How often do you replace the string ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

F250-2

How often do you replace the string ?

Post by F250-2 »

The serving on my string and the wrap around the loop ends are beginning to fray. I have lost count how many times I have twisted the string to shorten it and get it off the rubber bumpers - At least 6 twists just this winter.
8ptbuk

Re: How often do you replace the string ?

Post by 8ptbuk »

Sounds like you might be ready for a string , The end loop serving is what would concern me . The center serving can be replaced . Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wax yer loops well, jus cause a string fuzzes doesn't mean its done fer. When my string fuzzes i put light coat of wax on string fibers. When you twist string up & it kinks then its time to change it out. Time i have had some some strings i was still shootin after 4 - 5 yrs. I have always had 2 or 3 Excals on hand to shoot. So i may shoot one so much i have to reserve it. I have gotten 1200 shots from them usin a Vixen
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I don't take care of my strings the way most suggest, having said that, my first Boo string lasted 6 years of HARD abuse. I changed it only because I grew tired of the color.
I did change my serving before each season though.

When that string finally did come off, it was like a steel rod, the only place it would bend is the edges of the serving.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
galamb

Post by galamb »

I seem to get about 2 years out of a string.

I shoot A LOT, like easily 3000 shots a year but I also shoot a Vix II which is not uber-hard on strings.

If I was shooting a 405 it may get less than half the string life because all that energy takes a toll.

So if you are looking at your string and "thinking - this is starting to look ratty", then it's time to change it.

Otherwise, you may be thinking more about the string and wondering if it's going to fail at "the wrong moment", than focusing on the shot.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I would say 2 years, or first sign of string drying out. Like said, keep it waxed a bit, don't take much. Jury is out on the serving getting waxed, I wax mine, and rub it in deep, no trigger issues, no separation. I use Flemish strings, Endless Loop, keep an eye on the end serving, if it starts to separate, or open up at the loops, change it.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Any real fraying at the loops and it's game over for the string.
Fraying where there is no contact on the string material is a sign that the strands are breaking down. That area of the string is where there is little to no rubbing strand to strand because it is served.
If you can see any real amount of fraying at the loops it means that the serving has shifted a bunch and may mean the string material is creeping from the break down of the strands.
One of the cons of an endless loop string is that it only has half the number of strands that the string is comprised of so any defects there are more serious. A weakened strand there is twice as serious as a weakened strand in the main part of the string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Every other yr or two re-serves which ever comes first. But then I make my own and enjoy doing so; can't make any more unless I rotate them out :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bazm

Post by bazm »

I have been using my original string on my marrix 380 for 10 years now, wax it twice a season, killed 2 deer every year and I don't see a good reason to change it. I do have a spare on hand just in case
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I use 30-06 String Snot wax on my strings. I just like the stuff, but to each his own. I also use their (30-06) Rail Snot. Stuff is pretty dang slippery, if you ask me. :think:
I wax and lube my Micro about every 50 shots or so. And it's like Dan said, "the juries still out on the serving getting waxed". I don't wax my serving. I have to re-serve my string once each season (I shoot a whole bunch!). A lot of that comes from the angle put on the server by the by the narrow limb draw of the Micro I shoot, in my humble opinion. :eusa-think:
Other than re-serving, I've never had an issue with a string. I check my string ever time I head out to shoot. No frays, no nicks, no "fuzzies"!! :lol: I have several that are a few years old, when not in use, they are waxed, bagged and place in baggies in my backpack.

Time comes for a new string, I know where to get them made!! :wink: Boo!! :thumbup: :wink: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

With the Angel Majesty Center serving material widely used these days no waxing is best. It was found that waxing the center serving promotes separation as the wax penetrates the serving down to the string materials causing it to derail the gripping qualities built into the serving design. I stopped waxing when I switched over this material and have not seen increased wear.

Thanks Boo, and I think Danny Miller for figuring this out.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
frisky

Post by frisky »

This post is from 2015 Just saying.......
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting