O/T Copperhead Snake Pic

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

coolhl

Re: O/T Copperhead Snake Pic

Post by coolhl »

Deaf jeff wrote:
coolhl wrote:most snakebites are the fault of people drinking and /or doing stupid things
"Ninety-eight percent of the bite calls happen to people who are messing with snakes they found in the wild."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florid ... story.html

If I see an eastern diamondback on the road I take out my snake hook and put him on the side of the road. Hunters should realize that all creatures have their purpose: except mosquitoes and ticks :lol:
norm
so what is their purpose :?: target practice :?:
In my area of The northern Panhandle of Florida the most common large snake of 40 years ago was the eastern chain kingsnake that eats other snakes. Thanks to man's intervention the kingsnake has been almost entirely eradicated and now the most common large snake is either the copperhead or water mocassin.there are always consequences when man screws with nature. Some good, some bad. What is the purpose of man? Snakes never kill for fun. They never kill other snakes because they don't like other snakes color or religion. They only kill to eat or protect themselves.
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

You will have a tough time convincing this crowd (or any other for that matter) that killing snakes is wrong and counter-productive Norm. People allow fear, ignorance and indoctrination to override logic regarding these reptiles.

More people are killed by dogs in north america then by snakes. But should you present a position that all dogs should be shot on sight you would be branded an idiot.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yes sir most ppl. are afraid/scared of snakes in general. I mostly let them alone if'en they ain't right around my walkin area. Speakin of snakes i am sitting here makin MI Yeti a sneakysnake string :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

And you know vixenmaster I would have no problem at all if you were making a snakeskin belt using a real snakeskin. As long as the snake is not on on the protected list and you can legally kill it and use it in a manner that benefits you in some way, go for it.

I am trying to get across to the forum peeps that killing a snake for being a snake is just plain stupid. Most of the folks reading this are hunters. Many would consider themselves conservationists. But there is not one hunting or conservation organization in north America that advocates a philosophy of killing snakes. In fact, just the opposite is true.

People kill snakes because that is what they were taught at an early age. We were able to over the boogy man. We just cant get over snakes. :wink:
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun May 10, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubba

Post by bubba »

I have never had a hate thing for snakes. Growing up sort of had a pet eastern king that lived under our house a good six feet or better and as round as a coke can. Mom dad no one bouthered him, he came and went as he pleased. And in those years we never had any issues with poisonous snakes like rattlers and cotton mouths. Or any other snakes... Thanks to our king snake. Don't mean I'm gonna try and attract copperheads or poisonous ones on my property by leaving tin laying around. No thank you. I leave them alone.. As long as they stay off my property. I've lost one dog from a snake bite, and have seen another dog pass from them. Terrible thing to see a dog die from a snake bite. Just my two nickels........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
rayman

Post by rayman »

Cool, all the Florida guys weighing in. Well there is a lot of snakes in Florida.

I'm a forester and work in the woods a great deal of the time. See a lot of snakes at times. In remote areas, I don't bother them much. Around houses I kill all venomous snakes I see when possible. On my place, I have a standing $50 bounty on venomous snakes.

I've had 3 dogs bitten by rattle snakes. Spent a bundle on two of them. The other was my dog when I was a kid and it died from the snake bite.

Not sure about that stat of 98% of snake bite victims being drunk and/or messing with snakes. Sounds made up to me. I've known of several snake bite incidents and that was the case in two of those. Others included bitten in hand while gardening, kids bitten in leg while walking in yard, and guys bitten in leg while working in woods.

I've had herpetologist buddies and saw Ross Allen a few times when he was doing his snake shows, so nothing new about the save the snakes idea.

Personally, I know snakes eat mice and all that, but I place a much higher value on human life than on venomous snakes. I would prefer that rattle snakes and cottonmouths go extinct than to have one little kid die or loose a foot because of a snake bite. :)
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Jim M wrote:That's the only good snake-a dead snake!

x2 :!: :!:

X3!
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

Snakes give me the creeps. Only thing I have seen around here are Garter snakes, still...
I catch them and relocate them off the property, with the vehicle.
Last night I relocated a 5" Crawdad that had got a hold of one of the dogs noses. I just moved him out of the back yard. Another 5 and I would have had some miniature lobster stew. :D
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

XcaliburFX wrote:
Deaf jeff wrote:
Jim M wrote:That's the only good snake-a dead snake!

x2 :!: :!:

X3!
You guys obviously don't know what you're talking about! Skin that snake, chop into three inch pieces, marinade with lemon juice and olive oil and spices of choice, roll in seasoned flour and deep fry to golden brown. That's one good snake! :shock: :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

I have no problem with eating snakes. But killing them out of Fear or ignorance is inexcusable UNLESS you correctly identify one that is TRULY venomous and endangering you or your family. But saying "the only good snake is a dead snake "is like saying " the only good redneck is a dead redneck."..
Norm
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Good thread! I just got a booklet, "Snakes of Arkansas", it lists 35 of them, only 6 poisonous. I've only seen 2 types.......

It's illegal to kill any snakes in Ar. I have an abundance of copperheads and water mocs. The water mocs are easy to spot in the pond, their backs show when they are swimming. They also have an 'attitude'. I use a warning shot on them [S&W .357 w/ snake shot] lol.

I my book, the copperheads and water mocs gotta go.... They have youngins every spring, so if I were to kill one, I'd prevent a litter, lol.

I'm happy w/ the other 29 doing pest control.
"Eze 18:21"
SEW

Post by SEW »

About 20 years ago, my wife and I visited Village State Park (Arkansas) on the last day the pavilion was open. The park employee took out a female rattlesnake and appx 100 offspring in a large cage, about 100 yds from the pavilion and RELEASED them!! We have essentially a pet ribbon snake in our flower bed that seems to not be afraid of us , and we don't bother it. Nor king snakes in particular. However, rattle snakes, water moccasins , and copper heads have a high death rate around our house.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Heck we played with snakes as kids an got bit many times by black snakes an no fear of snakes here. around our home with the kids, dogs anything that ,s a threat to there safety is fair game.
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

awshucks wrote:Good thread! \

I agree. I also have no problem with the killing of a venomous snake that encroaches or endangers humans or domesticated animals.

I find it interesting that the “only good snake is a dead snake” contingent have yet to post anything justifying their actions except the statement itself.