Matrix 380 or 405 limbs on a Micro??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drkeenan

Matrix 380 or 405 limbs on a Micro??

Post by drkeenan »

Love the 10 inch Micro power stroke but wouldn't mind just a hair more speed. Thoughts??
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Mark

Re: Matrix 380 or 405 limbs on a Micro??

Post by Mark »

Wouldnt you actually loose speed with the longer limbs and shorter powerstroke of the micro????
Exomag ,Exocet,Micro 335
Scorpyd Ventilator
Gold tip laser bolts, Zombie Slayers,Spynal Tapp
Slick Trick, Rage, Magnus bullhead
Danny Miller Strings
Shoot a big one, Let the grunts walk
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Mark wrote:Wouldnt you actually loose speed with the longer limbs and shorter powerstroke of the micro????
I Have no idea? I was hoping someone has done the analysis.
Stock String
Tact Zone Scope
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

Maybe a longer rail I don't think you'd
Bend the matrix limbs enough. .350 gr.
Arrow is plenty fast on the micro
Mark

Post by Mark »

I would like to see what a 405 rail length and micro limbs would produce??? 325+ lbs draw weight , arrow speed? Would the bow hold together?

It would probably be like a bomb waiting to go off :roll: Not so safe!!!!!

Mark
Exomag ,Exocet,Micro 335
Scorpyd Ventilator
Gold tip laser bolts, Zombie Slayers,Spynal Tapp
Slick Trick, Rage, Magnus bullhead
Danny Miller Strings
Shoot a big one, Let the grunts walk
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

It's not the limbs that get you a certain speed, is the PS.

To get more speed out of the micro you have to extend the powerstroke. Another possibility would be the maintain the PS and go to a flat or forward riser, but there's probably a reason they haven't done so, and I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig behind that trigger!

As Mark pointed out, if you put 405 limbs on the Micro platform you'd lose speed, a lot of speed and that's why nobody has done it. If you put the micro front end on any of the Matrix series mainframes I can promise you that you'd never be able to cock it and that's not to say that it would even hold together.

I have tinkered with my Micro. It's a full-camo, MicroMax XTRA and punches above the weight class of the Micro 335. I'm somewhere around 300# of draw weight. I think it's possible to go longer than I did, but it would not be fun to shoot. The micro has some limits because it's not efficient. Pulling 300# to get about 360fps is the limit IMO, any more draw weight isn't really worth the gain in speed you'd get.

Here is my prediction. In the next few years we will see an Excalibur with a bullpup platform and less stout limbs. This way you could extend the PS without adding to the overall length, decrease draw weight, and get more speed with a platform that is similar in dimensions to the Micro.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Good topic.

I am a small framed guy and somedays the micro is a killer to cock the way it is for me. Increasing the poundage more would. Be a no go for me. When I want to have a fun shooting session I take my matrix 330 every time. ;)

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Doc. All the Matrix bows have the same limbs, including the Cub and Grizzly. The Cub right through to the 405 have the same limbs.

Matrix 310 has a PS of 10.9. Micro has a PS of 10.0 . I wonder what that .9 longer PS would do if you put Micro limbs on a 310 :twisted: I would risk it if I had a 310. At your own risk...
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
racking up points

ehntr wrote:Doc. All the Matrix bows have the same limbs, including the Cub and Grizzly. The Cub right through to the 405 have the same limbs.

Matrix 310 has a PS of 10.9. Micro has a PS of 10.0 . I wonder what that .9 longer PS would do if you put Micro limbs on a 310 :twisted: I would risk it if I had a 310. At your own risk...
It is probably in the works :mrgreen:

I haven't tried it yet, but mounting a Micro riser to Matrix mainframe looks like it would be tricky. The geometry of the mounting holes on the Matrix is incompatible with the micro riser. It is easier to machine down a longer Matrix/Exo rail and start with a clean slate for mounting holes.
Last edited by racking up points on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

I'm not thinking a Micro riser on a Matrix. Just swap the limbs on a 310 for Micro limbs (just the limbs). Has to be a 310 because it has the swept back riser.......which will give .9 longer PS. A 330 riser will have a 1.5 longer PS than a Micro........that might be too ambitious. A .9 longer PS may be too ambitious too?

I would give'r a try if I had a 310.......not doing it on my 330 though :shock:
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
racking up points

ehntr wrote:I'm not thinking a Micro riser on a Matrix. Just swap the limbs on a 310 for Micro limbs (just the limbs). Has to be a 310 because it has the swept back riser.......which will give .9 longer PS. A 330 riser will have a 1.5 longer PS than a Micro........that might be too ambitious. A .9 longer PS may be too ambitious too?

The risers and limbs between those two series are different sizes and the mounting holes on the limb don't line up, that's why I thought you meant putting the Micro riser on the Matrix 310/330 mainframe because that's the only way it's happening.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
racking up points

ehntr wrote:A .9 longer PS may be too ambitious too?
If it were practical I would have done it. I think it's possible but the penalty you pay in that system is not worth the payoff IMO.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

racking up points wrote:
ehntr wrote:I'm not thinking a Micro riser on a Matrix. Just swap the limbs on a 310 for Micro limbs (just the limbs). Has to be a 310 because it has the swept back riser.......which will give .9 longer PS. A 330 riser will have a 1.5 longer PS than a Micro........that might be too ambitious. A .9 longer PS may be too ambitious too?

The risers and limbs between those two series are different sizes and the mounting holes on the limb don't line up, that's why I thought you meant putting the Micro riser on the Matrix 310/330 mainframe because that's the only way it's happening.
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm gonna have to talk the general into a M380 to compliment my Micro!! :D :D :D
Stock String
Tact Zone Scope
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I know I love my 380. After the 1-st problem I had as Danny Miller took care of me this bow is awesome- Shot it yesterday approx. 2-hrs- This bow is awesome- Thank God for the C2 crank as it sure makes it a lot more funny to shoot this bow..... :D
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

racking up points wrote: I'm somewhere around 300# of draw weight. I think it's possible to go longer than I did
How Exactly did you modify it?
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser