Could someone explain all the string choices?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Could someone explain all the string choices?

Post by learn2flyfish »

I see Flemish. maybe continuous or infinite loop? Stock Excal strings. I have a new to me Pheonix that has a stock string. I like how it shoots but the string has some wear and it needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
cdn.redneck

Re: Could someone explain all the string choices?

Post by cdn.redneck »

Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

String choices there are 2 of them flemish or ENL style. There are half dz or more diff materials they can be made from. Diff materials have diff pro's n con's not hard to deal with. Jus ask yer stringmaker
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

Endless loop strings, in my humble opinion are to be taken off and replaced with a stronger safer Custom Flemish, There are some excellent makers here on the forum, and they can make a string to what you want. A faster string? a slower more forgiving, Just ask the maker what you prefer. Just go to the trader section i personally recommend , Boo, Vixenmaster, nchunter, 8pt, Cant go wrong with these guys. ..............
Last edited by bubba on Tue May 05, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As already mentioned, there are two string types. The stock string you have is called endless loop. That's because of the process of making it. It's essentially one strand wrapped continuously around posts and then the ends are served and the center is served. The other is called Flemish Twist. It's a number of different strands twisted together to form one solid string. The loops are not served but the center,of course, still gets served. The number of strands and the type of material used will determine the perceived feel and sound of the bow and will also affect speed. Generally, more strands used equals quieter, more stable and slower. Again, this can depend on the material used. Also, the Flemish Twist style is going to be gentler on the bow and will feel like a softer shot but can be just as fast or faster than an endless loop string. Both will fling arrows but the Flemish is much more enjoyable to shoot and looks much cooler than the endless loop....that's just a bonus.

I highly recommend going with the Flemish Twist. Buy two strings and get about 75 shots out of the first one then swap out strings and do the same. This will ensure your strings are shot in should you have to replace one. NOTE: when you put on a new string, set your brace height 3/16" above your desired finish point. ie.- I keep a 3/4" brace height with my M380 so when I put on a new string I set my brace height at 3/4" + 3/16". I've found that with most materials 3/16" seems to be the magic number for string stretch/settling within 75 shots. You can find a wealth of information at Boocustomstrings.com Hope this helps.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Yes thanks. That helps a lot.

Now what exactly is brace height? Is it the distance that the string is behind the line marked on the rail? That line is worn off on my bows rail.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

learn2flyfish wrote:Yes thanks. That helps a lot.

Now what exactly is brace height? Is it the distance that the string is behind the line marked on the rail? That line is worn off on my bows rail.
Brace ht. is the settin you put yer string at. The single or double line on the mainframe/rail is don't go lower but you can go above the 2nd line too preload a new string. Sweet spot is the brace ht. yer model likes don't matter if'en its 3/4" above the joint at Riser or 1 1/4"
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As Vixenmaster was saying, the brace height is measured from the seem where the riser (the metal 'block' the limbs are attached to) meets the rail, to the front of the string. It's important to keep that the same to maintain a constant point of impact. I marked the side of my rail with a felt pen where the front of the string should be. This gives me a great quick reference. If you have bumpers on your bow a general guideline is 1/4" between them and the front of your string. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...I have purchased from three different Flemish custom string makers on this forum...If I mention names emotions will be stoked both pro and con with a long list of accolades and support or unwarranted negative, derogatory accusations made...my purchase from one of them caused an uncalled for statement by one of the forum members that I have absolutely nothing against...a pm to ask him to confidentially tell me what was done to him went unanswered...I believe that some just like to ride with the pack...

...you need to come to your own decision and be comfortable with that decision...prices are all over the board, so if that is an issue purchase accordingly...

...my take is each craftsman puts his personality into his string...similar to a fine wine or cigar...some might view this as better or worse...you be the judge of that not someone else...

....oh, and its not that I won't buy from someone else on this forum...it's just that I have not gotten to them yet...

...good luck formulating your own conclusions...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

In your post you say you have a Pheonix with a stock string going bad and needs replacing. If you just want a replacement string and your in the U.S. Give Danny Miller a call. His # is 704-483-2312 he is the man in the U.S.A. with all your Excalibur needs. He also makes a very good Flemish string, and makes most of the stock strings for Excalibur. In fact he is a pleasure just to talk with. No Drama, or soap opera stories, just good old Excalibur related info. And if you are in Canada call the home office, they also can fix you right up. And Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Excalibur crossbow. Let us know how things work out...........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

bubba wrote:In your post you say you have a Pheonix with a stock string going bad and needs replacing. If you just want a replacement string and your in the U.S. Give Danny Miller a call. His # is 704-483-2312 he is the man in the U.S.A. with all your Excalibur needs. He also makes a very good Flemish string, and makes most of the stock strings for Excalibur. In fact he is a pleasure just to talk with. No Drama, or soap opera stories, just good old Excalibur related info. And if you are in Canada call the home office, they also can fix you right up. And Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Excalibur crossbow. Let us know how things work out...........

... Well put!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

With all this having been said, the stock Excel endless loop string for your Phoenix, is a good string, and has the advantage of being very easy on your bow in case of dry fire. I guess that's the reason Excal put them on their bows for years. Just a thought.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Agreed. I make my own both EL and Flems, but the stock Flemish is a very good buy and a good sting as well.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!