Ontario 2015 MNR Regs Out Today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Exomag6.5

Ontario 2015 MNR Regs Out Today

Post by Exomag6.5 »

So....I knew the online regs would be out soon and I've been checking every few days just to see how badly the Ministry messed up adult moose tag allotment for this fall.
In 2014 the allotment in WMU47 was 57 bull tags and 28 cow tags....6 bull and 6 cow for 2015!!! 12 adult tags to be shared out amongst approximately 3900 applicants.
I know WMU47 wasn't hit as hard as some areas farther north but 2 seasons previously I'd already given up on a great spot in WMU28 where the allotment dropped from 220 bull and 237 cow tags to 16 bull and 14 cow tags....457 down to 30 shared out amongst 6900 hunters. For a little more icing on the boot-in-the-arse cake, calves are completely off limits for the first 14 days of the season in the areas that open October 10. That's right....zero calves allowed until October 24 in WMU's 22 - 42.
The MNR didn't forget to share the pain with the bow hunters.....zero calf allotment - adult moose only in the early season archery areas.

Sign me off as bitter, disappointed and maybe a little cranky.
I like the old things best....old friends, old knives, classic firearms, seasoned firewood, vintage wine and aged scotch.
Carved limb Exomag
Matrix 355
Too many knives. Favs-my Grandpa's Buck knife, my Dad's Schrade Sharpfinger and my DaGriz.
MADMAX2

Re: Ontario 2015 MNR Regs Out Today

Post by MADMAX2 »

Time to go to Quebec or Newfoundland by! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Don't feel too badly, here in B.C. our provincial government is leaving the number of allocations alone.....but they are reducing the amount resident hunters get by giving up to a 40% increase to the guide outfitters association of b.c. and reducing residenthhunter allocations by the same amount. They believe it's better to give the tags to the outfitters to generate more $$$$. I'm disgusted and would love to see all resident hunters boycotting our provincial hunts completely. Let's see what the GOABC can generate on it's own. :?

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Well, just checked our area near Hornepayne.
We own a place near there, WMU 21b.
As it is in the regs just put out there is no calf season for 2 weeks after the regular gun opening.
We won't have enough for a guaranteed tag for either adult so as far as I'm concerned they have just ended our moose hunt.
I've had enough with what goes on with the MNRF.

They're surplus tag allocation system(for whitetail deer) is totally unfair.
If you're near a computer surplus tag is an instant response.
Try the phone system for hours to get through and find out all tags gone.
And I heard from the members who said "who doesn't have a computer?", well the olders members of our deer crew don't.
If they'd just make an attempt make it fair that'd be a start...
I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for listening to my rant, it really didn't help though...I'm sure my blood pressure is still through the roof.
Exomag6.5

Post by Exomag6.5 »

......and another thing. All hunters that purchase a moose licence and apply for tags are charged the full pop....$55.70 + service fees this year. Whether we win the lottery and get a tag or come up disappointed we all have hand over our money.
I wish the MNR would look at a system where, when we purchase our licence we pay a reduced application fee - say $10 - $20 and if you are successful and get drawn THEN ding us for the increased amount for the tag.

It kinda feels like, as a hunter all of the processes are getting just a little more difficult every year, the tags are a little harder to get every year, they are more expensive with less chance of getting drawn, and the restrictions are a little more confining. All of these little changes take a bit of the fun and joy of it. It almost feels like we're very gently being nudged towards the conversations I've heard from a few of the senior hunters I know...it's all just become too much of a pain - I'm not even going to bother applying this year. Fewer hunters = fewer complaints.
I like the old things best....old friends, old knives, classic firearms, seasoned firewood, vintage wine and aged scotch.
Carved limb Exomag
Matrix 355
Too many knives. Favs-my Grandpa's Buck knife, my Dad's Schrade Sharpfinger and my DaGriz.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Exomag6.5 wrote:So....I knew the online regs would be out soon and I've been checking every few days just to see how badly the Ministry messed up adult moose tag allotment for this fall.
In 2014 the allotment in WMU47 was 57 bull tags and 28 cow tags....6 bull and 6 cow for 2015!!! 12 adult tags to be shared out amongst approximately 3900 applicants.
I know WMU47 wasn't hit as hard as some areas farther north but 2 seasons previously I'd already given up on a great spot in WMU28 where the allotment dropped from 220 bull and 237 cow tags to 16 bull and 14 cow tags....457 down to 30 shared out amongst 6900 hunters. For a little more icing on the boot-in-the-arse cake, calves are completely off limits for the first 14 days of the season in the areas that open October 10. That's right....zero calves allowed until October 24 in WMU's 22 - 42.
The MNR didn't forget to share the pain with the bow hunters.....zero calf allotment - adult moose only in the early season archery areas.

Sign me off as bitter, disappointed and maybe a little cranky.

Here is liitle statistics for you to ponder?

Success Rate for calves during archery hunting is approximately 0.18% .
Which translates into 1 calf is harvested for every 1800 hunters.

CC
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Oh yeah...and another thing. What about someone who has spoken for and booked either of the first two weeks of the gun Moose season as vacation and then does not get an adult tag?
Time to start writing your MP and all other pertinent parties.
Has anyone heard anything out of the OFAH?
I hope they're looking into it or pretty soon the only Moose hunt the residents of Ontario will be able to enjoy will be taking one in on Wild TV.
Or maybe we'll have to purchase a licence to watch that!!!
galamb

Post by galamb »

All of the changes that came about were identified in a "Moose Strategy" that was published back almost 7 years ago now, it has just taken them "this long" to put it in place.

The OFAH, the outfitters organizations etc have known about this "for years" and have probably done what little they could, but the changes are pretty much word for word of the recommendations that were made - so that tells me "they have no influence".

By the time this was opened for "public consultation" the regs were probably long written.

The City of Toronto doesn't care about Moose Hunting, therefore, the "government of the day" doesn't care about Moose Hunting - because outside of Toronto doesn't matter and Moose don't vote.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

You are right Galamb .
Unless it puts money directly in the pockets . ie The Fiberals. They don`t care about anything outside of Toronto .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Doe Master wrote: The Fiberals.
How fitting a name for Kathy and her crew. :wink:
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Fred T wrote:
Doe Master wrote: The Fiberals.
How fitting a name for Kathy and her crew. :wink:
LIEBERALS is quite fitting as well.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Exomag6.5

Post by Exomag6.5 »

To kind of expand on your point Graham....
I feel bad for the outfitters and lodges in the North. First they have the spring bear hunt taken away. I'm sure this put a few of the small guys under...only makes sense - the spring hunt was the first real opportunity to get some bookings and generate income after 5 months of winter - well before the summer business showed up.
Now with the drop in tag allocation it can only mean more hunters deciding to stay home, another cut to their income.....another season closer to closing.
Carved limb Exomag
Matrix 355
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

Expect tag allocations to be down for a long time. MNR only surveys WMU's every 5 years so they wont increase allocations until the next time they survey the units. In the unit I hunt in, the same group of natives shot 18 moose this winter...who manages that...right...nobody.
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
Exomag6.5

Post by Exomag6.5 »

I talked to a lot of hunters about moose this week and the discussions concluded 3 ways;
1) Our group is no longer giving our $ to the MNR - we've started researching moose hunts in Quebec....3 groups 18 guys total.
2) Our group will continue buying licences and hope for an adult tag. We'll give the MNR 3 - 5 years to build the herd but we want to see an increase in tags...2 groups 9 guys total.
3) Our group is done buying tags, it's not worth the hassle - we are getting out of moose hunting....2 groups 9 guys total. These last bunch of guys were also the oldest hunters that also complained about the loss of paper applications/switch to computer based application.
As I stated earlier, I'm also concerned about the effects this will have to businesses in northern Ontario. Just from the guys I talked to there are 27 people that will no longer be purchasing groceries, gas, propane, restaurant meals and overnight hotel/motel stays on the Hwy #11 and #17 corridors.
The effects of reduced tag allocation ( with, fingers crossed, a rebound in the moose population) are going to be significant.
Carved limb Exomag
Matrix 355
galamb

Post by galamb »

I still bought my licence on the 21st when they came out.

In my WMU (25) the guaranteed group size went from 2 to 3 (ya, 25 is up there and not popular) and is reflected in the group size needed.

But I'm not crossing my fingers for this year. The tags dropped by about 50% (was 95 bull/64 cow - now 60 bull/36 cow tags), far greater than the "advertised" 15% drop across the province.

Myself and my hunting partner WILL stay in the draw for a few more years. Why, because we are in our 50's and we hunt a pretty rugged area (all hunting is done "on foot") that we are getting a "little old" to be hunting so we might only have one or two more hunts in us (given that now instead of a tag every second year we "might" see two tags in the next 5 years if nothing else changes).

I don't have 5 or 10 or 15 years to wait for the moose to recover (if they ever do), so it comes down to 1) hunt within the new restrictions the best I can or 2) give up moose hunting in Ontario forever.

If I was 5 years older, option "2" would probably be the choice I made.

And all of this could mean the end to Moose hunt for all but those who use outfitters.

If I, and guys like me aren't there to mentor the younger guys who may want to tag along (with their Dad's, Grand-dad's etc) then they will never develop the interest.

Not many guys wake up one day in their 30's or 40's and decide Moose Hunting is something they want to try if they haven't been exposed to it.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS