all that happens to go wrong in there packages? Things happen, the arrows are built at Easton, the scopes in china, they are not made at the Excalibur factory. I for one am satisfied with in my opinion, the best crossbow period. The little things I an'it gonna worry about. Like arrows ,string, scope, bolts, those get replaced right off the bat.. That's my two nickels...........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

When inserts come out 2 things are at fault. Poor prep work n or poor glue
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Not common but just part of Murphy's effect on archery. You've been on the forum since 2005!............you must have lots of arrow building supplies :D
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

bubba wrote:Why?? Come on. Can you really hold Excalibur Crossbows up for all that happens to go wrong in there packages? Things happen, the arrows are built at Easton, the scopes in china, they are not made at the Excalibur factory. I for one am satisfied with in my opinion, the best crossbow period. The little things I an'it gonna worry about. Like arrows ,string, scope, bolts, those get replaced right off the bat.. That's my two nickels...........
...I guess the Gentleman from the North can politely agree to disagree with the Gentleman from the South ? :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I've had several of the quills lose the inserts and points shooting my micro also Trying to prep a little better and opened a new glue bottle . Maybe that will help :roll:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Normous

Post by Normous »

Don't worry about it, it may not be the arrows fault. Hard targets like the Morrell, Block, Rinehart and others, tend to protest arrow removal when shot during the cold months of the year and one can expect to loose a few tips and inserts if one chooses to shoot a cold target in the winter or cold months.
Buy some spare inserts which cost pennies a piece and prep them better than the factory would and you are good to go!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Normous wrote:Don't worry about it, it may not be the arrows fault. Hard targets like the Morrell, Block, Rinehart and others, tend to protest arrow removal when shot during the cold months of the year and one can expect to loose a few tips and inserts if one chooses to shoot a cold target in the winter or cold months.
Buy some spare inserts which cost pennies a piece and prep them better than the factory would and you are good to go!
X2...to suggest this is an Excalibur quality issue is ridiculous. I have lost many inserts from premium arrows in my Rhinehart and that's not on the arrow maker!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits

Post by newbie »

I agree its part of the game, my issue with eastons is ive broke everyone long before the inserts pull out. I do my best to prep and glue inserts in shafts i make For me or anyone else. But like Norm n and Derrick said rhineharts like to eat inserts.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Our mileages certainly vary. I've been trying to get an insert out for a week now with no luck. I've soaked in acetone and applied heat (not simultaneously) with no luck. Next is the boiling water I guess. Some folks have them fall out and some of us can't get them out. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Big John

Post by Big John »

I also agree!
Cold Hard Targets like Rhineharts or Blocks in the cool months love to eat inserts!
Hard to guess on quality from the factory that makes the Quills. But, since not everyone is equipped to deal with arrows parts and re-doing them, try to keep the targets warm before shooting, especially 3D targets and Rhineharts.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
GGC

Post by GGC »

Globe clearly stated Morrell Bag Target. How did the bag target morph into a solid cold block target in 8 posts? I would say the arrow was at fault.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Bag targets can pick up additional aluminum and iron tips when the stopping fabric cools below 55 F. They seem to be more forgiving during the warmer months.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family