Too much equipment to take hunting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Too much equipment to take hunting.

Post by Guest »

So I have more stuff than I may need, I still want to be ready in the worst case. I end up carrying extra clothes (coat, raingear) and rangefinder, binos, bow, quiver & arrows, calls & scents, treestand or ground blind & stool, snacks, candy, water, 1st aid kit, firestarting tools, knife & sharpener, paracord, small saw, pistol (licensed to carry concealed carry) are the minimums I carry. I get worn out and hot when I go very far hunting. Any suggestions?

I thought about a wheeled cart but its pretty brushy and lots of trees where I hunt and seems like it might be more trouble than its wort.
claude

Post by claude »

yeah what ever happened to rifle or bow, knife and a pack
wabi

Post by wabi »

I usually take bow (Exocet), arrows, knife, rangefinder, & cellphone.
BTW - here in Ohio it is illegal to carry a handgun when bowhunting even if you have a concealed carry permit!
wabi
striper

Post by striper »

WABI and guest. The same law applies in Alabama. No pistols in possession while you are bow hunting! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:shock: :shock: No hand guns allowed hunting whatsoever up here in the Great White North (Canada).....you guys are lucky you can use your hand guns for hunting.....FYI: years ago when the laws were a little more lax I took my S&W .44mag. hunting with me....i've taken a moose & a few deer with it but you didn't hear that from me!!!!!!!!! :D :D Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

wabi wrote:BTW - here in Ohio it is illegal to carry a handgun when bowhunting even if you have a concealed carry permit!
True in Georgia also, even loaded with snake shot :)

leo
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Guest,

It seems as though you and I share the same desire to be prepared for anything. And if you are hunting solo it is not such a bad thing. Cell phones don't work everywhere. If you get into trouble you may have only yourself to rely on. If all you brought was your x-bow, bolts, and a few candy bars you could get into trouble.

I carry several knives, for different purposes. A very well equipped first-aid kit(more like a survival kit). Binos. Extra socks, gloves(depending on time of year), whistle plus a spare in my first-aid kit, GPS, compass plus backup in first-aid kit, snack food, water, raingear, calls, scents, saw. toilet paper, etc.. About the only thing I don't carry with me that you do is a treestand or groundblind and stool. For deer I just sit on the ground with my back against a large rock or tree, just as one would for turkey, if you are still and wearing head to toe camo, they won't see you.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

BUy an ATV.

It has taken all the work out of walking to the bush for me!
-Richard-
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

One essential that I always include is a roll of toilet paper. It is one of the most useful items that I know of. Aside from the obvious purpose, it is a good fire starter material. It can be layered inside your hat or gloves for additional insulation. It makes a great trail marker, and if its the biodegradable type it will disolve with the first rain. It's great for cleaning up your trophy for pictures etc, etc. Don't leave home without it. :D
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Early season , take very little in. I ware shorts and t-shirt carry my mesh camo. If it's a late hunt a light and knife. This year I added something new ... Thermacell. I realy works great !