A Nightmare of a Turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mr meat

A Nightmare of a Turkey

Post by mr meat »

Well got set up just before 5:30 this am!About 20 to 6 i here my first gobble :D then another! Just two birds gobbling,waited about 10 minutes and started with some soft calling and they answered so i shut up.Around 6 i see a black missile headed for the ground infront of me to my left :D :D I couldnt see him gave a call and he gobbled so that was it for me!

He came in like he was on a rope :lol: Nightmare was up and cross hairs on the turkey just waiting for the shot.He was just under 20 yards when i think he seen something he didn,t like and started back the way he came! My excitment got the best of me and i let the Zombie fly.Down he went but back up and down again.I jumped up and gave chase and he started running but couldn,t fly :x

Well after a bit i realized that i left my arras back at the tree :x .He then crossed a open field and into a swamp!Well this is one time i,m glad no one was watching :lol: The swamp was black goop with fallin ceaders and i new it was going to be hard to find! After 20 minutes i find him up against a fallen tree but alive!Got no arras so grab a stick and set my bow down!.Well this is the part i don,t want to tell :oops: Well he takes off so i give chase Well a 20 lb turkey don,t sink like a 200 lb man :lol: Well after 10 feet or so off comes one boot :shock: and im not letting him go, so i keep going and dam if i don,t loose the other and the turkey! and wet upto my knees :lol:

Dam that swamp water is cold in sock feet :lol: Find my boots and bow and start looking again! Bam there he is :shock: So get a land mark and head back to get my arras! Get back and put another in him but think i could of wrestled him by then but i had had enough :lol: 20lbs,8in beard,inch spurs :D That is one hunt i will never forget :lol: Took me over a hour to put him in the bag :lol: No pics as the two of us looked like drowned rats :lol: :lol:
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
fergie

Re: A Nightmare of a Turkey

Post by fergie »

Hahahaha........ sounds fun
not one gobble heard by me and my father-in-law, had a hen come into about ten feet of us. Was a great morning anyway.
Congrats on your bird.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wahooo what an excitin hunt that was fer real. Congrats on yer hard earned snurky
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Way to stick with it..... now I am glad I chose the magnus and will shoot fot the head / neck.... :)

No gobbles or turkeys seen for me this morning. My 4 year opening day lucky streak ran out on me today.LOL I knew it was a matter of time before I got skunked. That is what keeps me going back out!!!!

Cheers...

Jeff
Last edited by Carnivorous on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

:lol: congratulations on your hard earned bird. Something to be said for keeping the quiver on the bow I guess. Thanks for sharing your story, I'm sure not many would've. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Tom

Post by Tom »

mr meat wrote:...........................
That is one hunt i will never forget :lol: Took me over a hour to put him in the bag :lol: No pics as the two of us looked like drowned rats :lol: :lol:
Mr Meat :D :D :D you know what they say, NO PICTURES, it didn't happen :D :D :D.

Just think, too bad you did not have a hunting partner with you with a video recorder. You could have been the next u-tube sensation or better yet........... viewing it around the campfire at BooFest :D :D :D.

On a better note, congrats on not giving up and getting your bird (as well as recovering your boots :D)

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

Congrats on your bird and great story!
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
fergie

Post by fergie »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Way to stick with it..... now I am glad I chose the magnus and will shoot fot the head / neck.... :)

No gobbles or turkeys seen for me this morning. My 4 year opening day lucky streak ran out on me today.LOL I knew it was a matter of time before I got skunked. That is what keeps me going back out!!!!

Cheers...

Jeff
There's still the afternoon hunt.........
not for me the farm where the turkeys come from onto mine have a backhoe working at the edge of the bush, saw it yesterday but thought they'd be done before the weekend ended!!!!! I'm screwed until they finish, hopefully sooner than later.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Congrats!!!! I would have payed money to see that!!! :lol:
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

sounds like you had fun , that's one you will never forget. congrats on you bird . that's why the are called Thunder Chickens. :)
W.M.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Don`t need pictures !!!
I`ve got a mental picture that brings a smile to my face . :)
As for a video of the chase . You would have to have the music of George Jones playing in the background . " And the chase is on and here comes pride in the backstretch . " :lol:
Congratulations on your turkey. :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus

Post by newbie »

Congrats Wes! I shoulda been there with the camera :lol:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Wes, congrats on a turkey kill you'll never forget.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Oh come on...you can't tell a story like that and not supply pics.
That's a story that's worth telling for life. Laughs all around every time.
:lol:
strum

Post by strum »

I for one :D enjoyed the story. leaving the arrows behind?..thats priceless :lol: :lol:
loosing you boots in the mud ?..we would pay to see that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16