Crossbow vs. Rifle?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Richard

Crossbow vs. Rifle?

Post by Richard »

Hi everyone,

when you compare a shot with a Crossbow with a gunshot, is there a higher chance to wound deadly with one of the weapons?
Can you say that a shot with one of these weapons is more dangerous?
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

Nice try "guest", but we have been there and done that :roll:

You sure you are not looking for the "bowsite" :? :P

Before you leave maybe you can expound on the ballistics of a ARROW VS A BULLET for us, or maybe the similarites of a apple and a airplane :D

:wink:

leo
BUCKSHOT

Guess!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

All responsible hunters go for a KILL SHOT!
Enjoy the Harvest!
wabi.

Post by wabi. »

Richard,
Rather than go into a long explanation & all the possibilities, I'd just say the odds depend on the shooter. Any weapon that has the potential to inflict fatal injury has to be used wisely and given respect. A careless person, or ill-advised shot can have serious consequences, so any hunter should be aware of the potential for disaster.
Take only high-percentage shots.
Be aware of what's behind the target.
Stay within the limitations of the weapon in hand and the shooter's abilities.
Always remember that when you pull the trigger it is your moral responsibility to be certain of the fate of the animal (and any living creature in the path of the projectile)! You can't give life back!
wabi
Richard

Post by Richard »

Whats wrong with my question?
I just wanted to know something about the characteristics of a crossbow because I find it interesting to compare the slow speed but heavy weight of a bolt with a fast, light bullet.
Sorry, if this is the "wrong side" for such thoughts... :roll:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks to BUCKSHOT and wabi for answering my question!

(sorry, if I misunderstood something, my english is bad... :wink: )

Arrow vs Bullet

Post by Guest »

The idea of a shot from a rifle I believe is that the kill is provided through blunt force trauma, with an arrow the kill is more acute in that it will cause the animal to bleed out. I hope this correct and helpfull!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Both are quite deadly in the hands of a competent hunter. There is no species of an animal in the world that has been killed by a gun that hasn't been killed by an arrow.

As far as "more dangerous", I am assuming you mean to a human - I wouldn't want to be shot with either...

The arrow shot might give you a few more seconds to contemplate your demise.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you all very much for your posts!
I never killed a deer with a crossbow and was woundering about the process which happens when an arrow hits the target.

Thanks again!

Richard
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Richard,

I have been crossbowing for three years. All the archery shots I've either made or personally witnessed (with my friends) went down like this.

7 yards double lung - 70 yard recovery - fell within eyesight
20 yards single lung & main artery - 50 yard recovery - fell within eyesight
15 yards double lung - 15 yard recovery - fell within eyesight
25 yards double lung - 50 yard recovery - fell within eyesight
40 yards double lung - 200+ yard recovery - deer was pumped up as being persued by coyotes
5 yards spine, heart, lung - fell on the spot - died on the spot
15 yards spine, follow up shot to lungs - dropped on the spot, died on the spot.

If you take only good high percentage shots with a crossbow, recovery is almost certain. If you bowhunt long enough, there will certainly be a shot that doesn't go as planned and that can make for a long recovery or failed recovery. If hit through both lungs, most blood trails are easy to follow and short.

A few years ago I never would have believed archery tackle kills this efficiently if I had not witnessed it myself.

Mike
Last edited by Red Label on Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Red Label,

Regarding those kills, how long did you wait to start tracking on the ones you did not see drop? If you hear a crash 40 yards away after you know you made a good shot, do you still wait an hour to start tracking? (Or do you start looking for survivors at the crash site sooner :wink: )

Nick
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Actually a deer or any other animal that dies from an arrow is dying because of lack of oxygen to the brain. The brain can not function long without oxygen.

That is caused by two things - rapid loss of blood pressure from bleeding out (no blood flow to the brain) AND lung collapse from BOTH lungs being punctured. It is not just merely blood loss in most cases.

Death from blood loss can take time if a major artery is not punctured/cut.

That is why the very best spot to shoot an animal is through the lungs. You've got both - blood loss and lung collapse..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

On all the ones I have shot so far I saw them all drop, and I still waited 15-30 minutes to be sure they were done. I have heard of deer getting up and going hard if you get on them too soon. Most of that time I sat was to stop my knees from knocking so I could climb down! :wink: It was hard to sit there that long!

The 2 spine shots had guys on them almost immediatley as they were obviously expired right beside the stand.

The coyote one (200 yard run) was RJ's a couple years ago. RJ can comment further, but he had enough time to pack up his stand and gear, gather his arrow, take a couple pictures, etc. before tracking...I estimate 15-30 minutes as well. Most of that buck's run was through harvested corn so RJ could see him running and faltering away from the other deer he was running with. Then he heard him crash into a fence and an old car hood (whang!!!) and had pretty much figured the buck was down before he even started tracking.

Mike

Post by Guest »

If you shoot a deer with a hunting rifle, is it usually sooner dead than with a crossbow?